What's new

Mystery hones... Let's see what you have

This is after another day in the simple green half diluted. I must say I liked it better mottled brown. It darkens a little when wet but nothing like it was. What’s going on here? Lack of moisture or oil?

View attachment 1207291View attachment 1207292View attachment 1207290View attachment 1207289

Interesting. This really reminds me of mine other than the pattern on top. Mine has the same type of ends and turned crazy white. over time sitting it started to darken some again, but nothing like it was. The top is like glass smooth, but cuts well and has more feel like a CF. I thought maybe an odd Turkey or CF and since it finishes to a high level and reminds me a CF in feel and finish and doesn't smell of sulfur while lapping I was leaning that way. First two photos are before simple green soaks rest are after.

oddstone.jpg
strangeone2.jpg
Charnodd.jpeg
strangecf7.jpg
strangecf8.jpg
strangecf9.jpg
strangecf10.jpg
strangecf11.jpg
strangecf12.jpg

Oh wow that looks very similar. Mine doesn’t smell like sulfur when lapping either. The way yours got frosty around the edges first is like it’s drying out, as if there’s still moisture or oil in the center. Do you get really good edges off yours?

I think some have said you could soak turkey stones in hot oil to saturate them? Ours need a little bit of rejuvenation!

Oh wow that looks very similar. Mine doesn’t smell like sulfur when lapping either. The way yours got frosty around the edges first is like it’s drying out, as if there’s still moisture or oil in the center. Do you get really good edges off yours?

I think some have said you could soak turkey stones in hot oil to saturate them? Ours need a little bit of rejuvenation!

Mine does finish to a high CF razor grade stone quality. Possibly that something is still trapped in the center, but it soaked for sometime in simple green and has no smell of oil. Being that I never got any sulfur smell I don't think it is a turkey stone. I think either CF or some similar unknown stone. I use water on mine with some glycerin get an oil viscosity to the water.

Sort of halfway into lapping this. Heavy, reeks of wet plants when wet. Fairly hard. I may actually seal the sides when done lapping, not sure yet. Marked with initials and a date on either end. I will follow up when I have this cleaned up more.
20210123_182747.jpg
20210123_182801.jpg
20210123_182816.jpg
20210123_182822.jpg
20210123_182831.jpg
20210123_183439.jpg

Dug out the hardest jnat tomo I have that gives off a different color of slurry to this and sat there slowly coaxing slurry from this thing. It's quite hard but it eventually gave up some. Just stayed on the slurry till it felt like it wasn't helping the cause much and then finished on the barest trace. Edge looks better than it did, it took on an added layer of refinement and it is very consistent. The edge does seem pretty aggressively sharp though so this could go either way out of the gate.

Legion

Staff member
OK guys. What have I got? Writing on the inside of the box looks German, but I can't make it out. Saw Marks on ends. From the sides and a scuff on top a redish, rust colour can be seen. The majority of the stone is a fairly even dark grey colour, the slurry was a little lighter. 4x17.5cm

DSC00526.JPG
DSC00527.JPG
DSC00529.JPG
DSC00531.JPG

I will follow up when I have this cleaned up more.

Any guess on what it is? I wish I could help you but frankly if your or a couple other experienced folks here are stumped......then likely the answer remains part of history. Enjoy all the stones and the posts. That’s another cool one.

Legion

Staff member
Got this today. Supposedly came from the estate of a barber.

From the pics I thought it might be a Jnat, but I'm not sure now.

DSC00533.JPG
DSC00535.JPG
DSC00536.JPG

Looks cool. Bet it'll look even better if you polish the surface and take some wet pictures. Looks pretty roughly finished on the surface from these pics. No clue what it is though. Freckles look vaguely coticule-like but nothing else about it looks like a coti to me.

A very very interesting dual layered sandstone. I mean, hindos are so variable it may well be one but it looks like none I have ever seen, is softer than any hindo I have ever seen and it's just reacting odd to be a hindo... It's willingly giving up oil for one... It might be one of the list of sandstones that were quarried in na for hones in the past besides the usual suspects, but who knows..
20210203_171932.jpg
20210203_171944.jpg
20210203_171949.jpg
20210203_171958.jpg
20210203_172004.jpg
20210203_172011.jpg
20210203_172019.jpg

OK guys. What have I got? Writing on the inside of the box looks German, but I can't make it out. Saw Marks on ends. From the sides and a scuff on top a redish, rust colour can be seen. The majority of the stone is a fairly even dark grey colour, the slurry was a little lighter. 4x17.5cm

View attachment 1213151View attachment 1213152View attachment 1213153View attachment 1213154
There is a German company named Witte that is mostly known for scissors, not at all sure there is a connection to that stone.
I believe the second line reads "Solingen Cutlery Set" or close to that.

Legion

Staff member
There is a German company named Witte that is mostly known for scissors, not at all sure there is a connection to that stone.
I believe the second line reads "Solingen Cutlery Set" or close to that.
That is quite helpful, it has put me on the right track at least.

The Witte scissor company has only been around since 1970, but Googling that name I found a brand of vintage straights called A. Witte. They were around from 1880 to 1930, so that would be our company. My best guess is the stone is some sort of Thuringian, sold or marketed through that A. Witte razor business.

Last edited:
That stone with the initials above shaves very well. I need to try a different razor but it pulled a very nice edge out of a razor nothing else was satisfactory to my tastes thus far as far as edge characteristics. It probably has more to give with an easier task.

Top Bottom