What's new

What's the purpose of SCENTED shave soaps?

It seems to me that most shaving soap scents fade and don't last very long after you're done shaving, plus the fact that most of us apply aftershave or cologne afterwards anyway with the scent we want to stick with us.

I don't think scents actually contribute to the performance of the lather. Although some helpful additives like Bergamot or menthol may briefly give off some pleasant fragrance as a byproduct.

So, what's the purpose of all the different shaving soap scents in artisan soaps? Is it primarily for the pleasure of enjoying a nice scent during the shaving experience? That's the only thing I can think of.
All scents fade, even colognes eventually fades. I think you nailed it at the end. The scent is primarily for user enjoyment while using the product. Some people really value scent and I would bet most artisan soaps are almost identical otherwise so they need the scent to help distinguish themselves and get repeat customers. While the scent may not literally improve performance, if you are enjoying the scent it probably does have some kind of effect on perceived performance.

If you can obtain some of this you will understand. Pure luxury!!
I had to look this soap up and all the reviews I am seeing on B&B call it an Arko clone, scent and all. One person said it is like Arko but amped up on the scent 1000 times. So are you being sarcastic or maybe juts love the Arko scent. I have never seen this soap before so I have no reference and can only go by what others have said.

Who wants an unscented soap when you can shave with these?

proxy.php

proxy.php

I had to look this soap up and all the reviews I am seeing on B&B call it an Arko clone, scent and all. One person said it is like Arko but amped up on the scent 1000 times. So are you being sarcastic or maybe juts love the Arko scent. I have never seen this soap before so I have no reference and can only go by what others have said.
What!?! timetofly being sarcastic! Wouldn't dare! Yeah....right.:biggrin1:

All kidding aside, this has a FAR better smell than Arko. IMHO, the slickness is a bit better than Arko also.

Great question!
Here's my take...

I love scented shaving soaps! At one stage, I had 120 soaps in my rotation.

There were many that caused frag burn, they were easy to eliminate.
Then there were a few that cause tingling or other minor issues such I kept in rotation.

One thing I noticed is that MANY soaps caused "sub-clinical" reactions. This is where I didn't experience any burn, tingling etc but I would feel the lather was dry and without glide, no matter how hydrated the lather was.

Or, the blade would feel rough and harsh on my skin. Or the shave itself wouldn't be close.

It took me a while to realise what was going on and so I culled all the soaps that caused these sub-clinical reactions.
I was down to around 40 soaps.
Then covid came along and my skin became too sensitive for scented soaps.
After the final culling, I'm down to 4 soaps plus my own unscented soap, which I use 95% of the time!

I feel if the skin can handle it, then it's a very enjoyable part of the shave. But one should also be aware of the sub-clinical effects of scented soaps.

Yeah that would be fun to see....reminds me of the stupid crap people did with masks on during Covid...the one picture I'll never forget of the kids in band playing flutes, trumpets, etc with a mask on with a hole cut in the middle...🤦‍♂️
This made me think of back when I worked in a foundry and the mold operators would cut holes in their masks so they could smoke while wearing them. These were also the same guys who drilled a ton of holes in their hard hats to increase ventilation.

Enjoying the wonderful scents. This morning's scent notes featured Maple, earthy spices and Campfire. Just amazing!

IMG_5808.jpg

Top Bottom