What's new

My journey

So after reading about all the different grades of badger hair, I canceled the impulse buy of the Rudy Vey pure badger brush. Density and scrub is fine, but prickly tips are not. Looking forward still to receiving the Zenith Manchurian.

Thinking of ‘investing’ in a Simspon Chubby 2 or Duke 3. Which Simpson grade of badger hair most resembles the 2-band Paladin knots?

The Zenith Manchurian Chubby arrived yesterday. Compared with the Paladin, the tips are prickly but not in a bad way. I expect this prickliness might disappear after a good break-in period? There’s plenty of backbone but it still splays without much effort, which is pleasantly surprising. There’s great face scrubbing/massage action, more so than any synthetic I’ve used. At 28mm, it’s also a huge knot, so great for 3017’ing a soap. In all, a definite keeper. Did I mention I love the color and shape of the handle? I can’t believe it retails for $98! Does anyone know how it compares with a Simpson Chubby? @SgtCrppls — I think you may have owned this brush at one point, yes?

B2E93082-9A59-4A92-B715-42A80F197040.jpeg

51C06C48-39B1-478C-BE1D-EF2C37E2DBDF.jpeg

Last edited:
The Zenith Manchurian Chubby arrived yesterday. Compared with the Paladin, the tips are prickly but not in a bad way. I expect this prickliness might disappear after a good break-in period? There’s plenty of backbone but it still splays without much effort, which is pleasantly surprising. There’s great face scrubbing/massage action, more so than any synthetic I’ve used. At 28mm, it’s also a huge knot, so great for 3017’ing a soap. In all, a definite keeper. Did I mention I love the color and shape of the handle? I can’t believe it retails for $98! Does anyone know how it compares with a Simpson Chubby? @SgtCrppls — I think you may have owned this brush at one point, yes?

View attachment 1508080
View attachment 1508081
I have owned the Zenith Manchurian before and is an incredible brush for the cost, I have never owned a Simpson’s Chubby 2 Manchurian, the one I had was a 2 band Silvertip which is totally different. But you have yourself a great brush and handle shape enjoy.

After reading the “Top 5 Aftershaves” thread and other online reviews, Proraso Green and Petralon Classic seemed like popular choices, so today, in good B&B fashion, I ordered both.

First SEptember shave with the E2 injector. No nicks or cuts, and not much razor burn. It was an OK shave; I’ve had better. We’ll see if I can do better.

The fun part, not pictured below because not matchy matchy, was the Proraso Green aftershave. There’s the initial sting, then a cool burn that lingers. I distinctly remember hating menthol in preshave products, but I didn’t mind it here. It made me forget about the razor burn.

B9B2E1B1-8DE1-426D-8513-C049CBDE940C.jpeg

The Shavemac is prickly, very unlike the Paladin. Is that because the Paladin D9 knot is treated or “gelled”? Honestly, I’m a bit disappointed; B&B made out the Shavemac 2-band Silvertip to be the best there ever was, but I don’t agree.

50th birthday shave in and without further ado, here’s the long awaited brush reveal.

During the last Sue Moore Memorial Fundraiser, I was taken away by the beauty of the Paladin Honey Noir Beehive, and while I didn’t win the auction (it sold for a wonderfully crazy amount), I was determined to buy one if it ever became available, and the wait was worth it, because I managed to snatch an even better high-rise version! This brush is a work of art! Pictures can’t describe its beauty.

I was very hesitant to purchase a badger brush, and while a synthetic option was available, I decided against it because of past negative experiences with some synthetic knots and because a Paladin wouldn’t be a Paladin without badger hair.

I ‘prepped’ the knot to make sure it was ready for today’s shave, and the brush certainly didn’t disappoint. The face feel is similar to the Mühle STF, and there was more than enough lather generated for a 4th and even 5th pass. Flow through was excellent.

Overall, I’m very happy with this gift to me. Paladin certainly makes very beautiful brushes, and I wish they offered make the Mühle STF knot as their standard synthetic.

View attachment 1482271

View attachment 1482272
Searching for feedback on the Paladin High-rise Beehive I came across your updates on it. We seem to be heading down some similar paths on the brush front (less the Shavemac). Can you comment on the handle ergonomics of the brush? Primarily wondering how it handles in bowl lathering but welcome any feedback or thoughts. My normal preferences would be towards the Chief or PK-47 but something about this handle shape is appealing.

Searching for feedback on the Paladin High-rise Beehive I came across your updates on it. We seem to be heading down some similar paths on the brush front (less the Shavemac). Can you comment on the handle ergonomics of the brush? Primarily wondering how it handles in bowl lathering but welcome any feedback or thoughts. My normal preferences would be towards the Chief or PK-47 but something about this handle shape is appealing.
The ergonomics are great. Being a taller brush (high-rise), it works for bowl lathering by holding the brush near the base. But it also works great for face lathering; I hold the brush by the beehive and bury the base into the palm of my hand.

That said, I buy brushes based on attractiveness and bristle performance. If I like the shape and feel of a brush, I make it work by adjusting my hold. For the few minutes it takes to lather the face, ergonomics shouldn’t matter unless there’s limited range of motion of the hand or fingers due to arthritis or other conditions.

I too like the looks of the Chief and PK47. My next Paladin purchase will be a Micarta in either of those two shapes. That said, I love my high-rise beehive!

The ergonomics are great. Being a taller brush (high-rise), it works for bowl lathering by holding the brush near the base. But it also works great for face lathering; I hold the brush by the beehive and bury the base into the palm of my hand.

That said, I buy brushes based on attractiveness and bristle performance. If I like the shape and feel of a brush, I make it work by adjusting my hold. For the few minutes it takes to lather the face, ergonomics shouldn’t matter unless there’s limited range of motion of the hand or fingers due to arthritis or other conditions.

I too like the looks of the Chief and PK47. My next Paladin purchase will be a Micarta in either of those two shapes. That said, I love my high-rise beehive!
Thanks and you are reading my mind on material choice :) I am also planning Micarta for the Chief or PK47 but holding out for another drop/refresh on some of the patterns currently sold out. But, I saw some high rise beehive options in satin antique ivory and butterscotch. Something about their vintage aesthetic is calling me.

My membership in BONDS is in serious jeopardy. I’ve shaved for 4 days straight, each 3-passes, each at minimum a DFS result, and today’s fourth shave was perhaps the best of them all. No irritation whatsoever. I think my days of every-other-day shaving are at an end; breaks on weekends only.

On a different note, I think the Shavemac is breaking in. It’s not as prickly as it once was.

3594EBD6-3678-4729-8827-DB664C9D0343.jpeg

Top Bottom