What's new

Mystery hones... Let's see what you have

Good afternoon friends. I have two little rocks that I have wondered about ever since finding them. I think one (the thinner one) is Belgian Blue Slate, or close. The other I’m not so sure about

They came from Europe. Any help identifying them would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 1629645View attachment 1629646View attachment 1629647View attachment 1629648View attachment 1629649
I have a purple one that's cut exactly like one, on the right, I got randomly at some point(also from Europe). Is it pretty fast? Leave an aggressive edge? From my long trek of research and buying a newer version(the newly mined la lune) I've come to the conclusion that it is indeed a "la lune" but it's just marginally slower than my new one. Feel, density, slurry, everything matches for a la lune. If I had to guess, I would guess yours is that or a Welsh slate. Either way fantastic finishing stones. A Welsh slate will give a smoother shave, la lune leaves a pretty aggressive edge, but are good on slurry and smoking fast. The other could actually be the same. Ironically mine came with a black slate 1" x 1" x 5" that behaves exactly the same but is actually a little faster than my la lune.

@HoneThis The one on the right I agree with Empire Straights is in fact a La Lune, and a nice chunk of it. Some feel they can leave an aggressive edge. I have used them successfully with Glycerin to help tame the aggression. I personally like their edges. Let us know how she hones. The other one, I have no idea.

@HoneThis The one on the right I agree with Empire Straights is in fact a La Lune, and a nice chunk of it. Some feel they can leave an aggressive edge. I have used them successfully with Glycerin to help tame the aggression. I personally like their edges. Let us know how she hones. The other one, I have no idea.
Do purple vintage La lunes appear to have sorta 3 dimensional looking patterns on the surface? It’s hard to describe and the pictures from my camera don’t do it justice really, but looking closely at it reveals a sort of cool looking 3d marbling pattern. Something about the composition gives it depth visually.

Yes La Lune have that 3D effect. It has the heavy chanfer too. I would call it a La Lune more likely than a Welsh slate.

The thin stone kind of reminds me of a Special stone, Only for good razors. I am not 100% but it kind of looks like one.
Can you take daylight pics with and without slurry it will give a better idea if it is one or not.

Good afternoon friends. I have two little rocks that I have wondered about ever since finding them. I think one (the thinner one) is Belgian Blue Slate, or close. The other I’m not so sure about

They came from Europe. Any help identifying them would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 1629645View attachment 1629646View attachment 1629647View attachment 1629648View attachment 1629649
I would say the thicker one looks more like Belgian Blue Whetstone than the thinner one. Or an old La Luna/SSofGR.

The thinner one looks like slate. Do you see purple or red garnets in the thicker stone? That would be a dead giveaway for BBW.

Edit: that's what I get for not reading other people's replies.

Here's a crazy stone I got this week. it is in a well fitted box, narrow and was dished about 1-2mm. It is primarily sparkling blue grey but has this crazy swirl feature on the side of green, yellow and red. The swirl colors are very hard while the main stone is pretty soft. I think it is a BBW but have never seen these colors on one. Oh and it is an amazing knife stone, just ridiculously quick and fine. I took a few nicks out of my pocket knife from cutting fish bones and made the bevel almost pure mirror at the same time. Swarf just pouring off the stone and knife.

20230401_093945.jpg
20230401_093925.jpg
20230401_094002.jpg
20230401_094037.jpg
20230401_093756.jpg

So BBW?

Here's a crazy stone I got this week. it is in a well fitted box, narrow and was dished about 1-2mm. It is primarily sparkling blue grey but has this crazy swirl feature on the side of green, yellow and red. The swirl colors are very hard while the main stone is pretty soft. I think it is a BBW but have never seen these colors on one. Oh and it is an amazing knife stone, just ridiculously quick and fine. I took a few nicks out of my pocket knife from cutting fish bones and made the bevel almost pure mirror at the same time. Swarf just pouring off the stone and knife.

View attachment 1630626View attachment 1630627View attachment 1630628View attachment 1630629View attachment 1630630

So BBW?
I've got one that's got those greenish pearlescent spots o think they're manganese. Description sounds right too. It's one of my favorite knife and razor stones. The yellow coticule on it isn't as fond as the bbw but it's probably tied at first for finest coticule I own. I wish I could find a 10" x 2.5" piece of the same bbw with a matching slurry stone. I'd pay a pretty penny for it if I could find one but even pictures from other people collection do match it very often. If that is indeed what it is cherish that stone because it's the type of bbw that bbw fans are talking about a lot of times. They are few and far in-between, even more so than to shelf coticules.

This one came from the UK - looking at the poor quality sellers pic, took a punt hoping it was a long old Coti.
Myst10x1.5UK.jpg

Pic's do lie, this is what she looked like on arrival.
green2.jpg

And after a quick wipe down to get rid of the sludge.

Green1.jpg

Stone is about 10" x 1.5" x 1.5" deep and would say olive green in colour. Dished about 2 mm in the middle, so might take a while to flatten.
Any idea what this one is?

Legion

Staff member
This one came from the UK - looking at the poor quality sellers pic, took a punt hoping it was a long old Coti.
View attachment 1632182

View attachment 1632186

View attachment 1632187

Stone is about 10" x 1.5" x 1.5" deep and would say olive green in colour. Dished about 2 mm in the middle, so might take a while to flatten.
Charnley Forrest, I think. Or an Idwal.

View attachment 1632182

View attachment 1632186

View attachment 1632187

My vote is for a Llyn Idwal. If any of those brownish streaks are actually in the stone though maybe a Charnley.

View attachment 1632182

View attachment 1632186

View attachment 1632187

Interesting one. It's certainly one of the two; some things say CF, some say Idwal.

I'd be leaning Charnley from those pics.

Charnley Forrest, I think. Or an Idwal.
After about an hour scrapping off all the white glue that had this one stuck in the old box and hitting it with an Atoma 140 to flatten, she came up quite nice.

This was the dished side that had done all the work, the other 3 sides were quite flat.
LIorCF1.jpg

and this was the side of the stone, came up really nice. Have to work out now which side will give better results. Quickly rubbed my banger Blue Nakiri over it and it quickly turned it into a razor (another bald spot on my arm).
LIorCF2.jpg

After about an hour scrapping off all the white glue that had this one stuck in the old box and hitting it with an Atoma 140 to flatten, she came up quite nice.

This was the dished side that had done all the work, the other 3 sides were quite flat.
View attachment 1632722

and this was the side of the stone, came up really nice. Have to work out now which side will give better results. Quickly rubbed my banger Blue Nakiri over it and it quickly turned it into a razor (another bald spot on my arm).
View attachment 1632725
I've never held one but that might be a pdso friend. Good find.

View attachment 1632722

View attachment 1632725

That pattern sure looks Idwal like to me, the color is a bit different however.

That pattern sure looks Idwal like to me, the color is a bit different however.
What throws me off is the pores/ small inclusions on the surface. I've not seen that in any of my llyn Idwals. If it is its a unique one and pretty much assuredly a great stone for something. I've yet to find one I didn't love, I've got all different grits and each one is amazing at what it's good at and all, but the second finest one, are fast.

Edit: the patterning on the second picture looks very much like one I have and one Oli has.

What throws me off is the pores/ small inclusions on the surface. I've not seen that in any of my llyn Idwals. If it is its a unique one and pretty much assuredly a great stone for something. I've yet to find one I didn't love, I've got all different grits and each one is amazing at what it's good at and all, but the second finest one, are fast.

Edit: the patterning on the second picture looks very much like one I have and one Oli has.
I think the pores/inclusions ( if you are referring to the black streaks ) on the face ( first pic ) are actually the black dots side-on that you see on the side ( 2nd pic ).
The side that was used and dished would appear to be the side that is normally the unused side of a stone, not the top or bottom.
The stone is relatively square, 45 mm previous face and 40 mm side, so will probably try both options and see if there is discernible difference in performance. At a guess, would think that previously used side will be quicker.
It wasn't that difficult to lap on the 140, reasonably soft, maybe on par with a Coti or BB.

I’ve developed an interest in slates lately. They seem to have good finishing potential and are normally go pretty cheap. This one was sold as a “ Vintage English Welsh Slate barber hone”. Whatever that is. Its appearance and dimensions led me to believe that it might be another fine type Yellow Lake.

If I didn’t know better I would have called it a Thuri. It is very similar in almost every way. It even smells like a Thuri. Water also tends to bead on the surface without slurry or soap. But it lacks any blue or green colour. Side by side with the boxed Yellow Lake it’s a close match. This one does seem to be fossilized inclusions which are absent from the YL. A list of the stones properties is below. It looks like it was cut down at some stage from it original length.

Size: 160.4 x 44.2 x 12.3 mm
SG: 2.73
Vinegar: Strong reaction
Hardness: Easy to lap. Quite soft.
Grit: Very fine finisher. Higher than 10k SG HR

9BB8E778-014D-4F0C-ADE6-925059A2A9EC.jpeg

Attachments

• A25752BA-6CFC-42C2-9641-A492FD32E5A1.jpeg
    A25752BA-6CFC-42C2-9641-A492FD32E5A1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 54E02AF0-E0F3-4E4E-98FD-8956606F17D0.jpeg
    54E02AF0-E0F3-4E4E-98FD-8956606F17D0.jpeg