What's new

MWF container?

I have the container and love it. Agree that MWF may have a learning curve for some, but when you get it down (for me, avoiding too much water is key) it’s easy to lather.

My lightly used puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat(MWF) fits perfectly in an empty Razorock What the Puck(WtP) container (WtP puck now resides in one of my apothecary mugs). Since I only use the MWF occasionally a screw top lid was important. I let the puck dry overnight after use and then replace the lid for storage. Glued the MWF box logo onto the container. Overall works well for me. Once I 3017 some other soaps the MWF will eventually migrate to an apothecary mug for more frequent use. Since I like create initial lather on the puck (then face lather) the MWF ceramic container would need a lot more vertical space to provide added value worth the cost and extra space on my counter. See the main benefit of the MWF container as the aesthetic value/charm (per ewk above) it would add to a shave den.

Recommendation would be to first acquire the refill puck and confirm that you like the soap before investing in the ceramic dish. If the soap works well for you then purchase the ceramic container with what would be a back-up puck if desired.

Note that as a hard soap ewk is correct that it does not need a sealed container.
Quick update, I actually just ordered a MWF in the ceramic container as part of a larger Connaught Shaving order (link to thread that includes this pasted below) similar to what NorthernSoul and CCS mentioned above.

At under $17 U.S. (Really just $11 for the container since a puck of MWF is included) versus the typical $30-$35 from local merchants the container became worth the cost. Suspect I'll be using my MWF more often than initially thought.

Last edited:
I like the way you think. MWF has a very nice container, indeed. The ceramic dish is a bargain to anyone using soaps. If it happens that you like the soap, the ceramic dish is a must have, for any serious user.
I prefer the wooden bowl, but the ceramic option is handsome

What characteristics of the wooden bowl makes it preferable to you over the ceramic?
I like wood for its warmth to touch, its perpetual change with wear, its unique character after some use. I must admit, I do not have the MWF wood bowl and would like to see some pictures of the lid.

What characteristics of the wooden bowl makes it preferable to you over the ceramic?
I like wood for its warmth to touch, its perpetual change with wear, its unique character after some use. I must admit, I do not have the MWF wood bowl and would like to see some pictures of the lid.
Personally, I am organically drawn to wood. Aesthetically and elementally, I too associate wood with warmth.
I definitely am not averse to the Ceramic Bowl and will probably get to one shortly. I like the ability to stack and easily retrieve my wooden bowls under my sink e.g. Floris, Truefitt's, etc

Connaught's is the only place I have seen the wooden bowl

proxy.php

...I like wood for its warmth to touch, its perpetual change with wear, its unique character after some use. I must admit, I do not have the MWF wood bowl ...
What Connaught offers is a choice of MWF with the ceramic container, wood bowl, or refill puck by itself. The wood bowl isn't specific to MWF, though. It's a standard oak shaving bowl with lid that Connaught also sells separately to fit most soap pucks up to the MWF size.

What Connaught offers is a choice of MWF with the ceramic container, wood bowl, or refill puck by itself. The wood bowl isn't specific to MWF, though. It's a standard oak shaving bowl with lid that Connaught also sells separately to fit most soap pucks up to the MWF size.
Well, now this makes things interesting...

Thank you @NorthernSoul for the clarification

I like the looks of the wooden bowls but have to think, in time, loading soap in them will slowly destroy the finish. As a display item they look nice but metal, ceramic, glass, plastic seem to be a better choice for long term storage/use.

...I like the ability to stack...

This wooden bowl used for MWF certainly opens up a whole new opportunity. Laser engraved or water-resistant printed label? Endless design ideas as the lid is just a blank canvas, to me.
As to this particular bowl, I would not consider it stackable since it does not have the capability of locking the bowl above into place. Proraso tubs are stackable, in my opinion, as they have top and bottom rims that interlock with the tubs above and below. Just a thought.
I too like wood bowls and have several D.R. Harris ones, but none from Connaught. This might change in the near future.Ha.

Thanks for posting review and pictures.

I like the looks of the wooden bowls but have to think, in time, loading soap in them will slowly destroy the finish. As a display item they look nice but metal, ceramic, glass, plastic seem to be a better choice for long term storage/use.
I use all my hard soaps like a stick and supplementally load in-hand before taking the brush to face.
The only exceptions are MdC and my first puck of the fat, which was placed into an empty container to allow the puck to swell.

I use all my hard soaps like a stick and supplementally load in-hand before taking the brush to face.
The only exceptions are MdC and my first puck of the fat, which was placed into an empty container to allow the puck to swell.
So you take the puck out of the bowl to use it then dry it before you put it back?

So you take the puck out of the bowl to use it then dry it before you put it back?
Pretty much - Floris and Truefitts for example I will take the puck to face after brush loading. That will take care of almost all residual which can then be placed back into the wooden bowl without damaging the basin, given the soap's physical shape.

Other conventional shaped soaps (PdP, SV), I place the moist puck upside down on the lid to air out before putting back in the tin. I normally load these from the bottom. SdM is transplanted immediately into a Maggard's dish yet follows the same load process.

I'm in Southern California, so things dry out pretty quick here.

Pretty much - Floris and Truefitts for example I will take the puck to face after brush loading. That will take care of almost all residual which can then be placed back into the wooden bowl without damaging the basin, given the soap's physical shape.

Other conventional shaped soaps (PdP, SV), I place the moist puck upside down on the lid to air out before putting back in the tin. I normally load these from the bottom. SdM is transplanted immediately into a Maggard's dish yet follows the same load process.

I'm in Southern California, so things dry out pretty quick here.
Thanks for sharing your process. I grew up in SoCal but left long ago to an undisclosed location. I did love my childhood there living close to the beach in Santa Monica but I was just down in April for some family business matters. A LOT has changed!

Thanks for sharing your process. I grew up in SoCal but left long ago to an undisclosed location. I did love my childhood there living close to the beach in Santa Monica but I was just down in April for some family business matters. A LOT has changed!
You bet !

I've lived in SoCal my entire life and I'll never truly leave - I love the fishing scene too much here and my wife still owns her business with roots here.

We have been actively looking at moving to HI at least for half-time, but it's just not quite time yet. We almost pulled the trigger in June, before we made that realization.

I don't get into LA much these days, but agree with you - it's always in some state of change

You bet !

I've lived in SoCal my entire life and I'll never truly leave - I love the fishing scene too much here and my wife still owns her business with roots here.

We have been actively looking at moving to HI at least for half-time, but it's just not quite time yet. We almost pulled the trigger in June, before we made that realization.

I don't get into LA much these days, but agree with you - it's always in some state of change
Hawaii was the first place we considered. Love it there but we ended up in the Rockies (love it here). Anyway, back to the subject at hand so we don't take the thread too far off the rails.

Hawaii was the first place we considered. Love it there but we ended up in the Rockies (love it here). Anyway, back to the subject at hand so we don't take the thread too far off the rails.
Yes, ahem...

I know that if available then, I will procure the wooden bowl and pucks while in London, however I don't want to be responsible for packing away the ceramics in the luggage.

I love using MWF to break-in new brushes with. I find the Lanolin helps condition the bristles...

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
I am about to buy a puck of Mitchell's wool fat for the first time and am trying to decide whether to get it with the MWF ceramic container, or just use a leftover shave soap container with with screw-on lid. Is the MWF ceramic container nice, and is it a good container for only occasional use of the puck? I expect the puck to last me a long time (I rotate through a number of soaps) and was wondering if a container that sealed better would be preferable. I do like the old school appearance of the MWF container, but at the end of the day, I want to keep the puck in good condition.

Thanks for your input.

Here's a poor man's (very poor) soap puck bowl. Take a nut can lid and place it on an empty canned chicken can.

MoveLid.jpg20220923_171800.jpg20220923_171817.jpg

Viola!

Any update from OP @Ramsay ?

I’ve never had MWF, but to me it seems silly that the container costs more then the soap. If it were me I’d just just use an old tub from Stirling or whatever I had available. That’s just me, but what do I know…
I have my puck in a 4oz Maggards soap container and load from there.
It has swelled nice and snug.

proxy.php

Top Bottom