What's new

Murphy & McNeil

BDLM 3 arrived today but have not used it. Smell off the puck was minty, alcohol-ly, and sweet. I was second guessing the purchase just on that smell, but that might be that mojito top note.

I also got the aftershave. So, I dabbed a little on my forearm. Wowza. After that mojito burst fades (quickly), this is a fantastic cologne scent. It reminds me a teeny bit of Bleu de Chanel (I've never used or smelled the Guerlain Homme Intense it's actually based on). Still different at the same time. Oh so pleasant. I'll try to shave with it tomorrow and give an update. I fully expect the Kodiak base to deliver it's usual stellar results.

BDLM3: It's shaving with a mojito!

First shave with it today. I like the mint, and there's the booze too. This is pleasant, but alcoholic drinks are not usually the scents I want to shave with. Hey, I like a nice martini, margarita, gin and tonic, or martini (heh) like the next person, but I choose to avoid those scents. During my shave, all my nose got was this mojito scent. Nothing else really developed until after my shave. Like I wrote, it's absolutely pleasant—I would want to have this drink! About 10 minutes later though, the other smells came out to play. In my other M&M soaps, I usually get the full scent profile upfront, or at least close to it while lathering. Here I did not. Maybe subsequent shaves will be different, but I won't assume so.

I will stop here and say that, if you don't use the BDLM3 splash and just want notes about the shave itself before you add another scent--mojito is all you need to know (according to my nose, ymmv, etc.).

Now, after 10 minutes, those other smells were coming on and the mojito was fading. That's when I put on the splash. Again, mojito time. 15 minutes later, 80% of the cologne smell was there. 20 minutes, it was all there and that original mojito smell was gone to the point that it was just a lovely cologne smell now. I agree with my quick take that it's a little similar to Bleu de Chanel—there's that minty, floral, woody mix I think they both share. It is more than different too though, if that makes sense.

I love this scent. If I only had to buy either the soap or splash, I would go with the splash for the reasons above. I would definitely get one of them! If you love cocktail derivative scents in a soap while you shave, then this is for you too.

As I sit here writing this an hour later, I keep cupping my hands over my face and nose and breathing the scent in. Ahh, love it.

Oh, the shave? As predictably superb as M&M always is for me.

Still a few left in the latest Infinitus drop including a couple of Bay Rums. As for me, my favorite M&M soap of the four I have tried is Granuaile. I love everything about that one starting with the scent (notes of gunpowder, white leather, aged oak, and ocean aquatics), the artwork and the fantastic backstory. Sadly, the Kodiak base soap appears to have left the building.

Resurrecting an older thread because ... I just love this soap. It's my absolute go to favorite base. I recently purchased their Trinity scent in the kodiak base with their "frost" label (just the synthetic cooling ingredient vs. menthol). The soap base is still so so so fantastic. It's so easy for me to create a lather (and I have some rather mid-hard water) (not that I chase photo lather--have you ever seen me post a lather shot?).

Soap continues to deliver the best results (if you liked B&M excelsior, give this puppy a try). But the frost! Oo de lally. I love a chill on the face. I love Stirling's Glacial soaps and aftershaves for that very reason. But wow, this soap was another level of chill. LOVED IT even in December. The synthetic chilling agent does not 'burn' the eyes like using menthol does (to me). But it lasted a good 15-20 minutes (and yeah, I used Stirling's Glacial Executive Man's splash after the shave too).

Happy shaves and soap exploration my friends.

Old thread but got a sampler package.
Got the bug with a BST sale, member sent me a BDLM kodiak sample.
Not sure if it's the bear tallow but it lathered so well so I decided to check out the other scents BDLM was ok scent wise so decided to jump on board..

Bdlm
Bdlm 2
Merrow Clare
Naid
Nantahala
Pisgah
Claddagh
Yang
Gael Laoch

I have say not real into any of the scents other than Nantahala and BDLM.

I'm a newbie somewhat but been wet shaving for 10 plus years.
Using stirling soaps, mountain man, executive man, Scott's pine sheep, SW gravefruit etc these soaps all have good scents none have an off smell.

Maybe it's me but the M&N scents have a "candle shop" lack of a better description...type scent profiles and the ones that are ok are vary lightly scented.

Are there any other scents from M&N that are "safe" so to speak? Thinking Trinity?

Want to love them but not sure as I did get some irritation on the last two shaves that I normally don't get,
unusual irritation "small bumps"

My Merrow of Clare smelled horrible Bill was kind enough to offer a replacement and thinks it is not a bad sample but probably me.

Claddagh was very gritty chunky have read this previously but the sample had almost no scent.

Knowing Scent is a perception but the misses shot them all down but BDLM 1........!

I appreciate the sample game now so much more!

Nantahalah is unobjectionable but I really like Pisgah. Didn’t care much for the Great Bear. Samples are the way to go!!

I have yet to use Pisgah went by smell only.

Will try Trinity.

Funny how sometimes smell before use changes.
Scott's Pine Sheep sat in my line up for 6 months its a sleeper....

I'm a huge fan of M&M products—their Aon and Kodiak soap bases work beautifully for me. They have apparently dropped their prices on all products. FWIW, I see this as engaging in the price range of Stirling products. For myself, I think their soap bases are better than Stirling, and as a consumer, I like cheaper prices. I hope everyone gives M&M a try. With the price reduction, they definitely punch way above their price-weight. Happy shaving to all!

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Was thinking of picking up some soap samples and stumbled across Murphy & McNeil. Their ingredient list looks intriguing (especially their Claddagh scent which incorporates Duck Fat). I've only found a couple reviews online and all have been positive. I was hoping those that have tried their offerings could share their experiences and let me know what they think of their scents (are there any "must try" options). Thanks!
Go Bills!

Who understands the April 2024 shipping terms? It's a $49 threshold for free shipping, but the items must be from the same sender? I'm seeing items from "MM Consigns" not being combined but being tallied separately in discrete transactions, each with a shipping fee.

I believe they have a program where a person may submit items to their sale page and let M&M display and handle the sales but the possessor of the item ships them personally. A sort of remote consignment.

Correct, @haggis, and thanks for the reply.

Prompt email answer from Bill:

We need to turn pickup off on the site as not every product is on location.
When your cart splits like that, it’s being split by vendor which means they’re coming from different locations/sellers… so the extra cart accounts for the fact that it would be a separate order/shipping charge.
Bill @ Murphy and McNeil

M&M soaps are absolutely phenomenal. I put them in the S tier along with Omnibus, k2E, Kairos and Sheep.
I would like to have enjoyed the two sample soaps I've gotten from M&M.
The first sample, Great Bear, wouldn't make lather, at all. It also burned my face.
The second sample, The Abbey, wouldn't make lather and was very grabby, no slickness at all.
My guess is that both of these soaps were made with the same improperly mixed base.
With the experiences I've had, I'm not sure I will every try them again.

YMMV

I would like to have enjoyed the two sample soaps I've gotten from M&M.
The first sample, Great Bear, wouldn't make lather, at all. It also burned my face.
The second sample, The Abbey, wouldn't make lather and was very grabby, no slickness at all.
My guess is that both of these soaps were made with the same improperly mixed base.
With the experiences I've had, I'm not sure I will every try them again.

YMMV

I've had similar subpar experiences, good to know I'm not the only outlier... I went through a tub of Kodiak base soap and really didn't think it was that great, even thought that's supposed to be their "best" one. And I tried tubs of a couple other bases and they just didn't do it for me either. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Kix
Top Bottom