What's new

My Guess... 3017

Hi all.
This is my first post here on B&B.
Found this thread a few months back and been trying to catch up.
Currently I'm on page 500 (10000 posts), and have been inspired to start 3017ing my soaps and creams.
Started yesterday with a T&H creme sample

I have some work to do...:)

View attachment 1091361

View attachment 1091362View attachment 1091361View attachment 1091362

Welcome hopper,

Looks like pleasant work :)

What is in the beautiful top right container - the white and blue one?

The T&H samples are no more.
Tossed the Rose after 1 shave because I could not stand the scent.
Next victim will be a Sterling sample with a few shaves on it.
Starting may 1.

IMG-0960.JPG

Also Tabac is still going strong. It's stopped growing and attempting to escape it's container. I'd almost say I'm making good headway but I just can't tell with this soap. The shaves are great and that's all that really counts, right?

Proraso Blue is down to its last shave. It's a good cream but not great. Certainly not on the level of CF. If I only used DEs, I would say it's great. It lacks slickness which is important with a straight razor.

20200427_151953.jpg

20200427_152241.jpg

I've been working from home since early March and I have to say I think I'm getting a glimpse into the not-to-distant future when I retire. It seems I've fallen into the habit of shaving twice per week rather than every day. Suddenly my stash of high quality soaps as tripled in size. At this rate my current 3017 victim, a tube of Trumpers, well last until July. :eek2:

Correction, I’m starting to think Trumpers will last until September. Shaves shave been few and far between, but when I do shave they are glorious. 😁

Started on a Sterling sample today, (Mountain man)
And WOW what a difference,
Creamy, great cushion and very slick.
I think I've had 5 or 6 shaves with it before.

2020-04-23 – 2020-04-27 Truefitt & Hill samles (Almond, Rose and Trafalgar)
2020-05-01 – 2020-xx-xx Sterling Mountain Man sample

Wow! I last checked in on B&B in 2016 in this thread, and here it is, 300+ pages later, still going strong. You guys are still exactly as crazy as you were then! lol.

Received a new shaving bowl as a gift and thought I'd poke around for some SOTD pics for ideas how to send a good photo of the new bowl in action. Kicked it off with a new puck of Floris Elite! Happy shaving, fellows.

I finished Proraso Blue and started Wickhams 1912 Ninfeo di Egeria. I am horrible at describing scents. I get a light, fresh, green scent. Perfect for this time of year.

Here is their description of the scent.

Ninfeo di Egeria is a sprightly green fragrance, both charming and magically seductive. Opening with a short burst of citrus entwined with the creaminess of fig leaf. The intoxicating green and base notes patter through to reveal a warm feeling of sexiness. A magnetic fragrant, a lure of temptation cast by the nymphs, many mortal men, heroes and kings have been unable to resist this, the question is, can you?

Top notes: Amalfi Lemon, Galbanum, Petitgrain, Bitter Orange
Heart notes: Fig Leaf, Lentisque
Base notes: Wood and Amber

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Williams lasts just over a month for me. I put a layer of water on top while showering and load aggressively. Another option is using it like a stick. You can certainly make it last months, though. It’s slickness allows you to get a good shave with a thin coat of lather, but I like a bit more substantial lather from Williams. I say do the Williams!

So after finishing off a couple of Captain's Choice samples (Venture in cream, 45th Parallel in soap) I did indeed move on to the Williams. No shame in admitting it was a struggle at first. I could build a decent lather, but it would dissipate after about 60 seconds, one side would seem to just melt away before I finished the other side.

Well, I did some research on some good older threads about Williams, primarily these two

and finally seemed to get it after learning the key thing was how hydrophilic the stuff is. So I let my puck soak all last night, then kind of used it like a stick, and used the technique of hand lathering taught by @TheVez2 in his video and finally, finally was able to build a half way decent lather that lasted a while. I think @ackvil is the member who called it "The Mt. Everest" of soaps in his thread, and it does feel like an accomplishment to finally get it to work.

Top Bottom