What's new

My Guess... 3017

I am taking a 2-day break from my homemade soap. I hope you guys can forgive me. I recently picked up a puck I've wanted to try for a while. Tomorrow I meet with my new boss at a job for which I was just hired, and so I decided to use a DE instead of the straight I'm relearning. While I was changing it up, I thought I'd give the soap a run without the variable of irritation from poor straight technique. Friday I'll be pack to the homemade stuff, which I miss when I don't use it. Familiarity means shaves I don't have to overthink, and things have been going well.

Hey guys, been away from the thread for a while, I was flirting with 3 soaps and didn't feel it was appropriate to be posting and reading while I was sowing my wild oats, lol.
I was bouncing between Mugso Real cream, Mike's Natural Barbershop and about 1/3 stick of Palmolive shave stick, leftover from almost two sticks grated into a shave stick container. There was one or two other flings as well, but these three mainly. I decided to get back to 3017ing, and I'll start with the quarter or so tube of Mugso, then the Mike's, then the leftover Palmolive.

2 Months in on the Cade. Looks like a 4 month soap for me maybe, but since I rinse it and just put the lid on after that it will of course drink some water and gain some volume from that. (compared to dry). Got a nice cavity in the middle which also are good sign of usage. Best brushes for me with this soap is a ebay badger and a body shop synthetic. Not getting the greatest lather with boar on this with my Semogue 610 that are my favourite brush for everything else.

850472CE-791C-4E70-B93D-5B21F57ADADC.jpeg

Right about 90 shaves or three months worth from this tube of Lavanda cream. I squeezed about 2 inches of cream from the top of the tube and used a bigger brush to get a great lather this morning. Honestly, I could’ve gotten two shaves from the amount left, but it was a nice way to send this metal tube to the bin! Lea up next.

I did a quick inventory and I found a cream that is starting to dry. It is starting to sink, no doubt from losing water. It just got bumped up to the on deck position.

For those that have creams, do you 3017 them more often to prevent them from going bad?

In my experience, creams that come in tubes tend to stay fresh longer than creams that come in tubs or jars.

B5484410-62B3-4141-9A54-22ED597FB5B8.jpeg

Tomorrow’s shave. This stick might be missing about 10 shaves. I have used it on a couple of trips. Looking forward to the bright, fresh scent, and the lanolin post shave feel.

The challenge with the Lea stick will be loading enough soap. When I travel with the stick I use a very small brush, and it is easy to fill it with lather, and I get enough for my standard two passes and touchups. Today, however, with the Semogue, I did not have enough lather even for a second pass.

Went better today. I soaked the end of the stick at the bottom of my scuttle in about half an inch of water as opposed to the quarter inch yesterday. Might need to load a little more, but close to good. I enjoy this modest stick! I'll check back in a month from now.

3 or 4 shaves left on the IV bottle of Proraso cream and I cant seem to decide what to 3017 next.

I have a heavy travel schedule this summer, and I'd like to use the same soap or cream for travel as I use at home. So I was thinking a cream in a tube or a shave stick might be a good option.

To complicate things SWMBO and I went to a nearby estate sale Saturday morning. Little did I know I would be leaving the sale with a couple heavily used Super Speeds, a NOS puck of Colgate soap and two NOS pucks of Williams. I wont say what the haul cost because I dont want to cause any tears. Lets just say some pocket chnage covered it all. I'm not sure about the Colgate, but the Williams I believe is circa early 1970's. None of the soaps have any scent remaining that I could detect, although that may change when I lather them, but I doubt it. I'd very much like to 3017 one of the Williams, but I know I wont get to spend much quality time with it the next few months.
OK, so I walked away from the screen for a few minutes, pulled my head out of you know where, realized I was struggling with a silly decision and how lucky I was to stumble into those soaps yesterday. So here's the plan...

Marlowe brushless cream next. This Fall I will 3017 a puck of Williams, and make a contest out of it. Whoever comes closest to guessing how long the 3017 takes will win the other puck of Williams and a Super Speed razor. That will give me time to clean up the razors and nickel plate them. I'll figure out some other pif for the other Super Speed. Not sure if I can part with the Colgate though. I've used Colgate a few times back in the day and it was an excellent soap.

I'll start a separate thread for the 3017 Williams contest in a few months, but I'll make sure to drop a post here when I do so any of you diehard 3017 brothers that want to participate can jump in.

This summer is off to a great start. Cheers Gents!

3 or 4 shaves left on the IV bottle of Proraso cream and I cant seem to decide what to 3017 next.

I have a heavy travel schedule this summer, and I'd like to use the same soap or cream for travel as I use at home. So I was thinking a cream in a tube or a shave stick might be a good option.

To complicate things SWMBO and I went to a nearby estate sale Saturday morning. Little did I know I would be leaving the sale with a couple heavily used Super Speeds, a NOS puck of Colgate soap and two NOS pucks of Williams. I wont say what the haul cost because I dont want to cause any tears. Lets just say some pocket chnage covered it all. I'm not sure about the Colgate, but the Williams I believe is circa early 1970's. None of the soaps have any scent remaining that I could detect, although that may change when I lather them, but I doubt it. I'd very much like to 3017 one of the Williams, but I know I wont get to spend much quality time with it the next few months.
OK, so I walked away from the screen for a few minutes, pulled my head out of you know where, realized I was struggling with a silly decision and how lucky I was to stumble into those soaps yesterday. So here's the plan...

Marlowe brushless cream next. This Fall I will 3017 a puck of Williams, and make a contest out of it. Whoever comes closest to guessing how long the 3017 takes will win the other puck of Williams and a Super Speed razor. That will give me time to clean up the razors and nickel plate them. I'll figure out some other pif for the other Super Speed. Not sure if I can part with the Colgate though. I've used Colgate a few times back in the day and it was an excellent soap.

I'll start a separate thread for the 3017 Williams contest in a few months, but I'll make sure to drop a post here when I do so any of you diehard 3017 brothers that want to participate can jump in.

This summer is off to a great start. Cheers Gents!

Great haul, I’m very jealous of the vintage soaps. I’ve had the urge to try them for some time, but I can’t bring myself to pay the premium price. Maybe I’ll get lucky like you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great haul, I’m very jealous of the vintage soaps. I’ve had the urge to try them for some time, but I can’t bring myself to pay the premium price. Maybe I’ll get lucky like you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Luck is right, I’ve been to a lot of estate sales over the years and rarely see unopened soap. I just mentioned vintage Williams in a post a few days ago and then stumble into some. A spooky coincidence. Yes, I picked up a lottery ticket today.

I got a closer look at the Super Speeds. One of them is damaged and not worth trying to save. The other is in pretty decent shape.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I'm still plugging away at my Shaving Yeti, Mamacita on the Rocks. This is one of the few times you will ever hear me say, "I hope this soap ends soon" ... but it will probably last at least another month or so.

Well, I've managed to wear down the PdP raised text on the puck of PdP No 63 that I started 13 shaves ago. So at least I can see some progress. Thankfully scent and performance of the soap is good, so even if this is a long haul it will be enjoyable. Putting some bloom water on the soap seems to have helped and it loads better - and it has taken on a bit of weight from the water.

I doubt at the frequency with which I've been shaving recently that I'll see the bottom of the container before year's end, but I'll keep trying :).

The temp hit 104 here today and I opted for a cheat day with CB glacé herbe. While not the closest shave ever it was one of the best, the menthol cooling was a perfect way to beat the heat, or at least make it more tolerable.

I'll get back on PS soon, I think... Menthol and hot weather are a nice match so I am not going to worry if I stray for a little longer :001_rolle

Finished up a container of soap from a local soapmaker yesterday. It lasted forever. I didn't log the shaves but I do remember when I broke through to the bottom since I was on a trip at the time. That was 6 weeks ago. It was very good but just barely doesn't make it into my top tier. I have a couple more containers of it but they'll wait a while.

Today was my first shave with a chunk of Cella pressed into a B&M container. I'm not planning to 3017 the whole kilo at once. But I'll try to do it in 4 to 6 oz bites.

Top Bottom