What's new

My Guess... 3017

Done with the Mugso Real cream. I won't buy it again, the scent is pleasing to me, but the performance to me is below Palmolive Lather and (still available) cream in a tube. The price point also makes it hard to want to purchase again.
Tomorrow I start with a partial Mike's Natural Barbershop.

Floris 89 did not make the cut after several test lathers and two shaves. The good: very nice scent. Not so good: difficult, unstable lather. Gritty. Minimal slickness. Dry post shave feel. It’s relegated to the shower.

Though a bit off topic, here's an update on the Floris 89. It's the hardest soap I have ever experienced. It lasted three weeks in the shower with more than daily use from me and also SWMBO who likes the scent. I didn't mention that it was a $30 puck. The final silver dollar sized disk of soap was pressed into a bar of bath soap last week. The bath soap has been melting away from the disk of Floris which is soldiering along. This is all with soft bay area water. Can't imagine trying to use this soap with harder water.

I am loading my Shaving Yeti, Mamacita on the Rocks until it is a thick paste on the brush and adding very little water afterwards. This seems to be the only way I can get a pass-2 worth of lather.
Are you relegating it to a bath soap?
Sounds like a disappointing product. I had one soap that shouldn't have been labeled as shaving soap. I'm using it as a facial soap now.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Are you relegating it to a bath soap?
Sounds like a disappointing product. I had one soap that shouldn't have been labeled as shaving soap. I'm using it as a facial soap now.
I have yet to find a shave soap so very bad that it could not be used for its intended purpose. Some are better than other (WAY better) and some worse. I will make my way through the last month (I hope!) with it.

Though a bit off topic, here's an update on the Floris 89. It's the hardest soap I have ever experienced. It lasted three weeks in the shower with more than daily use from me and also SWMBO who likes the scent. I didn't mention that it was a $30 puck. The final silver dollar sized disk of soap was pressed into a bar of bath soap last week. The bath soap has been melting away from the disk of Floris which is soldiering along. This is all with soft bay area water. Can't imagine trying to use this soap with harder water.

The Floris scents are fabulous though. I can’t say that you’re paying $30 for more than the scent and name alone.

So I'm already bored with Marlowe. Its a very good brushless cream, but I miss my brushes. I stuck Marlowe in the Dopp kit and will try it on some travels this Summer and see how it does in hard water. In my artificially softened water it is very good.

Up next.....I was eyeballing the vintage Colgate and Williams I recently acquired, but I'm heavily jonesing for a shave stick. I have it narrowed down three sticks, none of them have been touched yet. Sir Irisch Moos, Palmolive, or Mystic Water - Irish Traveler. Its been years since I used Palmolive or SIM. I've no experience with MW but hear good things.

I use MdC Agrumes as a break from 3017ing from time to time, so I'm going to use that for a couple days or couple weeks until one of those sticks jumps out of the drawer and onto the shelf. Cheers!

So I'm already bored with Marlowe. Its a very good brushless cream, but I miss my brushes. I stuck Marlowe in the Dopp kit and will try it on some travels this Summer and see how it does in hard water. In my artificially softened water it is very good.

Up next.....I was eyeballing the vintage Colgate and Williams I recently acquired, but I'm heavily jonesing for a shave stick. I have it narrowed down three sticks, none of them have been touched yet. Sir Irisch Moos, Palmolive, or Mystic Water - Irish Traveler. Its been years since I used Palmolive or SIM. I've no experience with MW but hear good things.

I use MdC Agrumes as a break from 3017ing from time to time, so I'm going to use that for a couple days or couple weeks until one of those sticks jumps out of the drawer and onto the shelf. Cheers!
Use the Palmolive first.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

So I told myself I'd hold off on commenting until I 3017 this thread (~3/4 through and learning sooo much... and turned my SAD to max setting) but I've had some note worthy happenings lately. Been knocking out a Stirling puck, island man. Good soap, great scent and excellent post shave. On the second reshape it got a bit messy so I gave it a break and decided to have a cheat day with Valobra cologne. Scent is meh but I've heard good things.

This was easily the best shave I can remember!

I promptly relocated the remainder of the Stirling out if it's container and into the Frankensoap jar and promptly packed my bags to go out of town the next day with La Toja stick in the bag.

Sitting idle in a hotel I found a great price on Haslinger, Valobra and a few other soaps that are now coming my way. Know that I'll 3017 that Valobra next. It'll probably become my benchmark quickly as no soap has made such an impression as of yet.

The La Toja is treating me well but not the biggest fan of sticks

So I told myself I'd hold off on commenting until I 3017 this thread (~3/4 through and learning sooo much... and turned my SAD to max setting) but I've had some note worthy happenings lately. Been knocking out a Stirling puck, island man. Good soap, great scent and excellent post shave. On the second reshape it got a bit messy so I gave it a break and decided to have a cheat day with Valobra cologne. Scent is meh but I've heard good things.

I promptly relocated the remainder of the Stirling out if it's container and into the Frankensoap jar and promptly packed my bags to go out of town the next day with La Toja stick in the bag.

Sitting idle in a hotel I found a great price on Haslinger, Valobra and a few other soaps that are now coming my way. Know that I'll 3017 that Valobra next. It'll probably become my benchmark quickly as no soap has made such an impression as of yet.

Welcome! Valobra is great and a worthy standard in all its forms (Valobra, vintage tallow Art of Shaving, Czech and Speake).

If you don't like sticks, slice it up, grate it, or mash the La Toja into a tub. I'm a day or two from finishing a mashed Palmolive stick.

F7560C3C-C8A1-47BB-9C3D-482DB885AC38.jpeg
This Wilki soap is resilient! Started month 4 with it as of yesterday. Still getting great lathers but a bit bored and want to move onto something else. Probably have enough for another month but I’m going to load heavily from here on.

Thanks for the welcome. I've been 3017 soaps on the sidelines for a while now (less than a year) but haven't been keeping tallies. I'm not worried so much about how many shaves I get since there are few soaps that will not be good values $$/shave. But I should probably start some system so I have notes on what I've gone through.

Good job on the Palmolive & Wilki sticks. Those are two soaps I have coming my way as we speak. I have yet to chop or grate anything but I think that'll change coming up.

Mystic Waters in stick form made the cut. I cant bring myself to 3017 the stick of SIM just yet.

This morning was my first shave with MW. It is in a 2 oz screw type container that works very well. A nice lather was achieved quite easily. This soap reminds me a lot of St Charles Shave soap, which I understand is now sadly discontinued. I will be using a 26mm synthetic with this stick and lather came on fast and easy. It was protective and slick with good post shave feel. Really everything you'd want in a good shave soap. One shave in so I'm not going to declare it better than my other favorites, but at first blush its certainly appears to be an excellent soap.

The scent is called Irish Traveler and I believe it is MW's take on Creed GIT. I use to wear GIT quite a lot several years ago. I'm not sure I would say MW's offering is all that similar to GIT, but I think I actually like Irish Traveler better. GIT had an underlying muskiness to it that I grew tired of. Irish Traveler is brighter...greener.....I quite like it. Its not terribly strong and it leaves after the shave....both good qualities in my book.

I think this is going to be a very good 3017. I'll post some pics when I get a chance. Cheers!

Finally finished RazoRock Santa Maria Del Fiore. I didn't keep tabs on the start date, but it seemed to last forever. It is a larger 200ml soap.

I am undecided on the next soap. It may even be a cream. Perhaps that DR Harris Twenty Nine that was starting to dry a bit. I added water and stirred it. That brought it back to life.

Welcome. Valobra is a awesome soap base.

Top Bottom