What's new

My review of the Fine Accoutrements Aftershave Line

So, I blind-requested all five of the Fine aftershave line for Christmas, and Santa (a.k.a. the LOTH) made this a Merry Christmas for me indeed. As a public service announcement, I will present my observations regarding each of the five currently offered Fine aftershaves beginning with the popular American Blend.

This AS, inspired by Yves St. Laurent's Rive Gauche, caught me a bit off guard due to descriptions of it as barbershoppy. I am a 49 year old American and cannot recall any old school barbershop smelling like this. Clubman Original, on the other hand, captures that essence perfectly for me, but I digress. Other pertinent descriptions mention it smelling like Barbasol Original shaving foam, Old Spice AS and lasting anywhere from 30 minutes to all day. To say the least, I was intrigued.

Following an excellent shave with Parker Sandalwood and Shea Butter, I must admit, upon smelling AB for the first time out of the bottle and applying it initially, I was confused and not a little bit disappointed. The scent profile I had in my mind based on the descriptions did not match up with what I was experiencing. It didn't smell like Barbasol, a barber shop, nor Old Spice (Original or Classic). Spiciness (embodied in Star Anise?) dominates upon application and for 30 minutes to an hour afterwards. I was about to write this off as an "Oh well, it's not bad, wearable but not inspiring." I didn't wait long enough apparently.

It wasn't until 2-3 hours in that AB began to come into its own, and I had that moment of epiphany and revelation conveying "Ah, now I understand. Now I get it." It's not that AB smells like either Old Spice, a traditional barbershop, or Barbasol Original individually; rather it smells like all of those rolled into one--spicy, warm, clean, masculine, with a hint of powder. I was elated!

AB is clearly noticeable on my hands five hours later (even after washing them) and my wife can detect it via nuzzle long after that, perhaps 8-9 hours later. I have oily skin, so even in the current cool to cold weather, face feel is silky smooth and not dry at all. Initial application provides a slight, appropriate sting--nothing in the range of CO9T, for example--and just the right amount menthol to cool things down. The menthol sensation is still noticeable 20 minutes later.

In summary, AB threw me for a loop, and, in the end, I am thoroughly pleased having American Blend in my possession. Wife and son like it, and my feelings go well beyond "like." Thrilled to have it in my rotation. Next up, Fine Platinum.

I really enjoy the AB sample that I got as well! I could be just imagining it, but I seem to be smelling it hours upon hours after my shave. It and L'Orange Noir are my two favorite scents.

I had bought 3 samples of the Fine A/S one of them being the American Blend. When I first used it I was undecided if I liked it or not. Then the second time I put it on my wife said to me "Now that's a nice aftershave you have on." She never comments on my A/S. So when she said that I knew it was a keeper. Now I love the stuff. I have to lock it up so I can give my other A/S's a chance.
BTW I'm 67 years old and the only barbershop scent I can remember is Bay Rum.

Can you comment more on the performance as opposed to the scent?

How does it compare to the performance of Captain's Choice?

By performance, do you mean face healing or scent longevity? Actually... Both are about the same, which is to say that American blend and captains choice scents last about the same, yet don't heal as much as Speick.

I had bought 3 samples of the Fine A/S one of them being the American Blend. When I first used it I was undecided if I liked it or not. Then the second time I put it on my wife said to me "Now that's a nice aftershave you have on." She never comments on my A/S. So when she said that I knew it was a keeper. Now I love the stuff. I have to lock it up so I can give my other A/S's a chance.
BTW I'm 67 years old and the only barbershop scent I can remember is Bay Rum.
My 43 year old wife said it smelled good when I solicited a comment in the morning, but later in the day--mind you, about eight hours later--she said, "That aftershave really does smell good," this from 10 feet away. I said, "Is it still projecting?" to which she responded, "I'm getting it."

Can you comment more on the performance as opposed to the scent?

How does it compare to the performance of Captain's Choice?
Scent longevity: 8-10 hours
Healing effectiveness: great face feel with no drying effect on my oily skin. Silky smooth. One thing I've noticed is that while I still might have some slight irritation after the first application of aftershave, including with Captain's Choice, which calls for a 2nd application--plus I like to layer a 2nd application with AS's that don't last long--with the Fine line, I find this unnecessary. The alcohol content alone and lasting fragrance make a 2nd application unnecessary. Of course, a good soap helps this along, so I make sure that when I use Fine, I also use a top-line soap. In the end, I will use less Fine as a result and save money.

Having said that, I love the post-application feel that AS's like Captains Choice, Speick, and Aqua Velva provide, and they are superior in that department, but I am perfectly content with Fine's post-application toning feel. It's a nice change from the more moisturizing effects of the AS's listed.

By performance, do you mean face healing or scent longevity? Actually... Both are about the same, which is to say that American blend and captains choice scents last about the same, yet don't heal as much as Speick.
Interesting. I don't find Captain's Choice to be on the same planet with American Blend in regard to silage, projection, and longevity. CO9T is the longest lasting of the bunch, and I can generally only coax 4-5 hours out of it, calling for a post-lunch reapplication.

8-10 hours? I love fine aftershaves and wish they lasted that long... But sadly, no.
I believe my oily skin assists in the longevity, but for the American Blend at least, that was my experience. I'll be reporting on Platinum later today, though I can already tell it isn't as heavy as the AB.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
AB does have longevity- and calls into question the barbershop reference Clubman does own. AB smells like shaving itself, not a barbershop.

I think.

Now on to the Platinum and Vetiver! I still don't have those.

yet.

AA

Fine Platinum

This bad boy is a powerhouse. I paired it with Stirling Executive Man shaving soap, which made sense to me as both take their inspiration from Aventus, the uber-popular and uber-expensive fragrance from the House of Creed. Admittedly, I have never smelled Aventus, which I hope diminishes any bias I might have in judging Platinum.

Following an excellent shave with the Executive Man, I practically had butterflies of excitement while going through my post-shave ritual of powdering my manly parts with Clubman talc and rolling on my deodorant in anticipation of slapping on some liquid virility. Whoa! This juice packs an olfactory punch upon application. Sharp, citrusy, crisp, unmistakably manly, I was overwhelmed a bit while I waited for dry-down, which took more than a few minutes. The sharp edges did not begin to dissipate for a good 30 minutes, but when they did, I was amply rewarded with CEO in a bottle. Much lighter and crisper than American Blend, Platinum lives in spring and summer, though I would not hesitate to allow it to vacation in the cooler months before a date with my bride. This versatile fragrance is at home in the office, the board room, on a romantic rendevouz. I would hesitate to wear it lounging around the house or going to church.

As with American Blend, Platinum really begins to excel after a couple of hours. All citrusy sharpness is gone and one is left with classy elegance. I applied at 5:15 a.m. and met up with my wife, who had not yet experienced the Platinum, for lunch at 11:30 a.m. As she entered my office, with effort I intentionally told her not to come close to me yet. I allowed her to approach to about five feet away and asked her if she could smell my aftershave. She mentioned that her nose was a bit congested but she would give it a shot. "Oh, yeah, I'm picking it up. It's very nice." At this point I allowed her to approach my neck, take another whiff and describe the fragrance. "Clean, fresh, springy" were her exact words. "I really like it," she added. Mind you, this is over six hours after application. As with American Blend, this scent was easily detectable on me more than eight hours later, though I couldn't resist reapplying a bit in the late afternoon.

Platinum is another winner from Fine. Obviously, my wife adores it, as do I. My biggest challenge will be waiting for warmer weather to put it into regular rotation, but that just gives me something to look forward to come spring. What's your experience with Platinum? Next up: Clean Vetiver, modeled after Guerlain Vetiver.

Nice reviews - thanks!
AB was just too much for me. Lasted 12hrs+ on me and gave me a headache after 6-8 hrs.

Can you compare Stirling Exec Man AS to Fine Platinum? I enjoy Exec Man, and may replace it with Platinum when it's gone.

Looking forward to the rest of the line! :001_smile

Nice reviews - thanks!
AB was just too much for me. Lasted 12hrs+ on me and gave me a headache after 6-8 hrs.

Can you compare Stirling Exec Man AS to Fine Platinum? I enjoy Exec Man, and may replace it with Platinum when it's gone.

Looking forward to the rest of the line! :001_smile
I would recommend watering down the AB a bit if it's too overwhelming and/or perhaps combining with some witch hazel.

Regarding Executive Man, unfortunately I don't have it in my fragrance wardrobe yet, though I do have the soap as I mentioned. I'll try to include it in my next purchase.

Perso I tried the Vetiver, nice scent but to call this an aftershave ..., ?I am still looking for "healing" factor.(ingredient)....it is just a cologne ....sorry IMHO

Tam

Perso I tried the Vetiver, nice scent but to call this an aftershave ..., ?I am still looking for "healing" factor.(ingredient)....it is just a cologne ....sorry IMHO

Tam

I haven't tried either of the Fine Vetivers, but I use AB, L'Orange Noir and Platinum. I love the scents, but I get better face feel from many other splashes including my Floids, Wm Neumanns, Myrsols, etc.--even Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer and English Leather.

Top Bottom