What's new

My Catholic Guilt Slant

David,

I think you should look at it as you did him a favor in accepting the Slant by allowing him the opportunity to redeem himself and pay penance for his guilt! He will sleep better at night, you're a nice guy, AND you get a new Slant! What a great friend you are. You're practically a Saint! :cool:
:lol:

A few weeks ago I was having a cigar in Harvard Square, Cambridge before I was to meet some friends. While I'm smoking my cigar I run into three friends of mine. Well we talk then the conversation gets somewhat nasty as in put-downs etc. You know "Guy Talk". Well I generally give it back but I was enjoying my cigar so much I didn't reply.

Well a few days later I get a call from one of them. The guy apologies to me for the "put downs". He felt he was out of line and wanted to say he was sorry. Plus, he told me he was going to 5 PM Mass that day and he felt bad in church thinking about it. I think that by me not replying he thought I was upset.

Then he tells me he knows about my DE Hobby and wants to make it up to me. He then tells me about a brand new Merkur Slant he found recently that he lost behind a bathroom cabinet decades ago. Now he wants to give me it as a "Peace Offering".:001_huh:

While listening to him I realize that one, I'm not upset with him and yes the cigar did help. Two, he is suffering from Catholic Guilt and if you don't know what it is consider yourself lucky. Third, I can get a basically new razor for free.

Now the right thing for me to do is to tell him I wasn't offended and tell him to keep his Slant.

Naaah!!!:biggrin:

Told him his apology was accepted and yes the Slant would make a nice "Peace Offering".

For once in my life Catholic Guilt worked for me!:sneaky2:

David

You know david, reading this...i'm appalled that you took advantage of a mans concept of eternal damnation to score the slant.

100 hail mary's, 100 our fathers, and pif me that slant.

:lol: Seriously though, you should have told him that you're not in the least bit offended, and that receiving the razor as a peace offering would be a falsehood and that you'd feel as though you were taking advantage of his beliefs. Instead, you should have suggested that if he had wished to gift it as a gesture of goodwill and friend ship, you'd be happy to accept it.

The good Sisters of Perpetual Misery would be very disappointed in you. And yes, I survived Catholic School.

Doc.

Now Now... The MFP did smile. And we did get ruler whacks, but to this day I can tell from penmanship who went to a Catholic school with nuns and who was a Public School Slacker. :biggrin:

Doc,

When you really think about it.

Did we really survive?:001_rolle

David

Oh yes, we did. Those nuns were tough, the discipline and lessons they instilled are still with us.

David,

I think you should look at it as you did him a favor in accepting the Slant by allowing him the opportunity to redeem himself and pay penance for his guilt! He will sleep better at night, you're a nice guy, AND you get a new Slant! What a great friend you are. You're practically a Saint! :cool:

I wouldn't go that far...:biggrin:

You know david, reading this...i'm appalled that you took advantage of a mans concept of eternal damnation to score the slant.

100 hail mary's, 100 our fathers, and pif me that slant.

:lol: Seriously though, you should have told him that you're not in the least bit offended, and that receiving the razor as a peace offering would be a falsehood and that you'd feel as though you were taking advantage of his beliefs. Instead, you should have suggested that if he had wished to gift it as a gesture of goodwill and friend ship, you'd be happy to accept it.

Absolutely. Now you're going to feel pangs of guilt every time you use that razor.

Catholic Guilt + Devil's Razor = ???

My guess is that is could burst into flames while you are shaving with it, in that case, your friend will have the last laugh.

As a Catholic of Irish roots, I know full well what "The Guilt" is like. Frankly, if I were in your position, I couldn't accept the razor. Then I would feel "The Guilt" of taking advantage of my friend even though he insists. I would feel bad about it. In fact, I have a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach as I type this!

JFK was himself a cuban connaisseur it seems, but the whole thing of embargo to European eyes seems outdated!! Well but i don't have all information about this issue to get a proper overview.
At the risk of turning this political: it IS outdated. It'll probably change in the not-so-distant future as the old order vehemently anti-Castro Cubans are replaced by their less doctrinaire children.

I know I'm hoping so. I'd love to travel to Cuba!

david,

i think you should look at it as you did him a favor in accepting the slant by allowing him the opportunity to redeem himself and pay penance for his guilt! He will sleep better at night, you're a nice guy, and you get a new slant! What a great friend you are. You're practically a saint! :cool:

+1

Nice try!:glare:

But that's not going to work.

Screw the guilt!:sneaky2:

Um - hey it's up to you. Not trying to make you do anything, just saying honestly how I would feel about it.
It's your conscience so if you can live with it then have at it.

The thing is, I think it's likely if you talked to the guy about it he would have said to keep it anyways, as others have mentioned. Your own first post indicated you felt a little guilty about it (by indicating you felt the "right" action was otherwise), so I personally would rather purchase something than carry guilt around. A free razor is great and all but it's not worth compromising your standards over it, in my opinion anyways.

Last edited:
David,

Uh....you gents do realize I was trying to be facetious? I realize sarcasm doesn't always translate well into words. This situation feels a bit like taking advantage of someone. In all seriousness, I would suggest offering to return the razor as the better way for you to feel good about "doing the right thing", and if you're friend says keep it anyway, then you might consider letting him know that you're going to PIF that razor or another one as a way of passing along his generous gesture. This way you can both feel good about what you are doing :cool:

At the risk of turning this political: it IS outdated. It'll probably change in the not-so-distant future as the old order vehemently anti-Castro Cubans are replaced by their less doctrinaire children.

I know I'm hoping so. I'd love to travel to Cuba!

Actually, this child of Anti Castro Cubans is even more vehement in the defense of Liberty and Freedom.

I would love to travel to Cuba, to the land of my birth, but I will not as long as a government exists which bans Cubans from going to Cuban beaches, from going to 'Tourist Only' areas, which bans freedom of speech, movement, thought, and expression. I choose to not provide any revenue to such a government in the form of tourist dollars.

Now, you know my reasons for not visiting. If you wish to go, should travel restrictions be eased, that is certainly your choice. My choice is not to visit any country which is totalitarian dictatorship.

Actually, this child of Anti Castro Cubans is even more vehement in the defense of Liberty and Freedom.

I would love to travel to Cuba, to the land of my birth, but I will not as long as a government exists which bans Cubans from going to Cuban beaches, from going to 'Tourist Only' areas, which bans freedom of speech, movement, thought, and expression. I choose to not provide any revenue to such a government in the form of tourist dollars.

Now, you know my reasons for not visiting. If you wish to go, should travel restrictions be eased, that is certainly your choice. My choice is not to visit any country which is totalitarian dictatorship.
I understand, respect and agree with your criticisms of Cuba. I do think, however, that our policy is not in line with how we deal with other totalitarian governments (like China) and I think we should be consistent. There wasn't even a travel restriction to the Communist block countries during the cold war. It can reasonably be argued that opening restrictions will eventually help open up Cuban society and even in the short run will improve the lives of Cubans by bringing in dollars. The fact that we still have the embargo is clearly political and not based on general ideals of American foreign policy.

Hopefully, with the nearing death of Fidel Castro and (not as) nearing death of Raoul things will start to change for the better there. We have the same goals but disagree on how to get there.

I'm Jealous......... Not because of the slant, but because you were hanging out in Harvard Square. harvard square is on of my favorite places in the world. One of the absolute bets places to people watch. When i was working on a building at harvard I used to eat breakfast at Au Bon Pan every morning.

I was home two weeks ago, but wasn't able to make the trip to Harvard Square. I usually make it there every time I stop in town.

Maybe next time we could meet up for a smoke.

For anybody who isn't from Boston, or the surrounding area, it is common to insult each other in a somewhat comedic like manor. I run into all sorts of problems that stem from this sort of behavior, while I run around the country.

On second thought - perhaps the best way to deal with any guilt we have managed to stir up is to donate it to some needy, scruffy, shaggy individual.

And I just happen to know one.. personally. :lol:

Top Bottom