What's new

My Merkur Story

My first HD razor was a Merkur Vision, but after it seized up so badly that I could not only no longer adjust it, but not change blades any more, I purchased a Merkur HD Classic. Obviously I was still a newbie, and didn't know that other brands existed. The HD worked well for me, but within the first year the plating on the bar started to chip and peel, and the metal beneath pitted as well. This made shaving painful and irritating.

A well-respected member of B&B told me that Merkur had some problems with their plating a while back, and that if I contacted them, they were good about taking care of the problem. So I contacted Merkur by email.

"My Merkur Hefty Classic plating has come off the guide bar making shaving painful.

I heard from some experts that you had some plating problems a few years ago, and that you replace the defective razors.

I would be happy to send the razor back to you, or send pictures.

Thank you for your consideration."

This was their response:

"Hello,

it is not true, that in former times we had problems with the chrome
plating.
It is fact, that water and lime work on the material, this is normal
wearout.

You may send to me some pictures so that I can decide if I can help you.

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Dipl. Ing. Ulrich Wiethoff
- Prokurist --

DOVO Stahlwaren GmbH & Co. KG
Böcklinstr. 10
D -- 42719 Solingen

Tel.: 02 12 / 23 00 1 -- 14
Fax: 02 12 / 31 36 12
E-mail: [email protected]
Internet. www.dovo.com"

I then sent them the pictures you see below. After no reply for more than one week, I inquired three more times, many days apart, but each time was met with the following: "Squash schrieb 'the body of my email.'"

I know that I will never buy a Merkur product again. Have any of you had similar problems/replies?

If someone can explain to me how limescale can corrode a razor, I would be happy to listen. If limescale corroded, then why do shower heads with a lime problem stop spraying. Wouldn't they spray more?

What I would like to know is why a cheap faucet/fixtures can survive my water, but a $70 razor can not.

Sorry to hear about your problems with the Merkur HD. They really need to change how they plate their razors. The plating should not be peeling off within a year of using it and the excuse that your water is causing it is starting to sound like a broken record. Keep us updated about this issue.

Wow I have probably 2 dozen vintage Gillette's and none of them have that problem and I know that those merkur's cost a lot more. That is shameful for them to just brush you off.:thumbdown

Also Merkur makes the classic and HD handles and knobs out of chrome plated brass, if they would just make the razor head out of chrome plated brass or stainless steel, this would make for a much better razor and you wouldn't have problems with the plating coming off or corroded metal underneath.

Top Bottom