What's new

My journey

This is my 3rd and last night glamping near Zion National Park; we are driving home tomorrow. The last two nights have been frigid and the wood stove barely heats the tent. Luckily, the blankets are thick and cozy. It’s been nonetheless an amazing experience. Today, we hiked up to Scout Lookout. My little one complained the entire 2-hour hike up the steep switchbacks but the views from up top were worth the earful. Tomorrow, before our drive, we’ll gear up and trek up river to The Narrows.

Because of the cold temperature, I’ve let the beard grow; shaving while shivering in the morning is no fun. I’ll have something to look forward to when I get home.

IMG_3361.jpg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Awesome photo! Sorry to read even glamping had a slight element of “roughing it,“ but glad to read it was a chill and not having to be jumped into a multi-level marketing gang.

Wishing you a safe travel home to a heated bathroom and a Blackland Vector.

Yesterday’s post-vacation shave using the Vector and Tabac was most enjoyable, achieving BBS all around with 3 irritation-free passes. That experience didn’t leave much stubble for the Tatara this morning, so I tried my hand at a 2-pass (XTG/ATG) shave in the face and a 1-ATG-pass under the jaw and neck. The blade du jour was a BIC CP on its second outing. The shave was very smooth, almost equal to the experience with the Feather blade. However, there was residual stubble under the nose, jawline and neck, which I touched up with a Mach 3 cartridge. I finished up with Lucky Tiger lotion (no sting) and AoS Sandalwood balm for a CCS+/DFS- overall result.

A common theme with the 3 DEs that I’ve played with so far, the Tatara, Henson AL13, and the iKon X3, is my seeming inability to get good clearance under the nose. At the risk of cutting myself, I’ll try again tomorrow by stretching the skin as tight as I can.

On a non-shave related personal note, Zion National Park is an absolute treasure. The Narrows hike was breathtaking and should be on everyone’s bucket list.

80940A66-5A67-4E4F-A712-B2CA06DCC096.jpg

Yesterday’s post-vacation shave using the Vector and Tabac was most enjoyable, achieving BBS all around with 3 irritation-free passes. That experience didn’t leave much stubble for the Tatara this morning, so I tried my hand at a 2-pass (XTG/ATG) shave in the face and a 1-ATG-pass under the jaw and neck. The blade du jour was a BIC CP on its second outing. The shave was very smooth, almost equal to the experience with the Feather blade. However, there was residual stubble under the nose, jawline and neck, which I touched up with a Mach 3 cartridge. I finished up with Lucky Tiger lotion (no sting) and AoS Sandalwood balm for a CCS+/DFS- overall result.

A common theme with the 3 DEs that I’ve played with so far, the Tatara, Henson AL13, and the iKon X3, is my seeming inability to get good clearance under the nose. At the risk of cutting myself, I’ll try again tomorrow by stretching the skin as tight as I can.

On a non-shave related personal note, Zion National Park is an absolute treasure. The Narrows hike was breathtaking and should be on everyone’s bucket list.

View attachment 1346803
I’ll try again tomorrow by stretching the skin as tight as I can.
Please don’t do that. You should never shave stretched skin. Flattened Skin. Pull tight back off 1/3 now you have a nice flat surface to shave. No distortion to skin or whisker socket. Just flat.

Please don’t do that. You should never shave stretched skin. Flattened Skin. Pull tight back off 1/3 now you have a nice flat surface to shave. No distortion to skin or whisker socket. Just flat.

Thank you for the advise. You likely saved me some irritation.
How do you shave below the jaw?
Normally I only tilt the head up without additionally pulling down on the skin.

My rights side lower neck is my most sensitive shave area. Sensitive and difficult areas should never be shaved first. Mid or late in the shave. By this time. You know your stroke is excellent. You know your lather is excellent. You know the sensitive whisker area is fully hydrated and ready. I mostly shave with an eight inch wall attached gimballed mirror with the flip side being magnified. You need to be able to have a good look at problem areas.
I always tilt my head to expose the angle and view the area to be shaved. I use my first two fingers of the Flattening hand like opening scissors. They Gently flatten the skin area to be shaved. When needed finger and thumb. Key strategy. In this area everything is gentle with precision. All my shave strokes are short and very, very quick. This is the only area where I will lessen the speed to ensure accuracy in stroke MOST IMPORTANTLY this area is shaved with the least amount of Blade to Skin Pressure. Sounds easy and it is. Providing you don’t shave this area like the healthy skin areas. That’s the hard part. Practicing in the development of Your Shave will get you there.
You have medium good looking healthy skin. Mine used to be dry just short of flaky. Your neck skin may need some extra attention with skin products before, during and after your shave. Just like a chain. Your skin is as good as it’s weakest link. Repair and keep the weak link healthy and strong. It took me two and a half years of constant trials of products before I stumbled onto some stuff that works for me in my shave, on my skin. There are no short cuts try products on your skin for improvement. If no Improvement is appreciated or felt, get that product off your shelf and get something that you can see and feel skin improvement with. There are no short cuts. This issue is holding back you total shave enjoyment.
If I made one big mistake it was not taking skin issues Seriously enough. I was distracted with shaving.
You have a beautiful family.

Monday, October 18

Prep: Hot shower, Clean&Clear daily pore cleanser
Soap: MdC Nature
Brush: PAA Peregrino
Razor: Tatara Masamune
Blade: Nacet (1)

3-pass face with quick, short strokes, 2-pass neck + touchup with no extraneous stretching of the skin below jaw line or neck, using careful, deliberate light strokes. BBS result (including under the nose) with no razor burn.

In terms of the blade, I could feel the Nacet more than the Feather or BIC CP. It is my least favorite of the three. Given the cost difference between the Feather and the BIC, I think the choice going forward is obvious.

I don’t know what possessed me to try the Proraso Green (I’m not a fan of menthol). There was immediate sting, but mild and tolerable. That’s to be expected with alcohol splashes, yes? Then the menthol kicked in, very potent at first but mellowed out after a few minutes to leave a nice cooling effect. I didn’t apply a balm and the skin feels a bit dry at the moment; I guess that’s to be expected too?

Overall excellent outing with the Tatara. 9/10.

I should have just stuck with Lucky Tiger for the aftercare and the overall experience would have probably been a 10/10.

IMG_3407.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Monday, October 18

Prep: Hot shower, Clean&Clear daily pore cleanser
Soap: MdC Nature
Brush: PAA Peregrino
Razor: Tatara Masamune
Blade: Nacet (1)

3-pass face with quick, short strokes, 2-pass neck + touchup with no extraneous stretching of the skin below jaw line or neck, using careful, deliberate light strokes. BBS result (including under the nose) with no razor burn.

In terms of the blade, I could feel the Nacet more than the Feather or BIC CP. It is my least favorite of the three. Given the cost difference between the Feather and the BIC, I think the choice going forward is obvious.

I don’t know what possessed me to try the Proraso Green (I’m not a fan of menthol). There was immediate sting, but mild and tolerable. That’s to be expected with alcohol splashes, yes? Then the menthol kicked in, very potent at first but mellowed out after a few minutes to leave a nice cooling effect. I didn’t apply a balm and the skin feels a bit dry at the moment; I guess that’s to be expected too?

Overall excellent outing with the Tatara. 9/10.

I should have just stuck with Lucky Tiger for the aftercare and the overall experience would have probably been a 10/10.

View attachment 1347923
I don't know? I've found Proraso green non-drying. It does contain witch hazel, oils, and glycerin. I find it to be nice without being overly moisturizing. It's cousin Figaro Monsieur Ambra, on the other hand, I find to be quite drying. I like to alternate them. Sometimes I like the moisturizing effect at other times I like the drying effect. The drying effect feels as smooth as glass!

Raven Koenes

My precious!

View attachment 1346803
Beautiful family!

Another shave with the Tatara on 24-hour growth. This was Nacet’s second outing. I face lathered with Tabac soap, then replicated yesterday’s 3-pass face, 2-pass neck shave with quick short strokes on the face and gentle deliberate stroke below the jaw line and neck. Some touchup was needed to the left of the larynx to achieve BBS, which I did ever so gently but without the protection of soap. That was a mistake, as I sensed very slight razor irritation. However, all it took to relieve it was a cold water rinse and Lucky Tiger tonic. No sting, very soothing feel, fleeting scent, I swear, this stuff is magic. Lucky Tiger has the potential to transform any shave into a 10/10 experience. Consider me a fanboy.

CAE72197-9DBB-4AC8-ABA5-7C21C1983324.jpeg

That Paladin Honey Noire Beehive shave brush up for auction is just stunning. WOW!

All my brushes are synthetics based on principle; owning a badger would be breaking my own rule, but this one is for a good cause. I’ve already been outbid, and at > $300, my wife will absolutely kill me. Should I still go for it and beg for forgiveness, or stick to my rule?

thombrogan

It’s a very nice looking brush, but it’s at the empty-nester/retiree/master-of-annuities price level now. Vicarious enjoyment saves on space and money.

The Blue Beagle badger brush is hitting me the same way.

That Paladin Honey Noire Beehive shave brush up for auction is just stunning. WOW!

All my brushes are synthetics based on principle; owning a badger would be breaking my own rule, but this one is for a good cause. I’ve already been outbid, and at > $300, my wife will absolutely kill me. Should I still go for it and beg for forgiveness, or stick to my rule?
All my brushes are synthetics based on principle
IMHO. Synthetic’s are close if not all a collection of petro-chemicals. Dinosaur rot. Fossil fuel. Badgers are renewable. Hogs are even more renewable. Horse hair brushes are produced without animals being sacrificed for a product. Based on principle horse hair users would be the most non obtrusive to animal and environment. Unless of course you eat horse meat, many do.
I only have one synthetic, and six animal hair brushes.
owning a badger would be breaking my own rule
I used a badger Plisson Sivertip for well over thirty years, before retiring it. A keepsake, it was my father-in-law’s gifted from me. A very expensive brush. Purchased in 1985 it still functions excellently.
but this one is for a good cause.
More than enough reason to help yourself. Many of us will peel off a c-note for a cause and think nothing of it. Click your heels twice and buy the brush.

If your shave has a goal and a plan. Product and equipment should be well thought out. It took me twelve or so razors to get to one, fairly quickly. It has taken over two and half years of brush rotation to cull five of my seven brushes, all of which I love. Four others long gone given or sold off. They do not fit my evolved present shave. This Christmas three years into my DE experince I will end up with three brushes for my shave. Two boar, one badger. I am not a collector. Many dudes do not have a fixed kit. There is no right way. Regardless knowing what direction your perceived shave is and where it might be going could and might be a consideration for purchasing. If your not sure, you have to buy the brush.

The one thing I have learned with DE. There are no short cuts. What I think and use in my shave could be totally wrong for your shave. You have to try it for yourself. Yes that could be expensive. But you already figured that out fifteen minutes after you got here.

Do I sound like a BOSC enabler or a wanna-be minimalist? The forks you take on your path can be a lot of fun. No matter what I buy its always a thrill.

@JoWolf — you make thought provoking arguments re synthetics and renewables. I hadn’t thought of horse hair as the most unobtrusive to nature/animals and our environment.

Of all the necessities for a fine shave experience (razor, blade, soap, etc), I remember reading a thread where many suggested the quality of the brush was the least important. Do you agree?

I know nothing of premium brushes or badger grades, except a few names: M&F, Paladin, Simpson. If I were to purchase just ONE, should this be it? What do you think of the quality of the knot on this brush?

thombrogan

Of all the necessities for a fine shave experience (razor, blade, soap, etc), I remember reading a thread where many suggested the quality of the brush was the least important.

I don’t have John’s experience and skill at making practical, logical inferences and look forward to his reply.

In the meantime, please allow me to share this paradoxical summertime post from @TinyT

Merkur 34C
GSB (13)
Yaqi Moka 24mm
Palmolive Men cream

View attachment 1301533

And the winner is....

View attachment 1301534

Yes, it's a brush! The Yaqi Moka 24mm Synthetic.

Today I finished the second cycle through all my soaps without using Proraso Green preshave. There have been no issues whatsoever. That's the last piece of the jigsaw in getting my shaves to where I want them to be; pure enjoyment, zero frustration. If you'd have told me at the start of this journey that a brush would be the deciding factor in my search for smooth I wouldn't have believed you. But a brush it was.

The only thing lacking in my shaves now is true BBS. Well, that will happen when it happens, if it happens. That aside, I can truly say that I'm satisfied with the shaves I'm getting, so now seems like as good a time as any to put this journal to bed and move on to pastures new.

So, without further to do, this is your old pal, Bob Hope, signing off.

@JoWolf — you make thought provoking arguments re synthetics and renewables. I hadn’t thought of horse hair as the most unobtrusive to nature/animals and our environment.

Of all the necessities for a fine shave experience (razor, blade, soap, etc), I remember reading a thread where many suggested the quality of the brush was the least important. Do you agree?

I know nothing of premium brushes or badger grades, except a few names: M&F, Paladin, Simpson. If I were to purchase just ONE, should this be it? What do you think of the quality of the knot on this brush?
Totally disagree with extreme malice. Poppycock & horsefeathers. A shave is a result of three parts either used or not they must be considered. Pre-Shave-Post. Each component may contain many parts all of which are important. You are using them, right? If a brush isn’t important maybe the sharpness of the blade isn’t either. I’m not going to go on, you get it. If your shave was not comfortable yet your technique was perfect. What caused an unwanted result? Was it the brush? The Lather? Everything you use in your pre-shave-post is important and critical to good results. Everything. Do you need to use premium equipment and products. NO. A guy commuting to work in a Civic gets there just like the guy driving the Porsche. Shaving has these extremes as well. Entry product, mid range product, Luxury product. There are also differences in performance, that’s why we peel off the extra cash.

I only ever bought one expensive brush in 1985. Plisson Silvertip. Brushes can be considerably different now. The brushes I bought and kept recently are both Zeniths. A horse and a boar. I had bought six knots and handles and knotted those. Kept five of those in the pic.

3BA91326-2C00-4588-A263-B561B83F586F.jpeg

The stubby sivertip, stubby two band and long loft two band are considerable different in appearance and performance. They all act and have badger like tendencies in use. I will only be keeping the orange handled two band as a backup brush for the two boars I intend on using in my shaves. The chubby Zenith boar is my exclusive brush in use now. They are all beautiful totally good functioning brushes. Yet I only like the ONE after using and rotating them for over two years, and my shave has had some radical changes to it lately. Only the one brush can give me the performance I require. So you can understand I look at a premium brushes with delight but have absolutely no idea what they would be like in my shave. other than comparing their specifications to the ones I’ve used. When I got to B&B badger was my love and first choice, which I‘m very familiar with. In two in a half years things change. Boar is my first choice in a brush.
So to answer you on the auction brush. I have no idea. My advice would be what you have ascertained already, Manufacturer’s and price point. Having and selecting the ONE best suited for me has been different through the the shaves I’ve done. The brush I liked a year ago wouldn’t make it in today’s shave
Do I think the brush is as important as the sharpness of the blade, you betcha.

My opinion on brush purchase. I like Zeniths. I would not buy any of their entry level brushes. I would and have bought their mid range, and I think you’ve seen my last purchase. There has been high praise for their badgers and I think you could find a good performer great quality very competitive in price.

In the meantime, please allow me to share this paradoxical summertime post from @TinyT
Do you need to use premium equipment and products. NO. A guy commuting to work in a Civic gets there just like the guy driving the Porsche. Shaving has these extremes as well. Entry product, mid range product, Luxury product. There are also differences in performance, that’s why we peel off the extra cash.

Was that @TinyT’s first experience with a synthetic brush?

For synthetics, I believe there’s not much of a quality difference between entry and mid level products, hence why I haven’t spent more than $40 on any brush (my $40 Zenith doesn’t perform any better than any of my $20 PAAs). For natural fibers (badger, boar, horse), the cost-quality curve is no doubt steeper. However, beyond a certain price point, one is paying for a luxury handle and not the fiber/knot (which is the only part that touches the face). That Paladin Honey Noire Beehive, with its now $500 bid, is definitely art and a worthy collector’s item. Unfortunately, having been outbid twice, it won’t be in my collection.

59DE3E76-957C-43D3-A213-86EB2E9FC34D.jpeg

thombrogan

Was that @TinyT’s first experience with a synthetic brush?

I believe this past Summer was his first time not using a boar brush. His Yaqi Moka mew? — probably near to the quality of the PAA brushes you already have — elevated his shaving comfort to the next level and he was able to not regret skipping his Proraso green pre-shave.

Top Bottom