What's new

My Guess... 3017

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
3017ing means different things to different people.

Originally, @johnniegold set out to use up every soap he had before buying more. It has morphed into the concept of using a single soap/cream from start to finish, whether you buy additional is irrelevant. Cheat days and taking a break is also an individual choice.

Many of us have found that the real benefit of 3017ing a soap is that by doing so, we learn how to get the most from it. As single shave or two might not be enough to unlock the true performance of a soap, but you bet your bottom dollar that if you run through a puck and still can't figure out how to get a great lather with it, that it's probably not for you. If could be the soap, it could be the water, it could simply be you. In the end, the WHY doesn't matter, only whether a soap works for YOU or not.

As for me, I buy more stuff when the itch needs scratching. I don't take cheat days and have been 3017ing soaps, creams and aftershaves for around 8 years. BTW modern Williams is one of the few soaps that simply don't work well for me, and I've tried a few pucks over the years. See, I learned somthing from all this 3017 silliness.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Not sure if posting stuff about AS in this thread is relevant or not, but I've got way too many of those as well and have decided to "3017" through what I've got so....

This morning I finished off a homemade concoction I've named "Brutjammer" which was 4 oz of a 50/50 mix of vintage Avon Windjammer and a generic dollar store Brut knockoff. It was a pretty decent blend....

1586873916435.png

@JWCowboy I don't really mind if you post about your 3017ing journey here but I am just a lowly peon around here so my opinions don't count for much. That said there is a thread 3017 Aftershave thread that folks are periodically posting aftershave related 3017 stuff. It doesn't have much traffic but for me it takes a very long time for me to 3017 a 400ml bottle of aftershave.

Good luck on your journey and welcome aboard.

I've been working from home since early March and I have to say I think I'm getting a glimpse into the not-to-distant future when I retire. It seems I've fallen into the habit of shaving twice per week rather than every day. Suddenly my stash of high quality soaps as tripled in size. At this rate my current 3017 victim, a tube of Trumpers, well last until July. :eek2:

@ruckin I honestly had no idea there was a 3017 aftershave thread! Thanks for the link :)

Those things take forever to kill so it’s a slow thread.

As for what qualifies as 3017, Sam hit it on the head. It’s different things to different people. I cheat occasionally, don’t buy new stuff and am really focused on emptying out the stockpile. Until a couple weeks ago, I hadn’t spent a dime on shave equipment since 2015, and that was only because I ran out of blades. I’m still loving the shaves, though.

My journey has also been focused on working down back stock. I did buy some AOS tallow pucks that were being liquidated over a couple of years and restock shaving cream for travel. Daily shaving with maybe 5 or 6 days in the past 9 years that have not been the current soap.

That being said if I decide to use another soap for a special occasion or just because, it would be fine. Same with buying or trading. The trend over time is to use it up.

For me having no hard and fast rules makes it easy to enjoy the ride and work through great shaving soap.

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I’m finishing up a T&H Luxury s/s that I started on 1/21. Admittedly, while sheltering in place, I’m not shaving everyday as I usually do, so this particular soap has seen an extended life.

Next up, a puck of Fine’s Aquamarine with a bottle of the aftershave to match. As for buying s/s, I only buy it when I need it.

But man, was it fun buying everything under the sun and figuring out what you liked and what you didn’t like. :yesnod:

But once the “collecting” side of things subsided (after many years) and I began to only use the things that I deemed to be my faves, then every shave became a great one. No surprises (good or bad) and no letdowns (for the most part).

The 3017’ing mindset, although unintentional at the outset, permeated into so many other facets in my life. Although, I still find myself occasionally glancing at brushes even though I still have a rotation of about 14. Haven't pulled the trigger though in years. :biggrin:

Last edited:
As I haven't been shaving daily for the past two years or so, but have been shaving on average about every 3 days it is taking me longer to work through my stash as well. I started a new puck of PdP No 63 last May 2nd - there is about a 1/4 left. Not sure how much longer it will take, but I have some time to plan for the next choice from the stash.

As I haven't been shaving daily for the past two years or so, but have been shaving on average about every 3 days it is taking me longer to work through my stash as well. I started a new puck of PdP No 63 last May 2nd - there is about a 1/4 left. Not sure how much longer it will take, but I have some time to plan for the next choice from the stash.

I’m 3 months in on my puck of 63 and there is a very long way to go.

BTW modern Williams is one of the few soaps that simply don't work well for me, and I've tried a few pucks over the years. See, I learned somthing from all this 3017 silliness.

It's interesting how some people never get the hang of Williams. I do have to admit even though I thought I was doing well with it for over 200 shaves, it wasn't until the second puck that I learned how to lather well.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I used a puck in JAN and have what I hope is my final (ever!) modern Williams ready to go when my current soap is done. Not much has changed in the past 10 years for me with it, except for a week in Mexico where it worked great, so I am thinking it has to be a water thing.

I figure a new puck of PdP should last for 250-300 shaves. This is based on reported experiences here as well as my own experience with it.

Each day I use the stick, La Toja solidifies it's top spot as the one lathering product I would use if I could only pick one. The €1.64 price tag still on the container is part of it, but performance and scent are the main reasons. If money were no object, I don't think I would change my mind.

It's a great choice. If I ever restock, La Toja will be on the shopping list (4 sticks left in back stock).

Last edited:
It's interesting how some people never get the hang of Williams. I do have to admit even though I thought I was doing well with it for over 200 shaves, it wasn't until the second puck that I learned how to lather well.
I used a puck in JAN and have what I hope is my final (ever!) modern Williams ready to go when my current soap is done. Not much has changed in the past 10 years for me with it, except for a week in Mexico where it worked great, so I am thinking it has to be a water thing.

I would have to agree about the water. At home (hard water) I've gone through a few modern pucks with horrible results. About a year ago I took it on vacation and it lathered beautifully. It was so easy to get awesome, thick lather. When I returned home, I tried again with the same brush and got the same horrible lather.

Well I’m claiming this scalp, though it’s not my kill.
6DA895AD-C110-4C1E-B496-B2AFD909FD39.jpeg

I’d given this to my father last September and he just finished it a couple of days ago. He shaves everyday and this lasted him 8 months! I used it for a week before passing it on and thought it was good but not great. He loved it. One more down plus I’ve given him 2 tubes of Gillette for the rest of the year.:)

Top Bottom