What's new

My Guess... 3017

Same here. If I want more than a thin, albeit very slick, film of lather, I need to soak the puck and load generously.
I'll load it like I hate it and then bowl lather it so that I can get the thick whip cream type lather I like. Definitely not my best soap but I will always have a puck of of it in my den.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Floris 89 did not make the cut after several test lathers and two shaves. The good: very nice scent. Not so good: difficult, unstable lather. Gritty. Minimal slickness. Dry post shave feel. It’s relegated to the shower.

On to Mystic Water Lavender and Lime.

Floris 89 did not make the cut after several test lathers and two shaves. The good: very nice scent. Not so good: difficult, unstable lather. Gritty. Minimal slickness. Dry post shave feel. It’s relegated to the shower.

Didn't they reformulate the Floris line a few years ago. It used to be a tallow soap and now it's a not so good lathering soap.

Clayton

my experience with Floris89 is closely modelled on yours. I would say it was the same. Well, I tried it for maybe five shaves. Still ended up as a shower soap.

89 was the first Floris soap to be veggie, and it was non-tallow from the very beginning. I remember posting about my challenges lathering it waaaaay back in 2010 or so, and one of the founding members of the forum, @guenron, said something to the effect of, "Dude, it stinks and always has."

The scent, however, is phenomenal. I will say that my experience using Floris JF in the last year or two was a slightly better than mediocre latherer (far superior to 89) that smelled fantastic.

I binned Mystic Water Lavender and Lime. It was making paste rather than lather, was burning my face, and had an odd sour lingering scent after the shave. I never react to soap ingredients and have enjoyed MW soaps in the past. I suspect it was not completely cured or had some other batch issue.

Next up is a Palmolive stick grated into a tub.

Last edited:
I binned Mystic Water Lavender and Lime. It was making paste rather than lather, was burning my face, and had an odd sour lingering scent after the shave. I never react to soap ingredients and have enjoyed MW soaps in the past. I suspect it was not completely cured or had some other batch issue.

Next up is a Palmolive stick grated into a tub.

Hopefully you have some better luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a quick inventory and I found a cream that is starting to dry. It is starting to sink, no doubt from losing water. It just got bumped up to the on deck position.

For those that have creams, do you 3017 them more often to prevent them from going bad?

I am by no means an expert but I have 58 unopened soaps left to 3017... So far I have managed to 3017 my way through 18 soaps/creams in the last 1821 days or so. I was concerned about the creams drying out so I put them early on in the list. I am currently working a brick of Vitos extra super coco but will be working my way through the softer soaps and then turn my attention toward the triple milled stuff. Based on the progress so far it looks like I have approximately 5236 more shaves to use up the approximately 15.1 lbs of unopened soaps. During that time I will adjust my approach here and there. For example, curiosity might get the better of me and I might pull out one of the pucks of Haslinger or C&S or PdP sooner than I would otherwise.

My hope is that by the time I work through all the soaps I have on hand I move to buying a new soap as I use the current one up.

I guess that is a long way of saying that I am concerned about creams and softer soaps drying out so I am generally using them before the harder (presumably more stable) soaps.

Ruckin.

For those that have creams, do you 3017 them more often to prevent them from going bad?

Yes, I 3017 all of my creams and soft soaps first. I only have hard soaps in the long term stash. I generally have a cream on hand for travels, but 3017 it when it’s more than a year old.

I did a quick inventory and I found a cream that is starting to dry. It is starting to sink, no doubt from losing water. It just got bumped up to the on deck position.

Add a little water to your dried up creams and stir em up real good. I had to do this with my TOBS Peppermint SC yesterday. It's 4 years old and it lathers like it did when new now. I'm going use it up this summer, and fall when we have our warmer weather.

Clayton

Still plugging away on my tub of J.M. Fraser's.

This stuff is highly underrated. It's an amazing cream and costs pennies compared to some hoity toity English creams.

Made in Canada too. :a14:

Fraser's is indeed wonderful cream. I haven't had any on hand in far too long. This thread is supposed to help me get rid of things, but I keep noting shave preps I'd love to have.

Add a little water to your dried up creams and stir em up real good. I had to do this with my TOBS Peppermint SC yesterday. It's 4 years old and it lathers like it did when new now. I'm going use it up this summer, and fall when we have our warmer weather.

Clayton

I've done this as well - sometimes hard to get the water ratio right, and you get something a little "Soupy". Then have to leave it out with the lid open for a day or so... and time that right so as not to dry it out too much again.

Maybe just place them higher on the 3017 list. :) But you can salvage a nice cream with a little water and a wooden stir stick.

Top Bottom