What's new

My journey

Was that @TinyT’s first experience with a synthetic brush?

For synthetics, I believe there’s not much of a quality difference between entry and mid level products, hence why I haven’t spent more than $40 on any brush (my $40 Zenith doesn’t perform any better than any of my $20 PAAs). For natural fibers (badger, boar, horse), the cost-quality curve is no doubt steeper. However, beyond a certain price point, one is paying for a luxury handle and not the fiber/knot (which is the only part that touches the face). That Paladin Honey Noire Beehive, with its now $500 bid, is definitely art and a worthy collector’s item. Unfortunately, having been outbid twice, it won’t be in my collection.

View attachment 1349260
Do you know the basic things you like in a brush? I like a boar stubby, medium firm back bone. The closest badger brush to that is a short lofted two band. Which I have. Any silvertip does not possess a med-firm back bone. Which is a good thing if that will fit into your shave. It is a luxurious soft. That does not fit into my shave now. Not the luxurious part, I’m still going for that but the soft doesn’t fit. My pre shave totally destroys the brushes attributes and action. Could I still use it? Yes but it wouldn’t be as efficient as the boar. Efficiency equals comfort. The higher the efficiency the higher the comfort. In all aspects of your shave. I forget why I was trying a Bic Chrome Platinum. Probably in the spirt of the October shaves. The blade was not sharp enough to keep up to the speed I like in my stroke. I immediately had to move to a DFS. It was a nice shave but not what I wanted to do. When I tried the Cosmo it was noticeable slower than the two other SV’s I tried. I got a decent shave but not even close to what I wanted. The point I’m making is you can fine product and equipment to your shave.

When you are not sure where you would like your shave to be. Than you want a middle of the line badger. As your shave morphs into what you like and what suits your style and techniques used in your shave. You than can go to a brush more suited to your shave and style. Dudes are always selling high end brushes on BST they are fabulous brushes, but they don’t fill their shave requirements.

Presently two of my brushes are 28mm, the rest are 26mm. And I’ve ordered a 31mm. I need a big brush Full face & Full head shave each shave.

You do not shave around any facial hair, small brushes would not suit you. Face shaving you should look at 24 - 26 mm brushes. The 26 could be on the large side, especially if it is a HD high density knot. Which means there would be 10% more hair than a standard density. I prefer HD. Every animal hair brush should be fully hydrated before use. Every brush of any kind should always be fully loaded before use. That way you have a base line to work from. The bigger the brush the more lather you will use. A 24mm would be more than adequate to do a three pass shave on a single load.

I would look at two bands. They will all have a firmer backbone than silver tips. They will be more affordable. I would want the loft to be no more than 48mm. More and it will be moving out of nice scrub range going shorter you move into the heartier scrubby zone.

If your looking at Zenith’s I’ve read glowing reviews on their Manchurian’s. Better brush better hair. Presses into the premium zone. It could be your huckleberry. You don’t know unless you live with one. A good thing about popular brushes like a Manchurian is if you do not like it they are easier to sell. I would stay away from gel tips you can not towel them. I prefer to lightly towel my brush after use. Sivertips do not require anything more that a few gentle flicks to begin drying. I would not purchase a silvertip as a first premium brush unless you are close to exclusive cream use. Nothing can beat a silvertip in cream.

There are many dudes here with a lot more brushes and experience than I have. There is also the brush section and wiki as other resources to check out. In the end there are no short cuts. A brush that I find fabulous might be a complete dog for you. You have to live with them and do many shaves to know.

Last edited:
Black Resin Manchurian Badger Shaving Brush 25x51mm by Zenith. M7 - https://www.thegentleshave.com/products/black-resin-manchurian-badger-shaving-brush-25x51mm-by-zenith-m7

Two Zenith’s that might be worth considering. The Manchurian may be twice the money but probably closer to three times the brush.

Thank you @JoWolf.

I like large 24-26 mm knots with soft, non-prickly fibers that splay easily when face lathering. I also like large handles; they keep lather away from my fingers.

My PAA synthetics fit these needs. They are odorless, easy to maintain, never shed, and whip up a nice lather, even when faced with hard triple-milled soap. They are colorful and playful, and at $20, they’re also a bargain.

I am content with my brush choices and really have no need to expand my collection, even though I was willing to make an exception for the Paladin HN Beehive. That would have been an impulse buy, purely based on its esthetics.

Thank you @JoWolf.

I like large 24-26 mm knots with soft, non-prickly fibers that splay easily when face lathering. I also like large handles; they keep lather away from my fingers.

My PAA synthetics fit these needs. They are odorless, easy to maintain, never shed, and whip up a nice lather, even when faced with hard triple-milled soap. They are colorful and playful, and at $20, they’re also a bargain.

I am content with my brush choices and really have no need to expand my collection, even though I was willing to make an exception for the Paladin HN Beehive. That would have been an impulse buy, purely based on its esthetics.
I have one syn. I don’t use them, and not much experience with them. There are many syn fans and brushes. If everything is working in your shave than you definitely shouldn’t change anything. Any changes in equipment or products I brought into my shave always had to improve on efficiency. Aesthetics never considered over efficiency but appreciated if thrown in.

Really great outing today with the Tatara Masamune and a new Feather blade. BBS in the neck with just 2 passes, using the same short/quick strokes as on the face. Practically no blade feel. Finished it off with Lucky Tiger tonic; feeling great!

I really like this combination of razor and blade; too bad the Feathers are so costly.

Really great outing today with the Tatara Masamune and a new Feather blade. BBS in the neck with just 2 passes, using the same short/quick strokes as on the face. Practically no blade feel. Finished it off with Lucky Tiger tonic; feeling great!

I really like this combination of razor and blade; too bad the Feathers are so costly.
The cost is better for me than you, my shaves are face & head. Two for the price of one. It was difficult for me to bin the blades just the same. I even went with third and fourth on Feathers. I could feel the blade breaking down that compromised comfort.

This week, I’ll be exploring the various SV scents through their aftershave products. This is the least expensive way of figuring out which of their soaps to purchase, but it also means suffering through alcohol sting. As such, no ATG passes during this period. I’ll also be limiting my soap choices to MdC Nature to avoid blending soap and aftershave aromas.

Today, I used the Tatara and a BIC CP blade (2) and completed a two-pass face, one-pass neck shave for a mostly CCS (but DFS in parts) result.

As with other alcohol-based aftershave products I’ve tested (Floid, Fine, Proraso), it is difficult to get an impression of the scent just by sniffing the sample. The alcohol overpowers all, leaving the fragrance to become noticeable only after the alcohol evaporates.

First up is the Dolomiti. After the initial shock of alcohol, what’s left is a woody, musky aroma. My wife called it masculine, but only gave it a 5/10. I tend to agree. For reference, I consider the the PdP 63 and TOBS St Jermyn as 10 and 9, respectively.

More stinging and olfactory stimulation on deck for tomorrow.

IMG_3437.jpg

Last edited:
Things I’ve learned this week:

1) Astra blades aren’t a good fit for the Tatara Masamune.

2) Of all the SV fragrances, I like Felce Aromatica, Cubebe, and 70th Anniversary the most, maybe in that order.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Thanks. The Stainless ones seem smoother and maybe sharper to me, but I’m ham-handed and don’t have a Masamune-class razor.

To reasonably justify the purchase of an SV and other soaps (eg Noble Otter’s The Two Kings), I must first 3017 La Toja, Zingari Man’s The Magician, and A&E’s Kaizen. The La Toja is approaching its end, so effectively I’ll be limiting myself to just 2 soaps for as long as they last.

I typically load heavy, for at least 30 seconds, regardless of a planned two or three-pass shave. My question is this: which brushes are known to be a soap killers, and does it include synthetics?

To reasonably justify the purchase of an SV and other soaps (eg Noble Otter’s The Two Kings), I must first 3017 La Toja, Zingari Man’s The Magician, and A&E’s Kaizen. The La Toja is approaching its end, so effectively I’ll be limiting myself to just 2 soaps for as long as they last. I

I typically load heavy, for at least 30 seconds, regardless of a planned two or three-pass shave. My question is this: which brushes are known to be a soap killers, and does it include synthetics?
IMHO it is far more important to have a brush that will function and delivery the best efficiency and comfort to your shave. If it is a lather hog or miser isn’t as important as function. If you like using a lot of lather and maybe even a little extra. Because that’s what you like. Use bigger brushes. Only if they can deliver efficiency and comfort to Your Shave. My knots. 4-26’s, 2-28’s, 1-31. I shave face and head a lot of skin. Big brushes are more effective and efficient in My Shave. If I shaved face only I would have a few 24’s. If I had facial hair to work around I would have a few 22’s.

Fragrances and soaps are very preferential and they should be. So is hair. Boar is my preference not because it is better than others. It works best for Me in My Shave. Size matters.

I have my technique with the Tatara down, mostly. I am now achieving similar quality shaves as with the Vector, with the exception of the upper lips/under the nose, where the Tatara remains less efficient. Some touchup always seems to be necessary.

How do you shave your upper lip? I do a WTG (up-down) and a XTG, going lateral to medial from each side. My closest strokes approaching ATG are diagonal up, ending at the nasal septum.

I have my technique with the Tatara down, mostly. I am now achieving similar quality shaves as with the Vector, with the exception of the upper lips/under the nose, where the Tatara remains less efficient. Some touchup always seems to be necessary.

How do you shave your upper lip? I do a WTG (up-down) and a XTG, going lateral to medial from each side. My closest strokes approaching ATG are diagonal up, ending at the nasal septum.
Moustache and goatee area can be most challenging because of size and angles needed. Skin folds and creases are more abundant in this area as well. I always shave this area last to ensure maximum whisker softening and hydration. First stroke on moustache is a hybrid stroke ATG/XTG, and then the ATG stroke follow up. The goatee area is the only area I will use j-hook strokes. Only if and where required.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
How do you shave your upper lip?

All 1-3 passes starting at corner of mouth and edging towards the center. At center, pulling upper lip down and expanding laterally (with muscles of face, not manual skin stretching) makes hair removal in the philtrum easier while protecting its columns from irritation and carnage. Doesn’t seem to matter on XTG, but it makes WTG more productive and its omission is begging for boo-boos ATG.

Top Bottom