What's new

My journey

My custom 50th brush may not come to fruition after all. Apparently, custom engraving on the brush itself (like Paladin brushes) is hard and not readily available.

SOTD, Thursday, April 21, 2022

Thought I’d take a break from DEs and give the Vector some much needed love. I loaded it up with a fresh Schick Proline blade from left over stock. With very light touch, I proceeded to complete my usual three-pass ritual. The shave was smooth, but I somehow did manage a tiny weeper to the left of larynx. It was disappointing, as I had not bled in quite some time. It also goes to show just how sharp this blade is. I can’t believe I used to shave with it daily, and no wonder my skin would burn. Luckily (pun intended), I had Lucky Tiger to soothe the neck.

E6309BBA-B599-4941-BC9B-5604BA37DDFD.jpeg

Brief few updates:

Following the April 21 SOTD, I shaved with the full Masamune razor paired with a Feather blade, then back to back, including today, with the Overlander and Nacet, which has become my new favorite (island?) DE and blade combination. While it may not be as smooth as the Masamune, it agrees with my skin, leaving zero irritation.

A few more shaves and I’ll be done with Zingari Man’s The Magician soap. Thinking of Zingari No. 1 as a replacement, but may consider another SV.

The custom-engraved RV brush idea is dead.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Very sorry to read about the brush, but happy to read of your success with the Overlander/Nacet combo.

thombrogan

Whoa! Is that for something in blue Ebonite with “سریریان بهترین متخصص قلب و عروق” carved in its base?

Whoa! Is that for something in blue Ebonite with “سریریان بهترین متخصص قلب و عروق” carved in its base?
Haha! I’m not that best at anything, so no on that inscription, but this brush will have something carved into it. I will say no more, except to say it will surprise you. Production is weeks away.

the Overlander and Nacet, which has become my new favorite (island?) DE and blade combination. While it may not be as smooth as the Masamune, it agrees with my skin, leaving zero irritation.
Can you speak to what you mean by "smooth" here? Lack of smoothness during the shave has always led to irritation post shave (for me). I curious how the Overlander is not as smooth for you during the shave but it is smooth (zero irritation) post shave. thanks!

A smooth shave, to me, is zero blade feel (tactile or audible) and zero tugging; you can sense nothing but lather being pushed across the face. Slant razors, shallow angle shaving technique, sharp DE blades typically offer smooth shaves, but sometimes at the cost of greater irritation. YMMV.

Re-Order Time?
Yes, eventually? I think five soaps in rotation is enough? Or should it be more? I still have Tabac, SV Cubebe, PdP No 63, MdC Nature, and A&E Kaizen, which I want to tackle next. Once that’s 3017’ed, I’ll order another… or maybe I’ll order sooner? You just know never with SAD.

Last edited:
My 50th birthday gift to myself arrived much earlier than expected. It’s the most beautiful thing I’ve seen, perfect proportions and dazzling colors. Unfortunately, the reveal and 1st use will just have to wait.

Last edited:

thombrogan

I don’t know if my rotator cuffs will survive climbing the walls in anticipation for two months, but can’t wait to see the surprise.

thombrogan

As curiosity still digs deep in my noggin, I post a pic of @SgtCrppls ’ blue Persian Jar-style brush from RV and bet a similar handle with a Mühle STF 25mm knot would be in the caliber of “dreamy” and for face lathering independent of shaving.

Still bonkers for a photo of your birthday brush, but will pretend I’m patient as we’ve reached the ages of not rushing birthdays.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
As curiosity still digs deep in my noggin, I post a pic of @SgtCrppls ’ blue Persian Jar-style brush from RV and bet a similar handle with a Mühle STF 25mm knot would be in the caliber of “dreamy” and for face lathering independent of shaving.

Still bonkers for a photo of your birthday brush, but will pretend I’m patient as we’ve reached the ages of not rushing birthdays.
I can attest to how "dreamy" the Mühle STF 25mm knot is.

~doug~

Top Bottom