What's new

C-Mon Brush Restoration (pic heavy)

Hello B&B Members,

I thought I would share some pics of a recent brush restoration project that I just finished. The brush is a vintage C-Mon Deluxe 55-4. I found it a local Salvation Army Thrift Store in rather poor condition (as you can see). I almost didn't buy it, but for the $4 price they were asking for it I thought I would see what I could do.

I proceeded to wetsand and polish the ferrule and strip, sand, and repaint the handle. The ferrule was loose, so some 5 minute epoxy fixed that problem. I applied multiple coats of gloss black spray paint (with some light sanding in between) and finished with multiple coats of gloss clear. I touched up the lettering on the ferrule with some white Testors paint.

The old boar knot was replaced with an AP Shave Co. 24mm Faux Boar Synthetic (I left the hole diameter at its original 26mm size). I set the knot in the handle at around 12mm giving around a 50mm loft in the end (I used some Durham's Water Putty to get the hole to the depth that I wanted).

Overall, I'm pleased with the end result. Looking forward to seeking how it performs once the epoxy I used to glue in the knot dries.
A-Before 1.jpg
B-Before 2.jpg
C-Sanding of Handle 1.jpg
E-Sanding of Handle 3.jpg
F-Polishing of Ferrual 1.jpg
I- Knot Set and Final Polish.jpg

Top Bottom