What's new

My journey

As curiosity still digs deep in my noggin, I post a pic of @SgtCrppls ’ blue Persian Jar-style brush from RV and bet a similar handle with a Mühle STF 25mm knot would be in the caliber of “dreamy” and for face lathering independent of shaving.

Still bonkers for a photo of your birthday brush, but will pretend I’m patient as we’ve reached the ages of not rushing birthdays.
The Persian Jar is beautiful and definitely on my wish list. Having experienced the STF knot with Rudy’s B&B Contributor masterpiece, I’m developing a taste for ‘high-end’ brushes and certainly my 50th birthday brush will fit that description. Unfortunately the reveal and 1st use won’t happen for another month or so… I have a few more days to enjoy my 40s. 🙂

Off to Costa Rica tomorrow, my first trip to Central America. The Vector and Tabac shave stick are packed and ready!

Happy Father’s Day to all my B&B friends! The wife surprised me today; she placed an order for a new razor as a Father’s Day gift! I won’t say which one, except that it’s a B&B favorite. Can’t wait to try them both out!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
You already have the Blacklands Vector and Tatara mix-n-match galore, so…

King C. Gillette? Fatip Grande? Wolfman WR2 1.25mm?

2 shaves in the the Blackbird Ti, my Father’s Day gift. Things I like: excellent grip, super lightweight and nimble, intuitive angle, feels ‘safe’, despite highly efficient shave, with so far no cuts or nicks. What I dislike but can tolerate: blade feel, most pronounced over the lips… not a deal breaker. It’s definitely a keeper.

Sunday is the great Birthday brush reveal. I can hardly wait!

50th birthday shave in and without further ado, here’s the long awaited brush reveal.

During the last Sue Moore Memorial Fundraiser, I was taken away by the beauty of the Paladin Honey Noir Beehive, and while I didn’t win the auction (it sold for a wonderfully crazy amount), I was determined to buy one if it ever became available, and the wait was worth it, because I managed to snatch an even better high-rise version! This brush is a work of art! Pictures can’t describe its beauty.

I was very hesitant to purchase a badger brush, and while a synthetic option was available, I decided against it because of past negative experiences with some synthetic knots and because a Paladin wouldn’t be a Paladin without badger hair.

I ‘prepped’ the knot to make sure it was ready for today’s shave, and the brush certainly didn’t disappoint. The face feel is similar to the Mühle STF, and there was more than enough lather generated for a 4th and even 5th pass. Flow through was excellent.

Overall, I’m very happy with this gift to me. Paladin certainly makes very beautiful brushes, and I wish they offered make the Mühle STF knot as their standard synthetic.

989AE082-4881-4BBD-AB75-E2D7621E06E2.jpeg

79498417-B4BA-4121-9FE0-6DCB063E490F.jpeg

I’m really enjoying the face feel of the Paladin badger brush. This and the Mühle STF really put my 4 PAA brushes to shame. I may have to get rid of some of them to make room for another RV, a Simpson, Morris & Forndran, Brad Sears, Shavemac… what else am I missing? 😂

Our getaway in San Diego has been taxing. The little one started with sniffles and cough during the car ride; he tested positive. And while he’s already recovered, the wife has unfortunately tested positive yesterday and is suffering with chills, sweats, and cough. My oldest and I have so far been spared any symptoms, and thank the Lord for this 3-bedroom AirBnB that allows us to sleep separately.

On the bright side, I’m rediscovering the Henson. It’s a bit too light for my taste, but the shave is otherwise easy and smooth. A bit more heft to the razor would improve its efficiency, which makes me wonder about the Ti.

29803C25-FD08-492E-B220-4FD967F614A0.jpeg

thombrogan

Hoping your family heals quickly, @sarir97

Damning faint praise on the Henson, though: When your family’s health consumes every waking thought, the Henson isn’t half-bad

Hoping your family heals quickly, @sarir97

Damning faint praise on the Henson, though: When your family’s health consumes every waking thought, the Henson isn’t half-bad
Thanks for the well wishes @thombrogan. The Henson is fine, don’t get me wrong. Paired with a fresh Nacet, my last Sunday’s shave was excellent, with a BBS result and an great post shave feel. Tuesday’s shave, OTOH, was only average, DFS, with needed touchups. I’m not sure what changed? Perhaps I applied less pressure than I should have, and less than I did the previous outing. In any event, some more weight to the razor will improve its efficiency, and maybe even smoothness. I look forward to testing it out with a Feather blade once I get home.

SOTD, Thursday, August 4th, 2022

After a long hiatus, I took the Tatara Masamune out for a ride. Loaded with a fresh Feather blade, I had a most amazing 3-pass shave and probably set a new standard for smooth. Zero irritation; I could hardly even feel the alcohol in the aftershave.

Perhaps I’ll revive the Battle Royal; Tatara is itching for a rematch, but this time with the Masamune, not the Nodachi plate.

Last note, as pretty as she may be, I’m starting to dislike the Solar Flare. Too soft, no backbone, no ‘scrub’. Mr Rudy and Chiefbroom have really spoiled me.

722F6AE8-14AC-478D-B32E-35457E096777.jpeg

thombrogan

I’m not disliking my hella-soft Cashmere brush, but I like my G5A more and more with each use despite it having all the density and backbone the Cashmere doesn’t.

2 brushes incoming: a Zenith Chubby Manchurian (obtained in trade for my Henson) and a Rudy Vey in ivory with a badger knot, obtained for a bargain ‘den clearance’ price. Also, my son traded his (my old) Mühle Vivo brush for the Solar Flare. I think I got the better end of that trade!

Top Bottom