What's new

My dermatologist says to drop the DEs......

I would have assumed you'd be less likely to cut yourself with a multiblade razor as the sheer size of something like a Fusion head would make it almost impossible to dig it into your skin if you apply pressure. Those type of razors also have the blade angle built in to a certain extent so you can't get it completely wrong. Still, now that I'm used to one blade, even a double blade razor feels so rough on my skin compared to the songle blade.

Unless a person is very skilled and uses good technique, I actually think that a two-blade cartridge is probably slightly LESS irritating than a single-blade razor, for the simple reason that the force applied to the face is divided in half between the two blades. Again, I have no scientific evidence of this.

True, but that second blade is hitting your skin almost completely unprotected, whereas doing 2 passes with a single blade allows you to relather.

Why do you think the business doctors have is called a "Practice?" It couldn't be that they are still (always) 'practicing' how to be a doctor :lol::lol:

Maybe they just don't know and can only provide an educated guess, and in some cases a S.W.A.G. (Scientific Wild *** Guess).

I agree with dropping the dermatologist in question and seeking advice elsewhere. From the experience I read, skid row may provide better assessment of the issue.

Last edited:
I'm curious as to why so many Americans visit a dermatologist.

I know of only one person (besides myself) that I know (hands-on, not via Internet) that has visited a derm, and that was 25 years ago, when I was in highschool. He had a bad case of acne. I've been exactly once, because of the itchy and flaky condition of my mustache and beard area. Was told that it was a simple case of sebhorreic dermatitis (basically dandruff) and to use anti-dandruff shampoo to wash the area when it gets bothersome. She also gave me a tube of topical fungicide to help kill the infestation.

That's two instances in almost 40 years. I wouldn't say that there are a lot of Americans visiting dermatologists. Just consider the sheer volume of people in the country and the actual number is relatively higher, but I'd wager that the raw percent per capita is pretty close.

Oh, and there is a self-selecting group here that tends to be more concerned about their skin condition than the general populace. Ever notice how many newbies come in with complaints of "seriously sensitive skin" and are looking for "a better way to shave with less skin problems"?

It seems they're as common as having a GP.

I think that's part of the problem right there.

A Irish friend of mine once cracked "Do you know how how you can tell an American from an European? The American's teeth are straight!" He made hisself laugh pretty hard. I got the joke, but didn't think it all that funny. If we didn't have all these dentists and dermatologists around, they would just be causing unrest some where else.

:biggrin1:

-jim

I also think you should change your dermatologist. Might also wanna pick up an alum block as well. Since I've started using mine, I haven't had acne in the slightest.

After reading the past 4 pages I’ll throw in my 2 cents. Working in the medical field myself it is frustrating at times when patients go against recommendations but they have the right to do as they wish with their bodies and we can only suggest, recommend, or provide alternatives to the situation at hand. As admitting a patient last night from having a cardiac procedure earlier in the day, his wife left the room and brought back some food for him to eat during our usually admission questions, it was very awkward explaining congestive heart failure to someone stuffing their face with KFC, but that’s his choice. No one can make those decisions for him. I am not saying you don’t know how to use a razor, but I can think of the doctor’s rationale with his suggestion; with your de you might have an excellent shave most days but there are some errors here or there, by switching to a cartridge he might be assuming you will gain more consistency day in and out, causing less irritation in the long run. The fusion being a dirty word on this forum, it also happens to be the most popular razor out among the masses; that might be why he threw it out there. Just my opinion, not saying any is better then the other clinically speaking. As for the stuff on his desk, who knows maybe his wife or child bought it for him as a gift set during the holidays. Where I work we have a very strict corporate compliance policy against any “kickbacks” or “gifts” form any company or organization at all employee levels.

I noticed he had a Gillette Fusion coffee mug, baseball cap and mouse pad......... Hmmmmmmm.

As for medical freebies and promos, my father was a pharmacist for nearly 40 years. Man, did he get a lot of freebies, wined and dined by drug reps...

Sometimes doctors get payed to endorse a product on the down low, sounds like he might be getting a nice pay check (or just free cartridges) from Gillette.

...ask him point blank, "Did you get those Fusion freebies from Gillette for endorsing their product?"

Also, it is against federal law to be compensated for writing a prescription. Drug reps can lose their jobs for giving a doctor as much as a sticky note.

As a doc and passionate wet shaver I'd say he's more likely uninformed than on the take. Ask him for a resource where you can read more about the difference. You can even use a medical buzz word that should get his attention-
"Evidence Based Medicine." Ask him for the data he used to give you this advice. I highly doubt he'll have any.

Doctors do not make any money for prescribing one drug over another. Even most of the "perks" beyond free pens and post it note pads are no longer offered or accepted because of fear of repercussions...

Doctors do not induce sickness in patients in order to pad their pockets. We do not need to...

And finally, regarding money: what is so wrong about making it? Does anyone care that the cost of tuition at many medical schools approaches 70 thousand dollars a year with living costs? Does it not matter that I am spending the best years of my life (20s) studying every day, being in a huge debt that I will not be able to pay off for many many years. I would like to get married. I cannot afford a ring for my gf or even to move in with her until I make my whopping salary of 50 thousand a year as a resident for about 4 years. Am I not entitled to a property to call my own? Perhaps a vacation here and there? With over 250 thousand dollars of debt, are doctors not entitled to make enough money to cover the cost of their education + enough to actually live a comfortable lifestyle.

Come on now...we all know how influential the kickback/gift/wine&dine of pen, sticky note, mug, baseball cap, perhaps even the highly coveted mouse pad, and/or eye-glazing lecture can be in persuading you indebted physicians and pharmacists into tossing your years of training in evidence-based medicine and patient care out the window in the hopes of receiving even more of such bounty with which to pad your sad and empty pockets. Medical professionals are so easily bought and sold...but then again, who among us on these forums could resist such sweet, sweet temptation?

(Oooh, did I just have my first multiple sarcasm?)

Last edited:
I do not KNOW the answer. However, let me spin a tale that may provide a plausible explanation...

Let's say you are a GP, and someone comes to you with something that looks for all the world like dermatitis. Then, you as a well-informed mature doctor person prescribe a course of action to deal with the dermatitis.

Next, let's suggest that your remedy does not work, and your patient decides to sue for malpractice (aside from a surplus of dermatologist, we also have a surplus of lawyers).

The lawyer's only question against you is "Are you a s p e c i a l i s t in dermatology?" Since the answer is NO, you are now on the defensive and you lose the case. Your insurance company writes a check, and may even drop you from your malpractice coverage.

From that point forward, you are more than happy to "refer" people to spe......ts for everything. Instead of saying "that IS dermatitis," you learn to say, "that LOOKS LIKE dermatitis. Let me write you a referral to a dermatitis."

At the bottom line, insurance companies and attorneys drive the American bus. Lest anyone think I am cynical, let me further explain that the bus would not exist if there were not so many people willing to ride it.

It seems they're as common as having a GP.

I think that's part of the problem right there.

Last edited:
At the bottom line, insurance companies and attorneys drive the American bus. Lest anyone think I am cynical, let me further explain that the bus would not exist if there were not so many people willing to ride it.

I was with you right up to this point. What part of that bus do I or you have any control over? If it's the only bus in town, that's the bus I got to get on. Willing ain't in it.

-jim

About 3 years ago i got a skin complaint on my face and the first doctor told me to keep things simple which was to keep using a de (he asked what i was using to shave) as a cartridge has got chemicals in the lub strip! when i went to see a spe......t he told me the opposite, de is ok but the creams you rub into your skin with a brush does more harm than a spray of gel/foam, i suppose differnt people have different views.

holy crap, apparently the board software is censoring a certain treatment for erectile dysfunction. because it's cutting the middle out of S.P.E.C.I.A.L.I.S.T.

Not even doctors can overlook the YMMV factor. All they can do is recommend options based on what they think will work in a given situation. But in the end, they have to observe the results, and adjust per the individual patient's reaction. It's like that with medications, and it's like that with shaving. The fact that a dermatologist would recommend a Fusion isn't exactly encouraging, but it isn't really surprising, either. I think doctors are pretty much guessing when it comes to recommending shaving options. Shaving seems to be one of those mystery zones where there isn't much publicly available research going on. Most of the research is done by Gillette and Schick, and is thus considered a trade secret. We can't find out about it, and neither can the doctors. Aside from the fact dermatologists know about skin, I would hedge a bet they don't know much more about what works for shaving than most of us do. The varied recommendations being reported in this thread would seem to back up that theory: single blades, multi-blades and electrics are all being recommended with equal authority.

I'm curious why the doctor recommended a change in the first place. Is there something broken that needs fixing? If not, I'd let your experience guide you more than his generalized recommendation.

I'm going to have to disagree with the claim that a two bladed razor causes less irritation than a DE. I'm one of those people who figured out on his own that multiblade razors were making my face look like a toad's *** due to ingrown hairs and razor burn, so I took myself all the way down finally ending up with the DE and never had a problem since.

Your skin might be reacting to anything, so I recommend a scientific approach--change one variable and see what happens: hand lather instead of using a brush, use less products, use soap instead of cream and vice versa, etc.

He recommended a multiple blade (the more the better, they make them for a reason) with a canned gel. Try the Fusion and the Aveeno shave cream.

I think I need a new dermatologist.....
Normally, to disregard a recommendation from a doctor is inadvisable and I wouldn't tell someone to do so. If you doubt their recommendation, then get a second opinion. However, if your doctor recommended a multiple blade system and if they stated "the more, the better" then it's time to consider a new physician altogether rather than just a second opinion.

I've never heard of a dermatologist endorsing more blades (the better) until today. I certainly think there is no such thing as a "dermatologist recommended" or "dermatologist tested" Fusion-type razor. I have, however, heard of dermatologists recommending in some cases to avoid using multiple blade systems to reduce skin irritation. Hence, I inclined to believe his professional opinion is suspect to a degree.

Last edited:
Top Bottom