What's new

My review of the Fine Accoutrements Aftershave Line

Can you compare Stirling Exec Man AS to Fine Platinum? I enjoy Exec Man, and may replace it with Platinum when it's gone.
I have both, as well as the actual Creed Aventus cologne itself. I think Stirling does a much better job cloning the scent, and it's a stronger scent, and I think it performs better than Fine. Just my experience.

I have both, as well as the actual Creed Aventus cologne itself. I think Stirling does a much better job cloning the scent, and it's a stronger scent, and I think it performs better than Fine. Just my experience.

If one wants an Aventus clone AS with great face feel, I recommend Floid Black.

But how do you feel about the Platinum on its own merits?

I have really sensitive skin and usually need a balm, and will put on a splash after that sometimes. So is there no skincare in these whatsoever? Just alcohol?

But how do you feel about the Platinum on its own merits?
I think it's fair to compare it to Stirling, since they're both aftershaves trying to mimic the Aventus cologne, so I feel that's pretty close to its own merits right there. All I can really do is compare aftershaves to other aftershaves.

I think Fine's packaging looks a lot better, but I didn't get much of a scent with Platinum, or any of the other Fine aftershaves I sampled with Maggard's. I just don't really smell anything, other than the faintest of whiffs of something Aventus-like and then a lot of alcohol smell. It has menthol in it too which I don't like very much. Personally I didn't care for it, and I gave these Fine samples a good month to try. I wanted to like it since it gets a lot of buzz around here and youtube shavers as well, but I was underwhelmed. I'm aware I'm in the minority with this opinion, but that was just my experience.

So I am going to chime in a bit for those going simply off the samples. Mind you, this is just my opinion. I know this is going to sound crazy, but of the three Fine *** that I own (AB, Platinum, and L'Orange Noir) I find that they work best as a splash and not a spray. When I have tried samples of these in a tiny atomizer, I was usually unimpressed. It wasn't until I had a bottle in hand and poured some into my hand that I realized what these were about. I know that sounds ridiculous but that is how I feel about them. Each person is going to form their own opinion on these but I think you don't get the full effect with a tiny spray.

That being said...AB is my hands down favorite AS. Does it moisturize my skin...not so much. But I don't get that from a lot of ***. I think there is some glycerine in it though. It will really depend on my mood or how my skin feels for the day that determines which AS or balm I reach for. Anyway...great reviews. I will say that I also get good responses on AB later in the day..especially with the wife! AB seems to get more complex a couple of hours after application.

Interesting. With the Maggard's samples I did indeed screw off the top of the bottle and poured some into my hand instead of spraying. Even so, it is entirely possible that something got lost in the transfer from the original bottles to Maggard's plastic spray bottles. After all, when my package from Maggard's arrived all the bottles were wet from one of the aftershaves' fluid leaking all over the other bottles. I do really really like Fine's branding and packaging from what I see in pictures and videos, so maybe I should get a regular bottle of Fine and do one last test. Worst case scenario, I've got an awesome bottle to pour Stirling's in. :tongue_sm Even the full bottles are a bargain compared to the tub of ABC cream I'm thinking of buying that I have absolutely zero need for.

Interesting. With the Maggard's samples I did indeed screw off the top of the bottle and poured some into my hand instead of spraying. Even so, it is entirely possible that something got lost in the transfer from the original bottles to Maggard's plastic spray bottles. After all, when my package from Maggard's arrived all the bottles were wet from one of the aftershaves' fluid leaking all over the other bottles. I do really really like Fine's branding and packaging from what I see in pictures and videos, so maybe I should get a regular bottle of Fine and do one last test. Worst case scenario, I've got an awesome bottle to pour Stirling's in. :tongue_sm Even the full bottles are a bargain compared to the tub of ABC cream I'm thinking of buying that I have absolutely zero need for.
Yeah I had a sample or two from Maggards leak also. If you give them a call or an email they usually make things right. That being said, if you buy a bottle and don't like it, I am sure there are some on here that will trade with you or you could give it away.

ive tried 4, both vetivers, plat and lorange. i dig the lorange the most. plat seems fresh generic, but cologney to me, and the vetivers are nice
For some strange reason L'Orange Noir drys down to a smell I associate with cigarette butts and leftover drinks. I assume this is a personal problem. I can also get whiffs of this 12+ hours later and I'm no fan of an AS that overstays its welcome (see Clubman anything).

I should put the bottle up on BST

Love L'Orange Noir. Also like both vetivers. I have dry skin, so I apply balm most of the time after AS, regardless of brand, so the lack of "skin care" doesn't really bother me. Plus, applying balm after Fine seems to give the menthol a boost and feels great!

I've got samples of all of them, and with the exception of American Blend, they're pretty good. AB was ok at first, but it's just too strong smelling for me, and lasts all day. It smells like I didn't rinse my shaving cream off, even though I have no such cream or soap that smells like it. It's just a generic shaving cream scent. I'm in a personal restraint where I have to use all my samples and it's killing me trying to use this stuff up. I cut it 50/50 with witch hazel, it turned white like a milk and is still too strong for me.

I have American Blend and Snakebite. I shave my entire head and neck/cheeks around my beard. I'm quick to shadow and usually have to have every 2 days or so, thus I need something that can heal, not just smell nice. I have used Lucky Tiger, Clubman, TOBS, etc. Fine leaves me with the best tone, feel, and heal I have experienced yet. I picked up AB blind at Merz in Chicago, and it takes best blind buy of any kind in 2015. IT wears like an EdT and is still projecting 10 hours later on my skin. That's insane. Aftershave just doesn't do that. Granted, it's pretty much my entire dome, but still. Scent is amazing and I'm quickly developing brand loyalty/dependence. Oh, and Snakebite... good bracing God! If you need a cup of coffee after that, see a doctor.

Fine Clean Vetiver

I don't like it. There, I said it.

To be honest, I don’t like the opening to this one; the first 30 minutes are unpleasant to my nose. Vetiver on top of vetiver, I have a hard time picking out anything else. It is not until an hour in that this one becomes just ok to my nose. In the same way that L’orange Noir (review soon to come) mutes the brightness of the orange notes, so CV is muted and not in your face, which can be a welcome change in one’s AS arsenal, especially someone like me who normally prefers bold fragrances, but in this case, CV didn't make the cut.

While CV could be safely worn year round if it's your thing, I would think it would excel on days matching its scent profile—cloudy, damp, muted, cool days. On the other hand, I’m wondering how this one would provide contrast to a hot, humid day. That experiment will have to wait a few months. Longevity, silage, and projection are not nearly as pronounced as in other Fine offerings, see Platinum and American Blend, which reach EdT levels. This one does not reach EdC levels, as I could barely detect it two hours in. I've worn it three times now and will be gifting it to someone who likes their vetiver straight. Unfortunately, I do not. Wife doesn't either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom