What's new

My dermatologist says to drop the DEs......

He recommended a multiple blade (the more the better, they make them for a reason) with a canned gel. Try the Fusion and the Aveeno shave cream.

I think I need a new dermatologist.....

I will ask him for his reasoning.

I noticed he had a Gillette Fusion coffee mug, baseball cap and mouse pad......... Hmmmmmmm.

i call shenanigans

cartridges cause more ingrowns by cutting below the skin. single blade razors cut at the surface of the skin. i've heard docs tell people to drop the cartridge and use single blade disposables (.... DE is the same principle), but not the other way around.

wet shaving, in general, is so much more hygienic than crappy cartridge shaving. most of us are just short of religious on our prep and post shave care. i know for sure that I didn't pay any attention to my face before wet shaving... smear on some cream with dry hands, shave (can you even call it that??) rinse and plop on some greasy ASB. Now there is witch hazel, various alcohol astringents/after shaves involved, softening, conditioning, and so much more TLC.

after a good shave, my gf says "it's like hair doesn't even grow and never has grown on your face" and the smoothness and healthiness is just unmatched.

Last edited:
Two guys who have shaved for 40 years with nothing but an electric razor will be given one week to shave wet. They are completely identical. Their beard though fully developed has no pathological abnormalities.
One will do this with a DE the other one with a multi blade razor.
Both will be given every needed accessory but no advice, not even the instructions on the back of the boxing.

Who do you think wants the dermatologist to change their shaving style?

If you care to think about it this is not anti DE at all. It's just showing how impatience and lack of knowledge and experience gives the multi billion dollar companies their money.

Well, the worse your shaves are, potentially the more you need to see a dermatologist because of ingrown hairs, razor burn, and the other assorted problems cartridges cause. I'd make the case that perhaps your dermatologist wants you to shave with those products to help keep him/her in business.

Just sayin..

Well, the worse your shaves are, potentially the more you need to see a dermatologist because of ingrown hairs, razor burn, and the other assorted problems cartridges cause. I'd make the case that perhaps your dermatologist wants you to shave with those products to help keep him/her in business.

Just sayin..

Bingo.

Dermatologists always send you away with prescriptions for chemical goop.

Ferdinand here would like to voice his opinion of your dermatologist. :smile:

proxy.php

Well I say ditch him. As for the red flags of owning a Fusion coffee mug and other items Fusion related, it sounds like he has stocks in P&G (Gillette). Perhaps there is no money in DE's for him and his fat cats.:lol:

I will ask him for his reasoning.

I noticed he had a Gillette Fusion coffee mug, baseball cap and mouse pad......... Hmmmmmmm.

I've suffered from psoriasis for years. once it started appearing on my face my dermatologist recommended I start applying a cream to it every time it flared up. Since I started DE shaving in March it has gone completely.

Why didn't my dermatologist tell me to DE shave?

Personally, I think switching to the P&G stuff will make your shaves worse but it could also be the case that you haven't found the right razor and blade combination for your skin type?

My own case in point: A lot of folks here will say Feathers and Kais are the sharpest DE blades around, which they are - but they simply don't work for me. Using one of those I have to go over an area several times before anything gets cut, and as a result I get a lot of ingrown hairs and general irritation.

On the other hand, if I use a blade like an Asco or a Gillette 7'O Clock Yellow my whiskers literally fly off my face and my skin is intact.

- ice

Hmmmm....while recently talking with my dermatologist my shaving habits came up. He was impressed with my choice of DE, brush and soap. Perhaps your man is on the take.

Top Bottom