What's new

My dermatologist says to drop the DEs......

All ...

Check out this site:

http://www.dermatologycare.ca/shaving.php

On the page "The basics of shaving for men ..." (http://www.dermatologycare.ca/1/may-27.php) is the following statement:

"...Using a razor with multiple blades not only cuts down on the number of strokes needed, but it also reduces the potential for irritation to occur ..."
Please bear in mind that the site has advertising and is partly supported by *gasp* Gilliette. Specifically, the advertising promotes the Gillette Fusion. Something to consider.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Please bear in mind that the site has advertising and is partly supported by *gasp* Gilliette. Specifically, the advertising promotes the Gillette Fusion. Something to consider.

There is the occasional ad here as well for non-contributors I doubt if we voted for them that all would be supported.

I think that most professionals act professionally. A DE can scrape the heck out of your face if you do it right. On the other hand . . . do you think many dermatologists trained in the last 20 years have any idea about DE or Straight shaving? To some it must sound like scraping your face with a clam shell. For the record . . . maybe the clam shell works . . . I really don't know.

Drug companies spend tons of money on reps that go and visit Doctors in person. They take samples of their drugs to give to the Doctors. Doctors give these samples to their patients if they think this is potentially good for their patients.

So . . . is this a bad thing? I'll tell you a story . . . about 20 years ago I had a tremendous pain . . . I thought I had a ruptured appendix . . . I went to the Doc . . . he poked me and smacked me this way and that. . . proved my appendix was not the cause. a week later having developed further symptoms I went back . . . doc got it quick . . . showed me some photos from a text book . . . shingles. He prescribed a course of Zovirax . . . a month worth at $5 bucks a pill. The shingles hurt like a son of a gun for a bit but I got over it. At the same time my mother worked as a nurse for a doctor . . . maybe not influenced or "educated" by drug company reps . . . and with the more traditional meds . . . still had many patients with shingles that were over the year mark.

That being said . . . apparently the best med for high blood pressure is the good old water pill . . . very cheap . . . but there are a lot of other more expensive things prescribed.

I am going to miss my doc when he retires, he pulls no punches, and I guess when it comes right down to it . . . I trust him with my life.

I was with you right up to this point. What part of that bus do I or you have any control over? If it's the only bus in town, that's the bus I got to get on. Willing ain't in it.

-jim

If people weren't so lawsuit-happy, there might be fewer lawsuits. If there were fewer lawsuits, the insurance rates might go down.

"The Bus" is the cycle of lawsuit, doctor malpractice premium increase, client insurance premium increase.

If people weren't so lawsuit-happy, there might be fewer lawsuits. If there were fewer lawsuits, the insurance rates might go down.

"The Bus" is the cycle of lawsuit, doctor malpractice premium increase, client insurance premium increase.

I'm a firm believer in an injured party being able to seek redress through the courts for their injuries. But in any event, if some sort of draconian tort reform were enacted tomorrow throughout the entire US, I wonder whether insurance companies would really lower those malpractice premiums.

Come on now...we all know how influential the kickback/gift/wine&dine of pen, sticky note, mug, baseball cap, perhaps even the highly coveted mouse pad, and/or eye-glazing lecture can be in persuading you indebted physicians and pharmacists into tossing your years of training in evidence-based medicine and patient care out the window in the hopes of receiving even more of such bounty with which to pad your sad and empty pockets. Medical professionals are so easily bought and sold...but then again, who among us on these forums could resist such sweet, sweet temptation?

(Oooh, did I just have my first multiple sarcasm?)

Yes, doctors have a strange hypnotic attraction to stationery...

Seriously, all the drug companies did the promo giveaways, I was a give away-er. If everyone was doing it, how in hell is anyone being swayed by in any one direction. Certainly didn't make a single doctor do me any favours, nor did I expect it to.

And I never met one who took money for scripts, not that I'd know.

Paying rents to put pathology collection centres in practices at well above commercial rates is another matter, and happens in many markets. However, the space rented would provide far better practice return if used by a billing doctor. But they are in short supply, so practices look for all sorts of ways to defray costs, and add to on site services.

Oh boy...

I'm no expert (And I bet your doctor isn't either) but MY skin condition improved after I started DE shaving...

Well, the worse your shaves are, potentially the more you need to see a dermatologist because of ingrown hairs, razor burn, and the other assorted problems cartridges cause. I'd make the case that perhaps your dermatologist wants you to shave with those products to help keep him/her in business.

Just sayin..

+1

In-grown hairs mean job security for your dermatologist. I have only been wetshaving for 3 months and I don't think I'll ever want to go back to disposables and gel in a can.

There is the occasional ad here as well for non-contributors I doubt if we voted for them that all would be supported.
I think the point here is there is a conflict of interest in promoting multiple blade systems. When your ad revenue comes from the Gillette in promoting the Fusion razor, I cannot help but think bias will occur. It's the only ad that appears on the men's shaving tips and the site explicity highlights using a multiple blade razor.

Last edited:
For what its worth...my dad DE shaved for at least 3 decades and since the Mach/Fusion series came out, he trashed his DE in a heartbeat and claims that the Fusion is the best shave he's ever had.

I can see why people here think that their opinion about DE shaving is the best, but what's wrong with somebody liking a Fusion more? Let people spend what they want on cartridges if it makes them happy. It doesn't mean that they're dumb or never tried DE shaving. It's not for everybody...

Oh and another thing to all the doctor haters out there...everybody's big and tough until the proverbial **** hits the fan and then you go running to the doctor asking to be saved.

I'm curious as to why so many Americans visit a dermatologist.

It seems they're as common as having a GP.

I think that's part of the problem right there.

Im an American and I don't believe I have ever SEEN a dermatologist in person much less given money to one ....so it ain't all of us :lol:
Wp

+1. I know a little about skin and healing and dermatological problems and the care and cleaning of skin. I have observed myself and others who demonstrated that any DE or in my case a straight has more benefits to the skin because of the preparation and process of shaving. Most thing is dermatologists are saying is based on their observance of razor rash and razor burn. I do not think their is a scientific basis on justifying multiple blade razors where each blade can carry more bacteria. Although I do not share razors, I do clean mine with 70% alcohol at least 1-2 times/week just for caustion. My GF also thinks that my skin is better when I use a straight consistently and we have been together a few years so she would know.

I'm not a dermatologist, but I cry BS at this.

It was my doc who recommended I give DE shaving a go because my razor burn was so bad. That was five years or so ago and I've never looked back...

Keep shaving with your DE though tell him you switched to the Fusion. :tongue_sm

He should know better than to give such advice, it's his job. May have missed it, did he say why?

Aaron

Paying rents to put pathology collection centres in practices at well above commercial rates is another matter, and happens in many markets. However, the space rented would provide far better practice return if used by a billing doctor. But they are in short supply, so practices look for all sorts of ways to defray costs, and add to on site services.

I wonder how many physicians on this board have had their rents paid by pharmaceutical companies in such a manner?

You know that this site does too right?
Yes, I do but we are not strictly advocating multiple razors and are not only advertising the Gillette Fusion. I guess my point is lost on some people, which is in this case is that we have a conflict of interest between the shaving recommendation and the source of the advertising revenue. Remember those tobacco industry sponsored doctors that claimed that smoking wasn't bad for you?

Last edited:
I wonder how many physicians on this board have had their rents paid by pharmaceutical companies in such a manner?

None I would say, and I'm sure that suggestion is hugely offensive to any of the doctors who may post here.

Drug companies have no legitimate means to do this, as they have no direct patients services to offer, so all payments would be under the table, and simply bribes.

Renting space to provide on site services is one thing, wholesale bribery is another, and more in the realm of conspiracy theory than actuality.

Having worked in that industry for 10 years, they have little need to bribe anyone. Drug companies put most of their R&D billions into the main areas of healthcare demand - cardio, respiratory and cancers being the most prominent. A sick and ageing world takes care of the billions coming back in.

Last edited:
I don't care what anyone wants to shave with... purely a personal decision. No right or wrong answer!
What I do find amazing, is the number of people who accept a Doctors advice without question.. As if that MD were not made up of flesh and blood just like the rest of us!
When I go to a Dr's office, and I don't go all that often, I don't leave the exam room until all of my questions are answered. Then I do my own research to try to ascertain if said Doc is doing the right thing.

Doctors are mere mortals, subject to the same pitfalls and social forces that affect all of us..

Keep shaving with your DE though tell him you switched to the Fusion. :tongue_sm

He should know better than to give such advice, it's his job. May have missed it, did he say why?

Aaron

The dermatologist probably has a reason to tell him to switch. Most likely, the OP is chewing up his face with the DE, and either needs to drastically improve his technique, or switch to a cartridge.

Suggesting a cartridge is probably just shorthand for "Shaving is chewing up your face, you need to change something"

Top Bottom