What's new

My Brush Restoration & Builds

I really like those handles, gonna have to get one of those! :yesnod:

Nice job, show us when you're done! :thumbsup:

Thanks! I've seen some very similar, but they're hard to find, the Lime Beaters. I'm in the process of the finish; as you know the devil's in the details. :a4:

Well here is the finished Hardright with 22mm synthetic horse hair and gold lettering ...

IMG_0488.JPG

Over all height of 113mm.
More to come ...

Had someone mentioned synthetic horse to me, my reply would be "Why bother?" Seeing your brush is all the answer I need, it's a great match. Once again you've done a fine job!

A couple more ... a Hardright Anchorset and a Made Rite 12. Before ...

s-l1600-3-2.jpg
Made Rite 12.jpg

and after ...

IMG_0495.JPG

Polished, re-lettered and re-knotted with a Tuxedo and a Maggard's synthetic.

More to come ... :001_cool:

You just keep getting better! Both came out great but IMO that Anchorset is your best work yet. Definitely a pair to be proud of. If I had a brush that needed to be restored, I'd send it to you.

You just keep getting better! Both came out great but IMO that Anchorset is your best work yet. Definitely a pair to be proud of. If I had a brush that needed to be restored, I'd send it to you.

Thank you, my favorite is the Hardright. I have a hole mess of the Ever Ready bobbers to restore now. :lol:

Well I restored a Opal and an Ever Ready 250. The Ever Ready I had sitting around for about 2 years and my interest in it is about gone, but I just received the Opal and realized it is marbled red bakelite (very cool). It's been so long that the Ever Ready before pic is so lousy it barely looks like it. Here they are:

s-l1600-13.jpg
p-7.jpg

Knot removal slight polish ...

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG

Completed with Maggard's 22mm synthetic knot ...

IMG_0499.JPG

I really like the Opal, :ihih: the Ever Ready 250 ... meh. :wacko:

As always ..... More to come ... :a39:

Impressive once again. I too like the Opal, and I'm betting from my experience with marbled resins that the pics don't show the marbling nearly as good as seeing it in the flesh.

Hey @Swazilander, I'm interested in details on the Gibbs brush you restored. I'm curious what size knot you used and if you had to do any modifications to the handle to fit the new knot. I have the same brush that I'd love to put a new knot into.

Impressive once again. I too like the Opal, and I'm betting from my experience with marbled resins that the pics don't show the marbling nearly as good as seeing it in the flesh.

You are correct; it looks like a burning coal from the fire, in person. Still haven't decided about keeping or selling it; it's just that pretty!

Hey @Swazilander, I'm interested in details on the Gibbs brush you restored. I'm curious what size knot you used and if you had to do any modifications to the handle to fit the new knot. I have the same brush that I'd love to put a new knot into.

Well this may be a long winded response, but here it goes. I knew that a standard synthetic knot wouldn't fit and after removing the knot it was confirm to be ~19 to 20mm. Through in the removal of the old knot I found that the bottom is only held in with a friction fit and it pop out with little to no effort. I then used a step drill bit to bore it out to accept the 22mm synthetic knot and used fine sand paper to soften the edge. I popped the bottom back into place and filled it to the desired level with BB's (leaving enough room for the new knot, ~12mm). I removed the loose BB's and mixed up enough two part epoxy to just cover all the BB's (when mixed). Poured in the epoxy BB mixture and settled them in place with a chop stick (gently). When the epoxy had harden, I polished the handle with turtle wax rubbing compound and prepared the final epoxy for setting the knot and put in the proper amount (thickness of a nickel) and installed the knot (making sure it was level and no epoxy oozed up and out). If too much pull out knot and wipe off bottom of knot (just bottom and not sides of base). Make sure you do this on a level surface, so as the knot looks even when finished. Let completely harden (24 hours) prior to use.

Sound much harder than it was and I may make it sound complicated, but it wasn't difficult. I'm just very fussy.

I was informed that I need to update my restorations .... well here it goes.

It all started in the tail end of October when I purchase a neat little shaving brush produced by Dox made in Germany.

p-8.jpg

Well when I received it, the condition was amazing, so I decided to revive the boar bristle through a little soak in conditioner. Here's some famous last words "Seemed like a good idea at the time". D'oh! Maybe some of you saw this coming a mile away, like when the child in church says there tummy hurts then their eyes get real big. Well as I said the brush was marked Germany, NOT east or west, just Germany. That should have told me pre 1945 meaning bakelite or wood. It did feel like plastic, but it wasn't. This is what happened when exposed to too much moisture ...

IMG_0553.JPG

That was enough to make me sick, so I dried it off and placed it on a shelf as a pattern for a future brush.

Six months later I pick i off the shelf thinking, I wish I could salvage it somehow, when I realized it wasn't made in one piece. What's this a glimmer of hope?

IMG_0554.JPG

So now armed with hope, I glued neck (ferrel) back together. Glueing, clamping with a rubber band and stretched electrical tape, I made repairs.

IMG_0555.JPG

With cracks in the paint I chose to strip it and epoxy the neck back to the body to re-enforce the repairs, prior to removing the clamping on the neck.

IMG_0557.JPG

It's made of Beach (makes sense it's made in Germany). I let it fully cure, removed the clamps and finish stripping and sanding.

IMG_0558.JPG

I thought about going natural, but the glue in the crack, left a fine black line (yes I'm too fussy), so going with dye and inking.

As always ... More to come :jump:

Top Bottom