What's new

Mystery hones... Let's see what you have

Screenshot_2023-03-11-19-42-32-21_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg
5" Washita looking stone
Screenshot_2023-03-11-19-43-01-55_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg

6" something. Could be an Arkansas, Hindostan or even coticule. The real mystery stone of the bunch.
Screenshot_2023-03-11-19-43-34-72_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg

8" slate, Thuringen or BBW type of rock. Well used. Another head-scratcher.
Screenshot_2023-03-11-19-44-28-86_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg
Screenshot_2023-03-11-19-44-46-32_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg

This one at least, I'm fairly certain is a Washita, albeit a pocket stone.

All the stones are from the same seller, separate listings, hence the odd selection. Collectively, at $33 + shipping, I figured one or two might be good stones. Any guesses?

I tossed a bid at that 8" but Im not really buying stones right now... I suspect it's a Thuri, but you'll have to clean it up and post pics to confirm when you get it.

I tossed a bid at that 8" but Im not really buying stones right now... I suspect it's a Thuri, but you'll have to clean it up and post pics to confirm when you get it.
I assumed the stones were someone's sharpening stone progression, and bid accordingly. Turns out they were picked up at a flea market in Roanoke VA, so it's more of a mix and match setup. I'd be thrilled if it turns out to be a Washita, Hard Ark, and Thuringian, but for the price, I'll be happy if one or two are good.

I've had spectacularly good luck so far. Even my one boxed 'dud' that I thought could be an Llyn Idwal ended up being a labeled Pike India medium/coarse combo, not what I was looking for, but not a bad stone either, and one I was happy to get.

I think I'm finally coming down to the end of my stone buying spree. Any others probably won't be random 'questionable' stones from eBay, but deliberate purchases to fill in gaps.

I assumed the stones were someone's sharpening stone progression, and bid accordingly. Turns out they were picked up at a flea market in Roanoke VA, so it's more of a mix and match setup. I'd be thrilled if it turns out to be a Washita, Hard Ark, and Thuringian, but for the price, I'll be happy if one or two are good.

I've had spectacularly good luck so far. Even my one boxed 'dud' that I thought could be an Llyn Idwal ended up being a labeled Pike India medium/coarse combo, not what I was looking for, but not a bad stone either, and one I was happy to get.

I think I'm finally coming down to the end of my stone buying spree. Any others probably won't be random 'questionable' stones from eBay, but deliberate purchases to fill in gaps.
Those pike India combo stones are in my opinion the best knife/tool synth made, and that was a long time ago. The fine side is great for setting the bevel on a razor though. The only way it'd be better is if the fine side was a pike lily white/ no 1 washita.

Those pike India combo stones are in my opinion the best knife/tool synth made, and that was a long time ago. The fine side is great for setting the bevel on a razor though. The only way it'd be better is if the fine side was a pike lily white/ no 1 washita.
The old stones shared the same yellow color between the fine and medium, yes? Nowadays the fine is a reddish color. I don't know of a method to visually tell the difference, other than the color. Here's what the stone looked like after a Simple Green soak and a flattening. The printing faded as the soak grew longer. Now the only visible print is 'oilstone' and 'agents.' 'of pike' was visible, but faded to obscurity.
16787778972058640841636918261882.jpg
16787779836755871009482999134117.jpg

I calculated the dry weight of the stone divided by the weight of the stone suspended in water... the result is 2.711

Sounds about right; perhaps not the very purest black ark in the world, but certainly within the range of what they can be. Could be one of those 'Dunston' Arks, but I think they're apparently meant to be a bit more slate-y, and yours looks like very much novaculite.

Nice pickup whatever way! :)

Sounds about right; perhaps not the very purest black ark in the world, but certainly within the range of what they can be. Could be one of those 'Dunston' Arks, but I think they're apparently meant to be a bit more slate-y, and yours looks like very much novaculite.

Nice pickup whatever way! :)
I thought the dunston blacks were in the slate 2.9 territory anyways, and that is clearly an ark. Lower range for a trans or black, but still clearly a hard ark and not a Dunston stone.

Nice score!

Last edited:
Yeah that's a not so clean translucent black ark as best as I can tell. MAYBE some other kind of nova, but like Oli said, the corners are telltale novaculite fractures.

And not super low for trans/black. Quartz is 2.65. 2.7 actually indicates some heavier impurities in the stone. The purest Trans arks I've seen fall in 2.6-2.65 range.

I thought the dunston blacks were in the slate 2.9 territory anyways, and that is clearly an ark. Lower range for a trans or black, but still clearly a hard ark and not a Dunston stone.

Nice score!

I've never had a Dunston so not sure about the SG tbh. If they are slates, then yep - probably around 2.8 - 2.9.

2.71 would be very high for a trans or black ark. The purest translucents will be around 2.64 - 2.65. Blacks can be a little higher than that, cos they're not quite as pure.

Yeah that's a not so clean translucent black ark as best as I can tell. MAYBE some other kind of nova, but like Oli said, the corners are telltale novaculite fractures.

And not super low for trans/black. Quartz is 2.65. 2.7 actually indicates some heavier impurities in the stone. The purest Trans arks I've seen fall in 2.6-2.65 range.
My thoughts exactly.

comica1679009135708.png

Dried out, it looks like a Thuringian. Wet or oiled, looks a bit different. Has clouds of black flecks with yellowish blobs. Overall stone color is grey, leaning towards greenish. Slurry is a yellowish green grey, trending towards a yellowish white as it dries. Stone has 3 dark fissure lines bisecting the stone, all at a roughly 45° angle. It fractures like shale or slate. Still working on flattening the other side, which has a bit more going on as far as streaks and coloring. Will try to get pictures of that side up tomorrow. Hope that all helps to i.d. this thing. Haven't put a blade on it yet.

Edit: dark triangle in lower left corner of stone is beveled off, not a change in stone color.

Last edited:
Top Bottom