What's new

My Fatip, Joris, Schone, Collection and Journey 2018 and Beyond.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Looks like an excellent movie, and it has great reviews and rating on rotten tomatoes. I wonder how I didn't notice it coming out.

Its better than the trailer suggests. Its very well made and a lot deeper than it appears from the trailer.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD :001_wub::
Razor: Fatip Nobile Black Tie
Blade: Timor (9)
Brush: Omega S11745
Soap: Proraso Red
Aftershave: Reuzel (Larpple Varken)
014_50.jpg

Down sick today, but here is today's selection. I'm just laying about sleeping, doing chess puzzles, and watching shows. Btw, Ex Machina is really good.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Razor: Fatip Nobile Black Tie
Blade: Timor (10)
Brush: Omega S10065
Soap: Proraso Red
Aftershave: Reuzel (Larpple Varken)
018_50.jpg

I finished off the week with this kit. Still sick with the cold fever thing but I'm back at work. My work needs me. Ah, the end of the shaving week is always sad. I wish I could have smelled the differing scents I was using. Next week will be my Fatip Nobile Gentile Horn with blade to be decided. I will use my APShaveco Bruches along with my RR Bruce. I also will pick a soap...or a cream to be determined, and Osage Rub for a splash. Basically, I sort of know what I'm doing.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Razor: Fatip Nobile Horn Gentile
Blade: Gillette Yellow (1)
Brush: Razorock Bruce
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina
Aftershave: Osage Rub
030_50.jpg

Today was the first shave of the week! I couldn't be happier. My Fatip Nobile Gentile has the weight and balance of my Nobile OC's with the Gentile Solid. It's a nice switch up. It is Gentler of course, but it never seems to take more effort for my bbs with dfs on my neck. The bbs may not last as long, but I always get a good shave out of a Gentile head.

I also couldn't be happier using SV soaps again. I really like the alpine fresh scent of Stella Alpina. At first I thought SV scents were more subdued. The more I use them the more present they seem. They really are not subdued. They are just very present without being overwhelming. I find it funny how that changed for me. Of course SV's performance is stellar.

Oh, a quick shout out to Gillette Yellow blades. They seem to pair quite nicely with the Gentile head. They just mowed through 72 hours of growth like it was nothing. It does seem smoother than any other blade right out of the box on that amount of growth other than a Feather. If I remember correctly it won't beat out my Timor blades as a day to day blade though.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Oh, a quick shout out to Gillette Yellow blades. They seem to pair quite nicely with the Gentile head. They just mowed through 72 hours of growth like it was nothing. It does seem smoother than any other blade right out of the box on that amount of growth other than a Feather. If I remember correctly it won't beat out my Timor blades as a day to day blade though.

I tried a fresh Yellow in my Grande not too long ago. I wasnt overly impressed with the closeness of shave, but they are smooth.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I tried a fresh Yellow in my Grande not too long ago. I wasnt overly impressed with the closeness of shave, but they are smooth.
I find that with most blades I feel a bit of a tug on the first 72 hours of growth with the first pass. After that first pass where I mow through 72 hours of growth, the first shave of each week, they seem to be as smooth and sharp as can be for the remainder of their use. That first pass with Gillette yellows was surprisingly smooth. I've always had mixed results with Gillette Yellows as far as skin sensitivity.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I find that with most blades I feel a bit of a tug on the first 72 hours of growth with the first pass. After that first pass where I mow through 72 hours of growth, the first shave of each week, they seem to be as smooth and sharp as can be for the remainder of their use. That first pass with Gillette yellows was surprisingly smooth. I've always had mixed results with Gillette Yellows as far as skin sensitivity.

I dont feel any tugging from them, but the BBS finish doesnt last as long as with Polsilver. I can use more pressure with Polsilver to get a deeper depth of cut for a longer lasting BBS. I dont really understand why that difference is there though.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Gillette Yellow (2)
Brush: APShaveco Silksmoke
034_50.jpg

Today's shave was very comfortable. I do find Gillette Yellows to be a very smooth shave. I'm beginning to think Mike is spot on about Gillette Yellows not delivering the closest shave. Right now I couldn't be more happier about the post shave feel. SV and Gillette Yellows seem to be a very nice combination with my Nobile Horn Gentile.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Blade: Gillette Yellow (2)
Brush: APShaveco Silksmoke
View attachment 952071
Today's shave was very comfortable. I do find Gillette Yellows to be a very smooth shave. I'm beginning to think Mike is spot on about Gillette Yellows not delivering the closest shave. Right now I couldn't be more happier about the post shave feel. SV and Gillette Yellows seem to be a very nice combination with my Nobile Horn Gentile.

Yep very smooth but not as close as I like these days. Gillette Black is virtually as smooth and arguably closer shaving. Perma-Sharp Super is better than both.

Yep very smooth but not as close as I like these days. Gillette Black is virtually as smooth and arguably closer shaving. Perma-Sharp Super is better than both.
:laugh: I love the way we keep changing our minds about things.

Remember it's not just YMMV, it's MMMV too. :letterk1:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm beginning to think Mike is spot on about Gillette Yellows not delivering the closest shave.

Yet the Sharpedge gives me a MUCH closer shave than the Perma-Sharp. In fact, I had to more the Perma-Sharp to a more aggressive razor to stop it tugging. However, the Perma-Sharp didn't seem to cut anywhere near as high off the face as the Polsilver did, which only ever reached skin level in the Grande that passed through here briefly.

Considering all that, and the fact that I use a milder razor than you chaps, I'm really surprised the SharpEdge doesn't shave closer for you, fellers.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Gillette Yellow (3)
Brush: APShaveco SynBad
035_50.jpg

I had a nice shave. My SynBad brush is really full and nice with great splay. I may change it for my FFFMM. SV Stella Alpina soap is fantastic. I just love the scent. @Esox you don't know what your missing. My shave was irritation free and for some reason not as close as with Timor blades. I don't know what to say about us guys finding the Sharp Edge not cutting as close in the razors we use? I'm at a loss?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Considering all that, and the fact that I use a milder razor than you chaps, I'm really surprised the SharpEdge doesn't shave closer for you, fellers.

The smoothness of Yellows is beguiling. I think thats why I liked them so much in the beginning. Now I'm more accustomed to a closer shave they arent up to the task as well.

I really liked Perma Sharps in my Regent, but not so much in my other razors. The Regent has a lot of blade exposure and maybe that helps them. I also found them very smooth. Its been a while since I've used one. I've forgotten to add a tuck or two to my last three orders from Connaught lol.

SV Stella Alpina soap is fantastic. I just love the scent. @Esox you don't know what your missing.

Funny you mention that Rave, I think I do. SV Stella Alpina was on my mind last night and I think its kicked CRS sandalwood down a notch on my to buy list. I have a CRS, I do not have an SV. Connaught doesnt carry SV and Maggard doesnt stock Stella Alpina. Hmmm.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The smoothness of Yellows is beguiling. I think thats why I liked them so much in the beginning. Now I'm more accustomed to a closer shave they arent up to the task as well.

I really liked Perma Sharps in my Regent, but not so much in my other razors. The Regent has a lot of blade exposure and maybe that helps them. I also found them very smooth. Its been a while since I've used one. I've forgotten to add a tuck or two to my last three orders from Connaught lol.

Funny you mention that Rave, I think I do. SV Stella Alpina was on my mind last night and I think its kicked CRS sandalwood down a notch on my to buy list. I have a CRS, I do not have an SV. Connaught doesnt carry SV and Maggard doesnt stock Stella Alpina. Hmmm.

Mike, PM sent...

Top Bottom