What's new

My dermatologist says to drop the DEs......

G

GLteam

M3's in theory shave better than Fusions. WHAT you say? The more blades there are in a single cartidge, the more surface area there is for the blades touching against skin. There must be space between the blades... more blades equals 'sanding' the stubble from your face. I've even seen 6 blade cartridge razors @ K-Mart. Come On Now!

When will 'The More The Better' thing subside? No one knows at this point. Many dermatologists advise against multiple blades, and many agree with multiple blades. There seems to be dermatologists at both ends of the advice. Gradually reducing your whisker stubble with multiple passes is the better way to shave. Shaving your whisker stubble off with one quick swoop, has a tendency to pull the whisker out of the skin... results are irritation, and burn.

Shaving correctly (DE), and with great technique will always produce a better result. It's like driving a Ferrari before you're ready... there are bound to be accidents. You must have the technique down before shifting the gears and such.

Has this dermatologist had a bad experience with DE shaving? Good Q to ask him maybe.

Ferdinand here would like to voice his opinion of your dermatologist. :smile:

I chuckled long and heartily at this.

But yeah, your dermatologist clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. Either he's got a vested interest in the Cartridge Shaving world or he's hawking them to keep himself in business via ruining your mug.

He recommended a multiple blade (the more the better, they make them for a reason) with a canned gel. Try the Fusion and the Aveeno shave cream.

I think I need a new dermatologist.....

Drop him/her like a hot sac of potatoes and run. While you do it, perhaps you should gift wrap your gillette multiblade and the Aveeno shave gel and give it as a going away present. Inside will be a note reading:

"Dear Dr. ABC
Thanks you for your recommendation, but after having given it more thought, I have decided to keep my DE shaving routine and drop you instead. It was nice knowing you and good luck in your practice

Best,
Your signature

PS: please find enclosed a gift as a thank you for opening my eyes to what I could have missed had I decided to seriously heed your advice

Why exactly did he/she make this recommendation? I was using Gillette Fusion with Aveeno shave gel for awhile and I can tell you, there's NO comparison. Yes, your skin will have to " get used" to the conditions for the first couple of weeks or so, but the experience that follows is all the more worthwhile...nothing beats a good shave creme, brush or DE/str8

having shaving buddy,
-Robert

I've had dermatologists tell me to use electric razors and that electric razors are terrible for the skin. I've had them tell me to grow a beard. You know what made me stop asking? A DE, a badger brush, and some nice shaving soap.

Dermatologists are trained to treat skin diseases. Crappy shaving equipment and technique are not skin diseases. (They just feel like they are.)

I'm curious as to why so many Americans visit a dermatologist.

It seems they're as common as having a GP.

I think that's part of the problem right there.

Ask if you can see some pie charts or graphs on the study. Maybe even some non-biased verifiable statistics. Imho Dermatologists are all hacks! "Oh you have a skin problem called zits. Let me write you a prescription for pro-active so i can get a $$$ kickback." It's a part of your growth cycle/genetics get over it!

S

siouxsie

I will ask him for his reasoning.

I noticed he had a Gillette Fusion coffee mug, baseball cap and mouse pad......... Hmmmmmmm.

Seriously? How do these "doctors" sleep at night?

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 Sometimes doctors get payed to endorse a product on the down low, sounds like he might be getting a nice pay check (or just free cartridges) from Gillette.

I have been a practicing physician for over 20 years and have never been approached with any offer remotely resembling this. I don't know of anyone who has either. I think this is an urban legend as no industry is more tightly regulated than the pharmaceutical industry. If you know of any companies willing to supplement my income this way, please let me know about them.

The one thing I've noticed about doctors is that their in business to make money. The more times they can get you into their office the more money they make. They also get paid by the drug companies just for writing a prescription. So of course their going to do anything to keep that money rolling in. Even if they don't know what the hell their talking about. Remember that a doctor doesn't make money when you're well, healthy, and don't have any questions to ask him.

What you've described here is a perfect example of a doctor who doesn't know what he's talking about. Most of them just push pills, and keep you coming back for more follow up visits.

Its kind of funny, but many doctors will give you a prescription and say "here, try this for a week or so, and let me know how its working". If its not working so well, and after another office visit, he'll say "O.K. stop that one, and try this one, let me know if its any better".

All this at a cost of very big money, either by insurance, or out of pocket. That's why they call it a "practice".

I think that's probably partly the reason why so many aussies are diagnosed with skin cancer because they rarely visit a dermatologist until it's too late.... I don't even think I have one in my local area!!!!

Having said that, I am too curious about the answer to your question

wet shaving, in general, is so much more hygienic than crappy cartridge shaving. most of us are just short of religious on our prep and post shave care. i know for sure that I didn't pay any attention to my face before wet shaving... smear on some cream with dry hands, shave (can you even call it that??) rinse and plop on some greasy ASB. Now there is witch hazel, various alcohol astringents/after shaves involved, softening, conditioning, and so much more TLC.

When I used cartridges I rarely even bothered with the cream. In undergrad I would even use the same cartridge for a good month. That could not have been good for anything other than strengthening my immune system.

Back on topic, I wouldn't go so far as to say the doctor is on the take. At most he's getting free samples. From his perspective though, he may have no exposure to DE shaving or may only know it from doing it poorly. Cartridges are also not problematic for everyone. I never had ingrown hairs or regular irritation with them; I just cannot get a close shave with one even with good prep and multiple passes.

My thoughts exactly. I have never seen one and most likely will never see one. I dont even know if there is any of these quacks in this city

I have been a practicing physician for over 20 years and have never been approached with any offer remotely resembling this. I don't know of anyone who has either. I think this is an urban legend as no industry is more tightly regulated than the pharmaceutical industry. If you know of any companies willing to supplement my income this way, please let me know about them.

I used to buy 'drug rep pens' from Dr's and throw 'em on the 'bay. $1-2k a year for a young teenager :thumbup1:

The one thing I've noticed about doctors is that their in business to make money. The more times they can get you into their office the more money they make. They also get paid by the drug companies just for writing a prescription. So of course their going to do anything to keep that money rolling in. Even if they don't know what the hell their talking about. Remember that a doctor doesn't make money when you're well, healthy, and don't have any questions to ask him.

What you've described here is a perfect example of a doctor who doesn't know what he's talking about. Most of them just push pills, and keep you coming back for more follow up visits.

Its kind of funny, but many doctors will give you a prescription and say "here, try this for a week or so, and let me know how its working". If its not working so well, and after another office visit, he'll say "O.K. stop that one, and try this one, let me know if its any better".

All this at a cost of very big money, either by insurance, or out of pocket. That's why they call it a "practice".

With all due respect (and even though I'm quoting your post, I am addressing anyone who shares your beliefs), while I admit that there is no shortage of business oriented doctors who might take it to an unnecessary extreme, I have bolded a statement that is false. Doctors do not make any money for prescribing one drug over another. Even most of the "perks" beyond free pens and post it note pads are no longer offered or accepted because of fear of repercussions.

You mention numerous times how doctors don't know "what the hell they are talking about." I would be glad to post up pictures of my notes over the past 2 years of medical school and I have just started my ~10 year (but really lifelong) educational process. A medicine "challenge" is actually a legitimate way to practice medicine in some situations. Doctors usually have a good idea of what the diagnosis is and begin treatment based on that diagnosis and wait for confirmation. That would be your strep throat or your pneumonia or your gonorrhea... giving a patient a pill that treats the diagnosis you suspect, waiting for the report back (if symptoms improve - you have just confirmed your diagnosis) is not quackery. How long should we wait to treat your pneumonia? Should we wait for the exact bug culture to come back from the lab in a few days just so we don't give you the wrong pill? I don't think anyone would like that.

Doctors do not induce sickness in patients in order to pad their pockets. We do not need to. It is, unfortunately, inevitable in all people. Such is the nature of the profession.

And finally, regarding money: what is so wrong about making it? Does anyone care that the cost of tuition at many medical schools approaches 70 thousand dollars a year with living costs? Does it not matter that I am spending the best years of my life (20s) studying every day, being in a huge debt that I will not be able to pay off for many many years. I would like to get married. I cannot afford a ring for my gf or even to move in with her until I make my whopping salary of 50 thousand a year as a resident for about 4 years. Am I not entitled to a property to call my own? Perhaps a vacation here and there? With over 250 thousand dollars of debt, are doctors not entitled to make enough money to cover the cost of their education + enough to actually live a comfortable lifestyle (in exchange for the sacrifices we make on a daily basis - not seeing loved ones, emotional rollercoasters, etc).

I know this went on for too long and I'm sorry. I am also not trying to be rude at all. Perhaps I am just venting and I apologize for the off topic-ness of it. I am just a lowly 2nd year medical student, in debt, very very lonely studying for my boards day and night right now. I encounter these kind of remarks on a daily basis and it just always makes me sad.

I'm curious to know why OP went to see a dermatologist. It's not the sort of thing most people do unless they are experiencing skin problems.

I'm withholding judgement on the medico till I hear some more background on this.

Cheers,
Ian

If this was a troll, it worked pretty well.

Last edited:
With all due respect (and even though I'm quoting your post, I am addressing anyone who shares your beliefs), while I admit that there is no shortage of business oriented doctors who might take it to an unnecessary extreme, I have bolded a statement that is false. Doctors do not make any money for prescribing one drug over another. Even most of the "perks" beyond free pens and post it note pads are no longer offered or accepted because of fear of repercussions.

You mention numerous times how doctors don't know "what the hell they are talking about." I would be glad to post up pictures of my notes over the past 2 years of medical school and I have just started my ~10 year (but really lifelong) educational process. A medicine "challenge" is actually a legitimate way to practice medicine in some situations. Doctors usually have a good idea of what the diagnosis is and begin treatment based on that diagnosis and wait for confirmation. That would be your strep throat or your pneumonia or your gonorrhea... giving a patient a pill that treats the diagnosis you suspect, waiting for the report back (if symptoms improve - you have just confirmed your diagnosis) is not quackery. How long should we wait to treat your pneumonia? Should we wait for the exact bug culture to come back from the lab in a few days just so we don't give you the wrong pill? I don't think anyone would like that.

Doctors do not induce sickness in patients in order to pad their pockets. We do not need to. It is, unfortunately, inevitable in all people. Such is the nature of the profession.

And finally, regarding money: what is so wrong about making it? Does anyone care that the cost of tuition at many medical schools approaches 70 thousand dollars a year with living costs? Does it not matter that I am spending the best years of my life (20s) studying every day, being in a huge debt that I will not be able to pay off for many many years. I would like to get married. I cannot afford a ring for my gf or even to move in with her until I make my whopping salary of 50 thousand a year as a resident for about 4 years. Am I not entitled to a property to call my own? Perhaps a vacation here and there? With over 250 thousand dollars of debt, are doctors not entitled to make enough money to cover the cost of their education + enough to actually live a comfortable lifestyle (in exchange for the sacrifices we make on a daily basis - not seeing loved ones, emotional rollercoasters, etc).

I know this went on for too long and I'm sorry. I am also not trying to be rude at all. Perhaps I am just venting and I apologize for the off topic-ness of it. I am just a lowly 2nd year medical student, in debt, very very lonely studying for my boards day and night right now. I encounter these kind of remarks on a daily basis and it just always makes me sad.

So what you're saying is... you are not a doctor. :blink:

Doctors usually have a good idea of what the diagnosis is and begin treatment based on that diagnosis and wait for confirmation. That would be your strep throat or your pneumonia or your gonorrhea... giving a patient a pill that treats the diagnosis you suspect, waiting for the report back (if symptoms improve - you have just confirmed your diagnosis)

You are saying by this is that everything doctors do is a guess at best and that is why I say away. I have to be damn near dying to go to one. Way to many stories around of wrong diagnosis for me to put my trust in them.

I think that's probably partly the reason why so many aussies are diagnosed with skin cancer because they rarely visit a dermatologist until it's too late.... I don't even think I have one in my local area!!!!

Having said that, I am too curious about the answer to your question

Well this is my point. I work in commercial pathology, and the work we get from Dermatologists is pretty much skin samples for cancer testing. Other stuff they do is treatment of severe, acute acne ather acute and chronic skin conditions.

Any of which could make any form of shaving difficult. None of the posters here appear to fall into that category, so I can't see why Dermatologists as so popular and frequented in the US. If you don't fall inot the above categories, why are they giving opinions on shaving methods?

Top Bottom