What's new

My Catholic Guilt Slant

I remember in my fraternity days there was a lot of "guy talk" and putting down of other people. I participated in it at the time but secretly hated it. Such talk is based on PRIDE; that is, thinking that you are better than others. God hates those kinds of feelings and they are sinful at their core.

The "Catholic guilt" that you're friend is feeling is actually the Holy Spirit working in him to convict him of his sin so that he will confess it and renounce from doing it any more. What he is offering is to repay you for what he said to you-a generous physical offering to accompany the apology.

I understand and sympathize in the fact that you'd like to have a free Slant-in fact, I think everyone would like to have a free Slant. But it's my feeling that if you take advantage of him in the way that you have done, God may have a nasty surprise for you down the road which may take back all of that pleasure you get from shaving with that Slant. God will not allow your friend's apology to be mocked!

Here's an applicable scripture: "For look! The wicked bend their bow, They make ready their arrow on the string, THAT THEY MAY SHOOT SECRETLY AT THE UPRIGHT IN HEART" (Psalm 11:2) Have you shot secretly at the upright in heart? Well, you decide that.

With all of the above in mind, here's an idea: Maybe he should keep the Slant and learn to enjoy it again, and maybe you would both enjoy talking more about the pleasures of wetshaving instead of spending your banter time trading put-downs. And more generally, maybe we should all quit thinking so much about the selfish pleasures involved in the pursuit of gentlemanly rituals, and put more emphasis on the gentlemanly conduct which helps to edify others.

Just my thoughts on a Thursday evening...........:001_smile

Very nice post from The Beav.

If I may generalize for a moment, I believe one of the problems we have as a society is that we have lost the sense of "sin" - of what is wrong and what is not.

Society today is "tolerant", but have we become so tolerant that as parents we do not correct our children, as managers correct our employees? No one likes or enjoys being told their behavior is wrong, but that doesn't absolve us of the responsibility to charitably mention ways to improve.

I'm Catholic and in discussions with friends have often said that at the Final Judgement, it is not what I have done that worries me as much as what I have failed to do. I know my faults and weaknesses better than anyone else. But the things I should have done. The help I should have given. The response I never gave and instead stayed silent - that concerns me more than the stupid things I have done.

Wait a minute! I didn't know you could smoke in cambrige anymore. Even out side? Can you?

For the most part you can.

There are restrictions like public parks.

But for now you can smoke in public.

Surprisingly, total strangers will tell me my cigar smells great or that I look relaxed.

David

I remember in my fraternity days there was a lot of "guy talk" and putting down of other people. I participated in it at the time but secretly hated it. Such talk is based on PRIDE; that is, thinking that you are better than others. God hates those kinds of feelings and they are sinful at their core.

The "Catholic guilt" that you're friend is feeling is actually the Holy Spirit working in him to convict him of his sin so that he will confess it and renounce from doing it any more. What he is offering is to repay you for what he said to you-a generous physical offering to accompany the apology.

I understand and sympathize in the fact that you'd like to have a free Slant-in fact, I think everyone would like to have a free Slant. But it's my feeling that if you take advantage of him in the way that you have done, God may have a nasty surprise for you down the road which may take back all of that pleasure you get from shaving with that Slant. God will not allow your friend's apology to be mocked!

Here's an applicable scripture: "For look! The wicked bend their bow, They make ready their arrow on the string, THAT THEY MAY SHOOT SECRETLY AT THE UPRIGHT IN HEART" (Psalm 11:2) Have you shot secretly at the upright in heart? Well, you decide that.

With all of the above in mind, here's an idea: Maybe he should keep the Slant and learn to enjoy it again, and maybe you would both enjoy talking more about the pleasures of wetshaving instead of spending your banter time trading put-downs. And more generally, maybe we should all quit thinking so much about the selfish pleasures involved in the pursuit of gentlemanly rituals, and put more emphasis on the gentlemanly conduct which helps to edify others.

Very nice post from The Beav.

If I may generalize for a moment, I believe one of the problems we have as a society is that we have lost the sense of "sin" - of what is wrong and what is not.

Society today is "tolerant", but have we become so tolerant that as parents we do not correct our children, as managers correct our employees? No one likes or enjoys being told their behavior is wrong, but that doesn't absolve us of the responsibility to charitably mention ways to improve.

I'm Catholic and in discussions with friends have often said that at the Final Judgement, it is not what I have done that worries me as much as what I have failed to do. I know my faults and weaknesses better than anyone else. But the things I should have done. The help I should have given. The response I never gave and instead stayed silent - that concerns me more than the stupid things I have done.

+1 - Thanks guys. :cool:

It should be noted that if you feel guilty about accpting the razor, I would be glad to assist you by taking it off your hands. I would be glad to offer up a prayer to the diety of your choice. There are things that one must just to to aid humanity and those in need.:001_rolle:001_rolle

Interesting story David! I don't know what it was that your buds said to you, but it must have been pretty harsh to shake a Slant out of one of them. So the question is--do you want to let him off the hook just to jump on one yourself? No matter how you look at it, a Slant is a big deal. By just about any reckoning, it's going to go way beyond canceling out whatever it is that your friend said.

There's supposed to be an old Eskimo proverb that says "gifts make slaves like whips make dogs." If you take that razor, you're going to cancel out what he owes you and you'll be in the red to him. If it were me, I'd tell him that I don't need any gift to accept his apology--his words are enough. Then I'd tell him that if he wants to get rid of the Slant anyway, you'd be happy to trade it for something--a couple cigars? A round of drinks? A nice bottle of something or other? That way, he gets rid of his guilt, you get a new Slant and the books get closed out.

Last edited:
The good Sisters of Perpetual Misery would be very disappointed in you. And yes, I survived Catholic School.

Doc.

I survived a total of 17 years of Catholic School and honestly, with God as my witness and all respect due to those who take up the vocation, I can recall two or three sisters who could have used that slant! :eek:

~Paul

Maybe this is just me (a Protestant with Catholic leanings), but when someone offers me a gift, I look at it as a gift, nothing more, nothing less. If they are giving it with "strings" attached, I do not recognize those strings. When I give a gift, I do it because I want to give the gift to that person and do NOT expect anything from them.

But that's just me.

IT was a nice gesture on the part of your friend. I completly understand your state of mind while sitting there enjoying the cigar. For me, it's a Camacho.

Indeed,

Also, if he was careless enough to lose the Slant in the first place, maybe he doesn't deserve it. He'll be happy to hear how good are the shaves you get from it. You could also offer to buy him a nice shiny (well as shiny as plastic gets) Mach 3 in return for the Slant.

Hey, maybe there's an idea. Like Aladdin, maybe I should buy a load of Mach 3s or Fusions or whatever and go around offering 'new razors for old' - people might bring along some nice Fatboys, Superspeeds etc but knowing my luck, all I'd get would be a bunch of old disposables.

David,

I think you should look at it as you did him a favor in accepting the Slant by allowing him the opportunity to redeem himself and pay penance for his guilt! He will sleep better at night, you're a nice guy, AND you get a new Slant! What a great friend you are. You're practically a Saint! :cool:

David,

I think you should look at it as you did him a favor in accepting the Slant by allowing him the opportunity to redeem himself and pay penance for his guilt! He will sleep better at night, you're a nice guy, AND you get a new Slant! What a great friend you are. You're practically a Saint! :cool:

lol

La Gloria Cubanna Series R #6 Natural does it for me.

Nothing illegal, you're right!! Made at Partagas factory at Rep.Dominicana filled with Nicaraguan and Dominican tobacco, then nicar. binder and finally ecuatorian wrapper you can go wrong with these!!Nice 5,88 lenght and a Toro shape it's a full-flavored little bomb!!

Know i understand your kind of floating around...:thumbup1:

Nothing illegal, you're right!! Made at Partagas factory at Rep.Dominicana filled with Nicaraguan and Dominican tobacco, then nicar. binder and finally ecuatorian wrapper you can go wrong with these!!Nice 5,88 lenght and a Toro shape it's a full-flavored little bomb!!

Know i understand your kind of floating around...:thumbup1:

La Gloria Cubana made in the Dominican Republic from Nicaraguan and Dominican tobacco and an Ecuadorian wrapper.

That's like Chrysler calling itself an American car company. It was the German owned American company building cars in Canada and Mexico. :biggrin: Now it's the bankrupt Italian owned car company building cars in Canada and Mexico without dealers to sell them. :lol:

[...]

+1 That would be nice to do. I don't think I could accept the Slant but I'd be challenged to refure, too.

Top Bottom