What's new

My journey

Another nice outing with PdP 63. The lather quality and scent never ceases to impress. I followed that up with its accompanying balm… skipped the witch hazel all together. I don’t think I missed anything.

IMG_3095.jpg

October 1st brought an end to September GRUME. I Woke up early to complete several purchases: the Tatara Masamune, 1 tuck each of Nacet and Feather blades, 2 new synthetic brushes, and several alcohol-based aftershave samples. For someone averse to aftershave sting, I don’t know what’s possessed me to purchase alcohol-based products, but I do look forward to exploring some new scents. Exciting, and potentially very painful month ahead!

Which is your favorite?

Definitely the Peregrino — huge handle and a perfect 24 mm knot. It’s my workhorse.

Honorable mention to the Phantom. It’s best for face lathering. The amount of realestate it covers when splayed is ridiculous.

Another honorable mention to the Rocket. It’s a beast, easily tackles thirsty hard soaps.

The Solar Flare is the newest kid on the block. She’s well proportioned and most photogenic. She filled my desire for butterscotch.

The Tatara Masamune and aftershave samples have landed. 1st shave tomorrow with a fresh Feather blade. Not to change too many variables at once, I’ll stick with Tabac soap and my usual aftercare routine.

October 5th, 2021.

First outing with the Tatara Masamune and a fresh Feather blade.

I was disappointed to see exposed blade edges on the sides of the Tatara. I was under the impression that exposed tabs were remnants of vintage razors, not modern ones. Given its tight tolerances, there’s not ever going to be an issue with blade misalignment, so perhaps Tatara opted for a smaller head to make the razor more nimble? That may be a fine decision, so long as maneuverability doesn’t come at the cost of cuts. Time will tell. On this point, the Vector beats the Tatara for safety.

In terms of maneuverability, the Tatara suffers under the nose because of its exposed blade tab, making it difficult to cut XTG. Nothing beats the Vector in this regard.

The shave was the smoothest I’ve ever experienced, with practically zero blade feel. Just wow. Whether this smoothness was a function of the blade or the razor itself remains to be determined.

In terms if efficiency, the Tatara is less efficient than the Vector. A two-pass shave is usually enough to get BBS on my neck, but a third pass was necessary, increasing the risk of irritation and aftershave sting (even though none occurred today).

All in all, a very good first impression with the Tatara, smoother but less efficient (despite a Feather blade) than the Vector. That said, whenever there’s zero aftershave sting, there’s cause for celebration. That’s not something I ever experienced with the iKon.

I’ll try stretching the skin a little more in the neck area to see if I can manage a BBS with just two strokes. If so, then the Vector may have found a legitimate competitor.

IMG_3177.jpg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
What a sweet looking razor!

I understand the frustration with the exposed tabs. Have them on DEs from Blackland, Fatip, Gillette, Mühle, and Yaqi, so they exist in every era and sub-$250usd price point. For DE razors, only my Ikon X3 and RazoRock BBS escape them.

My understanding on their persistence is that some people enjoy inserting and removing blades with the least possible exposure to the cutting edges and there’s always going to be some blade just waiting to be mischievous.

That leaves us with $400-700usd homages to Gillette Tech razors and $30-80usd charming copies of the more expensive copies or eye candy like the Blackland Tradere or the Pils.

My hope; and it’s a highly selfish hope; is that the exposed tabs on your Tatara Masamune are only illusions of threats and that you’ll have three or four decades of comfortable shaves with it because it’s such a great looking machine.

I agree @thombrogan, it’s a wonderful looking razor and IMO really compliments the Vector, both oozing in tech. They feel like high performance sports cars.

Another member suggested the Nodachi baseplate to increase efficiency while maintaining smoothness, so that may be in the works.

I’m quite surprised by the razors you mentioned having exposed tabs, my experience with DEs being of course quite limited. I’ll just have to be cautious under the nose.

Tomorrow, I’m going to try an alcohol-based aftershave. Between Floid Amber or Vigoroso, Fine Platinum or American Blend, Clubman Pinaud Vanilla, Proraso Green, or B&M Reserve Classic, which do you recommend I try first?

thombrogan

The mixes and matches are certainly tempting. This obsidian kettle suggests waiting until you’ve got the Masamune sb plate dialed in (even though I’ve put the Nodachi OC with a Masamune handle in my cart several dozen times over many, many months).

There are better judges of scents for splashes than me. Mine’s grain alcohol with dissolved menthol crystals, so maybe not the Fine American that I would recommend (I don’t think it’s mentholated - it just smells pleasant to me in a masculine way).

Best of luck in your choice and I look forward to reading about it.

thombrogan

First volley of questions:

Which splash did use? Did you like it? More importantly, how were they received by your fondest people in AS range?

Volley deux:

Is the Tatara Masamune’s efficiency picking up? If it isn’t, is the consolation of no sting or visible irritation worth the fun of re-lathering? Are you finding the tabs to be problematic or are just visually unappealing? I have a puggish nose and stop my shave at my temples, so I wouldn’t know how the exposed tabs nab people XTG in places.

While incessantly searching for razors in the smooth and efficient genre, I saw @jefffeith has both the Tatara Masamune (both plates) as well as goodies from RazoRock and I mention this because he mentioned the Mamba 0.70mm being almost as smooth as the Masamune (my reading comprehension is bad, so please double check) and just a little less efficient on swirly spots. The Mamba has closed tabs.

Now that @JoWolf has talked me into shaving with short, quick linear strokes instead of all the weird things I used to do, mild DE razors are looking more appealing by the minute (hence my searches).

If pressed for time and can only answer one, which splash?

First volley of questions:

Which splash did use? Did you like it? More importantly, how were they received by your fondest people in AS range?

Volley deux:

Is the Tatara Masamune’s efficiency picking up? If it isn’t, is the consolation of no sting or visible irritation worth the fun of re-lathering? Are you finding the tabs to be problematic or are just visually unappealing? I have a puggish nose and stop my shave at my temples, so I wouldn’t know how the exposed tabs nab people XTG in places.

While incessantly searching for razors in the smooth and efficient genre, I saw @jefffeith has both the Tatara Masamune (both plates) as well as goodies from RazoRock and I mention this because he mentioned the Mamba 0.70mm being almost as smooth as the Masamune (my reading comprehension is bad, so please double check) and just a little less efficient on swirly spots. The Mamba has closed tabs.

Now that @JoWolf has talked me into shaving with short, quick linear strokes instead of all the weird things I used to do, mild DE razors are looking more appealing by the minute (hence my searches).

If pressed for time and can only answer one, which splash?
mild DE razors are looking more appealing by the minute
My favourite mild razor. Yaqi Chrome Mellon. A very underrated razor. Lather is protection. I have not used a razor with superior lather management than the Mellon. All mild razors are not designed or should they be used to shave beyond DFS.
Thom as a sensitive skin dude and a daily shaver. Mellon would be an excellent razor for you. Only as a DFS razor. Sensitive skin dudes who shave daily should never attempt or go beyond a DFS shave. IMHO

Sorry for not updating, Thom!

I’ve had two outings with the Tatara, both incredibly smooth! The efficiency in the neck region was improved by a good stretch of the skin, but at the cost of some mild razor burn. So while a two pass shave in the neck is possible, it seems to come at a cost? I’m sure I can fix this; I do love the lack of blade feel so this razor is a keeper.

The blade overhang doesn’t bother me enough to want to abandon the razor. It’s a minor quirk that I’ll get used to.

I’ve only sampled the Clubman Pinaud Vanilla. It was on the second Tatara shave, so I didn’t dare splash the neck right away. I applied balm to the face and neck first, then the splash. The sting was instantaneous but brief! The only thing lingering was the scent, strong, not dislikable, but not lovable either.

These last 2 days, I used Lucky Tiger. Non-alcoholic, I know, but this stuff is amazing!

I’ll be hiking Zion these next few days, so no experimenting. My next outing with the Tatara is going to be with the BIC CP, once I return.

thombrogan

Thank you for the update!

I’m very sorry to read about the razor burn and AS sting on your Masamune’s second sortie in the never-ending war waged on wanton whiskers. A third pass sounds better than razor burn.

If Lucky Tiger treats your skin better than alcohol splashes, stay with the Lucky Tiger.

If I had that stuff, I’d be reading the ingredients and start singing “E se Arlecchin t’invola calendula” in my asbestos Giuseppe Giacomini voice when I got to the marigold extract.

Is the Zion you mentioned the national park in Utah? Wherever you meant,I hope it’s equal measures relaxing and exhilarating.

Can’t wait to read about the trip or the Bic-equipped Masamune shave.

Thank you for the update!

I’m very sorry to read about the razor burn and AS sting on your Masamune’s second sortie in the never-ending war waged on wanton whiskers. A third pass sounds better than razor burn.

If Lucky Tiger treats your skin better than alcohol splashes, stay with the Lucky Tiger.

If I had that stuff, I’d be reading the ingredients and start singing “E se Arlecchin t’invola calendula” in my asbestos Giuseppe Giacomini voice when I got to the marigold extract.

Is the Zion you mentioned the national park in Utah? Wherever you meant,I hope it’s equal measures relaxing and exhilarating.

Can’t wait to read about the trip or the Bic-equipped Masamune shave.

Yes, you’re right. I’m doing a third pass anyway on the face and chin, so a third pass on the neck is worth not suffering razor burn. I just have to get out of the Vector mindset; every razor will have its own shave technique.

I had to go read the Lucky Tiger ingredients… Calendula Officinalis, Marigold! Thank you Thom, I learned something today.

Yes, Zion National Park! We’ll be “roughing” it at “Under Canvas”… look it up if you’ve never experienced glamping. It should be on everyone’s bucket list.

I’ll update with pictures!

thombrogan

Looked up the “Under Canvas” for Zion and, well, I was spoiled when I stayed at a KOA campground - a house and a nearby full service bathroom with showers - but a royally appointed yurt is amazing!

Did your family have to post a video displaying horseback archery skills to rent there? Holy smokes!

Your first Masamune shave was stingless. Are your SB plate Vector shaves also like that?

Have a great time

thombrogan

That’s awesome! It sounds like your setups provide smooth shaves in sophisticated style.

Don’t know what more could be done besides a custom brush handle knotted with something in the Mühle Synthetic Silvertip class.

Top Bottom