What's new

My Fatip, Joris, Schone, Collection and Journey 2018 and Beyond.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD :001_wub::
Razor: Fatip Nobile Horn Gentile
Blade: Gillette Yellow (4)
Brush: APShaveco uBrush Tuxedo
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina
Aftershave: Osage Rub
029_50.jpg

I had an absolute fun shave. It was fun switching up my APShaveco uBrush system handles for a different look. I usually have the black handle on the Tuxedo. Other than that the brush behaved just like my APShaveco uBrush Tuxedo. I couldn't tell a difference in performance in the least. I'm getting used to the smoothness but not quite as close shave I get with Gillette Yellows. I am a stickler for the bbs on my face that I'm used to, but I am getting used to it.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Gillette Yellow (5)
Brush: APShaveco uBrush Cashmere
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina
Aftershave: Osage Rub
026_50.jpg

What a sad way to end a great week of shaves. At least if this shave had sucked I could say, "Thank God this week is over". Alas, it most sorrowfully turned out to be my best shave of the week. Regrettably my Fatip Nobile Horn Gentile paired with a Gillette Yellow Sharp Edge may be the perfect combination. I was devastated that my APShaveco Cashmere uBrush has such excellent flow threw and softness that I desire most in a brush. It was horrible how the scent and the performance of SV soap added to the whole experience leaving me devastated about how well today's shave went.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
What a sad way to end a great week of shaves. At least if this shave had sucked I could say, "Thank God this week is over". Alas, it most sorrowfully turned out to be my best shave of the week. Regrettably my Fatip Nobile Horn Gentile paired with a Gillette Yellow Sharp Edge may be the perfect combination. I was devastated that my APShaveco Cashmere uBrush has such excellent flow threw and softness that I desire most in a brush. It was horrible how the scent and the performance of SV soap added to the whole experience leaving me devastated about how well today's shave went.

such-disappoint-much-sad.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Gillette Yellow (6)
Brush: EJ Medium Super
Cream: TOBS Cedarwood
Aftershave: Stirling Coniferous
025_50.jpg
Today, I switched things up a bit. I felt like I'm in a woodsy pine scent king of a mood this week. I went with TOBS Cedarwood and Stirling Coniferous for an aftershave splash. I'm loving life. I smell like a pine cone without all the pine sap stickiness. It doesn't get any better than that if your into that kind of thing. As for the performance of TOBS, I'm so sorry to have put you down. The performance of this cream in all departments is very good. The scents are still too perfumey for me, but I only reach for you on a blue moon when the spirit hits me.

Today and next week, I'm switching things up using animal hair brushes. This week is Badgers and next week is Boars. Then I will use my APSHaveco Silksmoke for a whole month for FFFMM. I always used to feel my Badger brushes and think how wonderfully soft they felt. Now the hair on them seems stiff and rough compared to my synthetic brushes. I used my EJ brush in super today. I'm usually blown away by its softness. I wasn't today. The first pass with it was okay the subsequent passes seemed a little rough. I think this is because the first pass had 72 hours of growth. Due to the hair feeling a bit stiffer than I remember, I decided to do the deep dish soap and white vinegar clean on all my badgers after I shaved with my EJ. It has been a over a year, I have hard water, so why not? My brushes are a bit softer but no where near synthetic soft. I do think Badgers feel a bit rougher on the face. I also feel that synthetics are softer with a slight occasional prickliness due to upside down synthetic hairs. My conclusion thus far in the week is, that despite the occasional slight prickliness sensation that synthetics are softer and that badgers are slightly rougher. More studies are indicated.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Gillette Yellow (7)
Brush: TGN High Mountain White
Cream: TOBS Cedarwood
Aftershave: Stirling Coniferous
021_50.jpg

Today I continued on using my Badger brushes. First let me say I love TOBS Cedarwood, the Gillette Yellows, Stirling Coniferous splash, and of course my beloved Fatip. Today I used what once was the flag ship of luxury and softness my TGN High Mountain White. Now all I'm left with:

You've lost that lovin' feeling
Whoa, that lovin' feeling
You've lost that lovin' feeling
Now it's gone...gone...gone...wooooooh

It's official there is not a Badger brush that can touch a synthetic, or come even close, in my book. RIP

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It's official there is not a Badger brush that can touch a synthetic, or come even close, in my book. RIP

I find the differences between badger and synthetic pretty big too. They're so far apart its not a fair comparison.

No tugging with that blade yet Rave?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I find the differences between badger and synthetic pretty big too. They're so far apart its not a fair comparison.

The difference in the brushes are night and day. I'm not really seeing any grey area. Modern Synthetic Shaving Brushes are a superior tool.

I'm having absolutely zero tugging with the Gillette Yellows. It seems to be improving with use lol!

I'm with you on the synth brushes Rave.
I have 3 Yaqi's and a RR Plissoft.
No need to buy any badgers or boars, I know they won't be close from experience. So, I'm just going to swerve past them and stick to synthetics.
brushes.JPG

Ok, the far left one is a boar - first brush I bought for my journey back into wet shaving.
I've tried breaking it in, but it still doesn't match the others for comfort and lathering power.

Whatever one I'm using is my favourite :1eye:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
No need to buy any badgers or boars, I know they won't be close from experience. So, I'm just going to swerve past them and stick to synthetics.View attachment 954468
Ok, the far left one is a boar - first brush I bought for my journey back into wet shaving.
I've tried breaking it in, but it still doesn't match the others for comfort and lathering power.

What brushes? I just see the vintage NAD. You need a different background lol.

What brushes? I just see the vintage NAD. You need a different background lol.

Heh.

I was lazy so used a stock photo.
Busted. :001_tongu

Anyway, that NAD is a thing of beauty, even if it should be in a museum.
They certainly don't make them like that anymore.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Heh.

I was lazy so used a stock photo.
Busted. :001_tongu

Anyway, that NAD is a thing of beauty, even if it should be in a museum.
They certainly don't make them like that anymore.

My B 'n K is getting long in the tooth too. I bought it new August 2000. I've upgraded the caps in it and the pre section is B 'n K Reference. Its a warm and very nice 105wx5 DTS but only gets used in 2 channel these days.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
No need to buy any badgers or boars, I know they won't be close from experience. So, I'm just going to swerve past them and stick to synthetics.View attachment 954468

I've come to realize, I've spent a lot of unnecessary money in this hobby over the years. If I only knew then what I know now...I would have spent my money unnecessarily in a different direction. :letterk1:

Raven Koenes

My precious!

Wouldn't it be funny, after all this time and energy spent, that we all came to the conclusion that carts and canned goo really are superior and the way to go?

My B 'n K is getting long in the tooth too. I bought it new August 2000. I've upgraded the caps in it and the pre section is B 'n K Reference. Its a warm and very nice 105wx5 DTS but only gets used in 2 channel these days.

My NAD has a few years on that.
It's from 1971, around the time manufacturers were transitioning from valves to solid state transistors.
This one is somewhere around 30-35w/p/c.
NAD were famous for there simple circuit design that sounded big and punchy without the big watts.

Top Bottom