What's new

My Brush Restoration & Builds

Those are some truly amazing restorations.

Thank you :thumbup1:

These all look great! With this thread as inspiration, I've just gotten in a Maggard's synth to restore an old Culmak handle that had seen better days. Hope I can do it the same justice you do with your handles!

Thanks!

What knot did you get from Maggard's? I'm sure you'll do fine, but my only recommendations is polish your handle (without the knot installed) to the point your pleased with the shine , and DON"T use too much epoxy.

Please post your pics ... start to finish.

What knot did you get from Maggard's? I'm sure you'll do fine, but my only recommendations is polish your handle (without the knot installed) to the point your pleased with the shine , and DON"T use too much epoxy.

Please post your pics ... start to finish.

I got the Black and White synthetic. It seems like people are really going for synths these days, and the color is ideal for what I'm working with. Also, to be honest, they're awfully inexpensive and I figured if I really dorked it up I wouldn't be out much.
I cannot believe how soft the knot feels in my hand, but doesn't seem floppy or weird. I can't wait to get a lather going with it.

Thanks for the tips. I'll post up my work in another thread, and have some pics with it.

I got the Black and White synthetic. It seems like people are really going for synths these days, and the color is ideal for what I'm working with. Also, to be honest, they're awfully inexpensive and I figured if I really dorked it up I wouldn't be out much.
I cannot believe how soft the knot feels in my hand, but doesn't seem floppy or weird. I can't wait to get a lather going with it.

Thanks for the tips. I'll post up my work in another thread, and have some pics with it.

Well the great thing is, I've found that the darker the knot the less the epoxy shows up if you do use a little too much. I've been using synthetic knot for ~10 months and really enjoy them.

Well I picked a real challenge off ebay.
s-l1600-7-3.jpg

At first glance it doesn't look so terrible,
s-l1600-9-3.jpg

but then you see the backside ... "Now that's a crack!"

I knew about the crack prior to purchasing it, which came in to play making my offer; ... I wasn't sure I could fix it.

I unscrewed the base from the top and remove the knot and its retaining ring. Then I soaked it in hot tap water and dish soap to clean out San Andreas fault of a crack. It wasn't until I had cleaned it with soap and water that I could see it was a Fuller brush (extremely faded).

Using super glue I pulled the crack together and clamped it using stretched electrical tape. I also glued the base to the top; hoping that it would aid in holding the crack together. I laid the handle on its side and bridged the former crack with epoxy. I continued bridging inside the handle all the way around; eventually making it look like a hexagon while looking down in to the handle. Sanding and polishing nearly made the crack disappear, but the remaining crack I accentuated with gold paint and polish more. I filled the base with epoxy, due to its translucent base would have made BB's visible in high lighting.

I bored it out to take a 25mm fan top tuxedo synthetic knot, and finished cleaning out the opening with a Dremel. I softened the sharp edge from boring it out and finish sanding and polishing the base and final overall polish.

Setting the 25mm knot was straight forward and topped off with some weight from BB's.
IMG_0598.JPG

This is the side that had the crack; I touched it up with gold paint figuring if I can't hide it, show it off.

Sorry I didn't take more step by step pictures, but by the time I realized it was going to work out nice, I was nearly done.

As always ... more to come :D

Well I picked a real challenge off ebay.
View attachment 796524
At first glance it doesn't look so terrible,
View attachment 796525
but then you see the backside ... "Now that's a crack!"

I knew about the crack prior to purchasing it, which came in to play making my offer; ... I wasn't sure I could fix it.

I unscrewed the base from the top and remove the knot and its retaining ring. Then I soaked it in hot tap water and dish soap to clean out San Andreas fault of a crack. It wasn't until I had cleaned it with soap and water that I could see it was a Fuller brush (extremely faded).

Using super glue I pulled the crack together and clamped it using stretched electrical tape. I also glued the base to the top; hoping that it would aid in holding the crack together. I laid the handle on its side and bridged the former crack with epoxy. I continued bridging inside the handle all the way around; eventually making it look like a hexagon while looking down in to the handle. Sanding and polishing nearly made the crack disappear, but the remaining crack I accentuated with gold paint and polish more. I filled the base with epoxy, due to its translucent base would have made BB's visible in high lighting.

I bored it out to take a 25mm fan top tuxedo synthetic knot, and finished cleaning out the opening with a Dremel. I softened the sharp edge from boring it out and finish sanding and polishing the base and final overall polish.

Setting the 25mm knot was straight forward and topped off with some weight from BB's.
View attachment 796539
This is the side that had the crack; I touched it up with gold paint figuring if I can't hide it, show it off.

Sorry I didn't take more step by step pictures, but by the time I realized it was going to work out nice, I was nearly done.

As always ... more to come :D

Now it can't drain, you filled in the ditch!!! :scared:

Nice save man! :thumbup:

I agree with @Czarlxxvii - that is very impressive. You brought that from far beyond gone to one very nice looking handle. You're getting real good at these restorations, the care you put into them really shows in the end result.

I agree with @Czarlxxvii - that is very impressive. You brought that from far beyond gone to one very nice looking handle. You're getting real good at these restorations, the care you put into them really shows in the end result.

Thank you!

I had all the toys in my shop, but had to sell it all off to move to Africa two years ago for missionary work. Now everything I do is by hand. Time consuming, but fun.

A Made Rite I restored ...
IMG_0645.JPG

Before
IMG_0650.JPG

After
IMG_0651.JPG

Not perfect, but now repaired, re-weighted and re-knotted with a 22mm Maggard's synthetic. Ready for a new life.

As always more to come ... :D

Top Bottom