What's new

My First Gun

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
*Please let my wife know that I laughed at that*

Edit: "DON'T" please "don't let her know!"

Man, Otto Korreck is werkin' overtime today doggone!

Uh oh, too late. I already did the first thing you said and told her! Do you have a lock on the bedroom door?

Run Farmer Run!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Uh oh, too late. I already did the first thing you said and told her! Do you have a lock on the bedroom door?

Run Farmer Run!

You probably won't believe this here true story, but the Director hired me to train Tom Hanks for this scene!

My Mickey Mouse ways had finally caught up with me, and the Lovely War Department started chasing me. Having been caught once by her, my cat-like reflexes kicked in, just as the Director was driving by my house.

He of course immediately hired me, on the spot, without so much as a chat with Mr. Hanks. My wife of course got her normal 100% cut as my agent, and the rest is history.... I'm pretty sure I'm listed in the credits doggone!

OkieStubble

Congratulations on an excellent choice for a first gun.

I carried (on and off duty) a Glock 19 Gen 4 for quite awhile. We're both retired now but it makes a very good "house gun" with an O-Light Mini on the under rail. Very simple to maintain and most of the components that may wear out eventually (mine have not after 10's of thousands of rounds, are available for owners to replace themselves.
Thank you for your service! :)

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Ok, I can see the issue here, but from reading what you posted, it’s still due to operator error and not the Glock.

So from what I just read, you did pull the trigger before field stripping your Glock, but when you went to pull the slide back and simultaneously pull down the take down lever, you pulled the slide back further then the few millimeters it takes to disengage the slide and you accidentally re-cocked your pistol which would indeed still lock the safety plunger and Stryker, due to the fact the gun being cocked.

So to correct this from happening again, don’t pull the slide back 1/4 to a half inch when attempting to take it apart. 3mm is all that is necessary.

I knew it would work itself out eventually. :)
I couldn’t have said it better myself. Perfect explanation.

Thanks everyone for the comments. As I plan to go to the range for the first time, I have some questions. Forgive my ignorance here but I have never gone before to shoot and your input would be greatly appreciated. How many targets do I bring? How many rounds would be a good amount for the first time? I plan to stay for an hour. What distance should I focus on? It is an indoor range with 3 distances marked, with the first one being 7 yards. I don’t recall the distances of the further ones. Do I mark the targets in any way to track my progress? And finally, here is what I plan to bring in my range bag other than the Glock - let me know if I am missing something: eye and ear protection (both internal and external), range ammo, speed loader, extra magazines, targets, and CLP with some cleaning cloths. What am I missing that might be useful? Thanks as always for any input.

OkieStubble

The more you practice at home, pointing your empty pistol at something and dry firing your pistol, the more prepared you will be in not wasting expensive ammo at the range.

Getting in front of your bedroom mirror at home with a holster, two magazines, some snap caps (dummy rounds) and an empty pistol with no live ammo near you,

You can work and practice in these things without ever firing a shot.

1. Becoming extremely familiar with your pistols operation.

2. Becoming extremely comfortable when operating your pistol.

3. Becoming familiar with sight pointing.

4. Becoming familiar with smoothly squeezing the trigger to the rear instead of jerking the trigger which is called trigger control. Sounds easy? Wait until you have live ammo at the range and then see how easy it ain’t anymore.
Focusing on trigger control while gunshots are banging off and recoil is happening takes focus. The more practice you get learning how the trigger travels before hitting the wall, how it feels and sounds during reset, all while it’s empty will help you transition more easily when you do live fire at the range.

5. You can actually watch how much your sight picture and pistol moves while dry firing in a mirror.

6. Practice getting familiar with drawing from a holster.

7. Practice getting familiar with administrative reloads.

8. Practice getting familiar with tactical reloads.

9. Practice getting familiar with speed reloads.

10. A bit of time practicing at home dry firing, will help smooth out that brand new Glock trigger. The more that trigger is pulled the smoother it eventually will get.

And lastly number 11. If you do the top 10 before you go to the range? You won’t look like A total newbie when you get there. :)

Last edited:
Ok, I can see the issue here, but from reading what you posted, it’s still due to operator error and not the Glock.

So from what I just read, you did pull the trigger before field stripping your Glock, but when you went to pull the slide back and simultaneously pull down the take down lever, you pulled the slide back further then the few millimeters it takes to disengage the slide and you accidentally re-cocked your pistol which would indeed still lock the safety plunger and Stryker, due to the fact the gun being cocked.

So to correct this from happening again, don’t pull the slide back 1/4 to a half inch when attempting to take it apart. 3mm is all that is necessary.

I knew it would work itself out eventually. :)
probably late to the party, but I just ran my gen 5 about five times and this is the causal factor.

if the slide won't go back on, don't force it, slide it slightly forward, pull the trigger, slide and seat it.

you likely pushed the trigger bar forward, thus cocking it while cleaning/fiddling it. if I push forward on the bar where my thumb is resting, I'll **** (the act of cocking) it.

2834ADD3-9659-4FD8-BBD0-731F8209E1B3.jpeg

FD0576AF-528F-4D7E-B6E7-F1340BEB42FE.jpeg

and, if you pull the slide too far back while trying to remove it, you'll recock the trigger assembly and not be able to release the slide from the frame. don't force it, just start over.

disassemble (always, always verify magazine is removed, visually clear the chamber and magazine well, then proceed), clean/whatever, verify trigger is still pulled, mount slide to frame is a pretty unconscious procedure for me these days.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My wife listens to that kind of music all of the time. The Commodores are not bad, but they sure are not Judas Priest. :letterk1:
My musical tastes are all over the map. Check out the Hu- a Mongolian metal band that uses traditional instruments.

The more you practice at home, pointing your empty pistol at something and dry firing your pistol, the more prepared you will be in not wasting expensive ammo at the range.

Getting in front of your bedroom mirror at home with a holster, two magazines, some snap caps (dummy rounds) and an empty pistol with no live ammo near you,

You can work and practice in these things without ever firing a shot.

1. Becoming extremely familiar with your pistols operation.

2. Becoming extremely comfortable when operating your pistol.

3. Becoming familiar with sight pointing.

4. Becoming familiar with smoothly squeezing the trigger to the rear instead of jerking the trigger which is called trigger control. Sounds easy? Wait until you have live ammo at the range and then see how easy it ain’t anymore.
Focusing on trigger control while gunshots are banging off and recoil is happening takes focus. The more practice you get learning how the trigger travels before hitting the wall, how it feels and sounds during reset, all while it’s empty will help you transition more easily when you do live fire at the range.

5. You can actually watch how much your sight picture and pistol moves while dry firing in a mirror.

6. Practice getting familiar with drawing from a holster.

7. Practice getting familiar with administrative reloads.

8. Practice getting familiar with tactical reloads.

9. Practice getting familiar with speed reloads.

10. A bit of time practicing at home dry firing, will help smooth out that brand new Glock trigger. The more that trigger is pulled the smoother it eventually will get.

And lastly number 11. If you do the top 10 before you go to the range? You won’t look like A total newbie when you get there. :)
Great advice! I would just add to practice to get in the habit to keep your trigger finger outside of the trigger guard until and only when you engage a target. Something that is required for competition and critical when drawing and holstering. Congratulations and best of luck with your new firearm and hobby!

OkieStubble

Great advice! I would just add to practice to get in the habit to keep your trigger finger outside of the trigger guard until and only when you engage a target. Something that is required for competition and critical when drawing and holstering. Congratulations and best of luck with your new firearm and hobby!

Excellent advice! It probably says that in his manual, but he missed pulling back the slide only 3 mm in the manual, so…. ;)

Top Bottom