What's new

Got my new razors (DScosmetics S9 Titanium & Yaqi Tile Stainless Steel head) and Yaqi 24MM Aqua Highmountain Silvertip Badger Brush!

Heres my full kit!

IMG_0550.jpeg

Just received my DScosmetics S9-T razor with the THT-T handle, and I'm thrilled with the superb finish and the grippy knurling that ensures a secure hold even with wet hands.

My current razor collection includes:

1. Feather Popular: Found it too mild and inefficient. Not recommended unless you're new to DE shaving or have minimal hair growth. Might be best to skip this one.

2. DScosmetics S9 with THT handle in titanium: Impressed by the finish and weight. Will share my experience with it next week.

IMG_0552.jpeg

3. Yaqi Tile (Stainless steel head): Got this to try the Henson medium/aggressive style. Planning to review it after 2-3 weeks.The quality of this head is superb.
IMG_0559.jpeg

As for brushes:

- Omega: My trusty 22mm boar bristle, a decade old and still going strong.

- Yaqi 24MM Aqua High-mountain Silvertip Badger: Tried it twice and it's fantastic. Likely won't use the Omega anymore.

IMG_0554.jpeg

I also ordered two other brushes as gifts:

- Yaqi Mysterious Space 24MM Silvertip Badger
- Moka Express 26MM two-band badger

Comparing them:
- Aqua High-mountain Silvertip: Incredibly soft with good backbone.
- Mysterious Space Silvertip: Soft head with good backbone, but Aqua High-mountain Silvertip is noticeably softer.
- Moka Express Two Band Badger Hair: Beautiful amber handle, good two-band Badger hair, slightly rougher than Silvertip.

Bowl: Yaqi Blue Collapsible Silicone - Larger than expected, great for lathering.

IMG_0562.jpeg

IMG_0561.jpeg

Pairing it all with Proraso Sensitive Cream, Pre-Shave, and Post-Shave Balm.

Blades in my rotation:

- Gillette Platinum: Excellent choice.

- Feather Hi-Stainless: Didn't pair well with Feather Popular, might work better with DScosmetics S9.

- Gillette 7-O’Clock Stainless Green: Still testing, Gillette Platinum seems better with Feather Popular.

- Voskhod: Not as sharp, need to try them with DScosmetics S9.

- Gillette Super Blue (China)and Derby Stainless Steel Extra:Yet to try.

I am really interested to know what you think of the DS9 as that is something I was looking to order last week (the regular version of the DS9 - I hear the DS9 is very good), but passed up on it for now. I did order the Tile head, though, as that seemed really interesting as I've wanted to try the Henson style razor for a while now. I think I'd also prefer the weight of stainless steel over aluminum.

Update: Having used the S9 razor over a dozen times and the Tile razor on a couple of occasions, here are my thoughts:

I initially paired the S9 with Voskshod blades, which I found to be a poor match for my shaving needs. However, the S9 performed much better with both Indian Gillette Super and Russian Gillette Platinum blades.

In my initial experiences with the S9 (experiencing a minor nick or two on the neck), I decided to give the Tile razor a try. The Tile proved to be user-friendly and easy to handle. Interestingly, after using the Tile, I found handling the S9 became much easier, especially in terms of finding the right angle for a smooth shave (resulting in no nicks in the subsequent 10 uses). I now achieve a decent DFS (Damn Fine Shave) with the S9.

My current shaving kit includes Yaqi Soaps. I've tried the Lime & Lemon (which has a notably strong menthol presence), Malibu/Frankenstein, and their Psychedelic variety. The Malibu is a favorite, and while I enjoy the lime and lemon, I think the menthol intensity could be slightly toned down (though I'm a fan of menthol).

My shaving routine typically involves shaving with the grain (WTG), across the grain (XTG), and against the grain (ATG) in that order. However, for my neck, I've recently decided to omit the XTG pass, as it's uncomfortable. Shaving ATG on my neck is passable, though not ideal.

So, my primary question is: If I prefer to shave only against the grain, which razor (aside from a straight razor) would be the best fit for me, considering my proficiency with the S9 and no issues with nicks?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
So, my primary question is: If I prefer to shave only against the grain, which razor (aside from a straight razor) would be the best fit for me, considering my proficiency with the S9 and no issues with nicks?
You are not Negan from the Walking Dead, he also only shaves against the grain...?! :)
You would need a razor that clamps the blade tightly and doesn't chatter when moving ATG, some suggestions come to my mind, but they are a bit harder and more expensive to get, and one that seems to be great ATG but is only based on hearsay, as I don't have said razor.

The Lambda razors Athena and Ares have very well supported blades that also work great ATG.
The Karve Overlander is often recommended for being extremely good ATG. But that's only what I heard, no personal experience.
Henson also has very good blade support.
Game Changer and Lupo are also clamping the blade tightly.

The S9 is basically a Game Changer.

An alternative with a very stiff edge are slant razors, I like the Superslant for that.

You are not Negan from the Walking Dead, he also only shaves against the grain...?! :)
You would need a razor that clamps the blade tightly and doesn't chatter when moving ATG, some suggestions come to my mind, but they are a bit harder and more expensive to get, and one that seems to be great ATG but is only based on hearsay, as I don't have said razor.

The Lambda razors Athena and Ares have very well supported blades that also work great ATG.
The Karve Overlander is often recommended for being extremely good ATG. But that's only what I heard, no personal experience.
Henson also has very good blade support.
Game Changer and Lupo are also clamping the blade tightly.

The S9 is basically a Game Changer.

An alternative with a very stiff edge are slant razors, I like the Superslant for that.

Oops! I meant WTG and not ATG!

What would be the best for WTG only!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Oops! I meant WTG and not ATG!

What would be the best for WTG only!
Any razor that is efficient.

The best razor is the Timeless Slim 0.5 OC, is you like it mild the Lambda Ares.

But see, that's my preference. I also like the Yaqi Harlequin and the Yaqi Mellon a lot.

Which specific razor ultimately fits you best is not decided by my preferences or a forum consensus.

You can try to make an educated guess based on your experiences and forum experiences, but ultimately you will have to try yourself.

Top Bottom