What's new

Murphy & McNeil

My samples arrived on Monday and I opened Natanhala and Ouroboros. I couldn’t smell either due to my poor sense of smell but my wife really liked Natanhala but she thought Ouroboros smelled feminine. So yesterday I shaved with the Natanhala and it made a really nice lather. I was surprised that the samples come in a plastic pouch and not a resealable container. I wanted to smell all 8 but I left 6 unopened because I didn’t want the scent to dissipate before I had a chance to use them. Anyhow the shave was great but about 8 hours after the shave my neck began to grow red spots and became painful. I had to wash my neck and apply a generous dose of Nivea balm. Repeat 30 minutes later. I will try a different one next time but it isn’t looking good for me with M&M Natanhala.

Today I used M&M's Bad Mor from the sample. Because of my poor smell due to years of sinus/allergy problems I struggle to smell most scents. I can smell this! This is really the first time I have ever been able to smell a Bay Rum and I love it! Great lather that whipped up fairly easily in my scuttle from a pinch of the sample. I am praying that I don't develop irritation on my neck later today because I am ready to pull the trigger on a puck of this soap. Does anyone have experience with M&M aftershaves, balms and EdTs?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Today I used M&M's Bad Mor from the sample. Because of my poor smell due to years of sinus/allergy problems I struggle to smell most scents. I can smell this! This is really the first time I have ever been able to smell a Bay Rum and I love it! Great lather that whipped up fairly easily in my scuttle from a pinch of the sample. I am praying that I don't develop irritation on my neck later today because I am ready to pull the trigger on a puck of this soap. Does anyone have experience with M&M aftershaves, balms and EdTs?
I have a few of their aftershaves — and I feel that they leave my skin with a bit of a ‘tacky’ feeling as compared with others. Scent strengths are better on the AS.

My samples arrived on Monday and I opened Natanhala and Ouroboros. I couldn’t smell either due to my poor sense of smell but my wife really liked Natanhala but she thought Ouroboros smelled feminine. So yesterday I shaved with the Natanhala and it made a really nice lather. I was surprised that the samples come in a plastic pouch and not a resealable container. I wanted to smell all 8 but I left 6 unopened because I didn’t want the scent to dissipate before I had a chance to use them. Anyhow the shave was great but about 8 hours after the shave my neck began to grow red spots and became painful. I had to wash my neck and apply a generous dose of Nivea balm. Repeat 30 minutes later. I will try a different one next time but it isn’t looking good for me with M&M Natanhala.

That’s unfortunate that you had a bad reaction to Nantahala. As for the samples in the plastic pouches, two suggestions. If you have any empty ones sitting around, they fit into the larger sample containers that PAA uses or you have to use two of the smaller containers Maggards uses. You could also open them then put them in a ziploc style bag, I would think that would keep the scent from dissipating too quickly but I don’t guarantee it will for an extended period.

That’s great Bad Mor worked much better! That’s one of the few I haven’t tried from them yet, I’ll have to pick up a sample.

I’m assuming you just want to know about the performance or experiences with the aftershave splash, balm and EDT?

I have five of their aftershave splashes (four alcohol free and one with alcohol). They are one of my favourite splashes that I have used. I will say the one alcohol version I have has one of the, if not the strongest, burns but not in a bad way that feels like your face is melting. The alcohol free ones soothe my face and leaves it feeling great. I find the scent strength is stronger on the splashes compared to the same soaps, even in lighter scents like Naid. It isn’t cologne strength like PAA but you can smell it for hours. I can’t say that I’ve noticed a tacky feeling from the splash, I usually use a balm after but not all the time. If there has been any tackiness after, it was nowhere near what I get after using a Noble Otter splash so that may be why I don’t notice. Also, I have to say the new bottles they use for their splashes are the best looking ones on the market IMO.

I have their balms (one frost free edition) and they work well but not my favourite. You have to really shake them before you use them. I find they don’t absorb right away but takes less then five minutes. I find they make my face feel good but not as supple and hydrated as my favourite, the Barrister and Mann balm.

I have two of their EDTs and will be ordering the Pisgah version right away. I really enjoy them and use them regularly. I’d say they are probably as strong as the aftershave or just slightly stronger but last all day compared to the aftershave that lasts a few hours. I spray the center of my chest and when I go to bed, my wife can still smell it. It’s not room filling, I’d say you have to be close to me to smell it but that’s what I prefer anyways. As a caveat, I don’t own any high end fragrances, just fragrances from soap makers so take that for what it’s worth.

Hope that helps

Lathered up the Naid sample for this morning's shave. Definitely developing an unhealthy obsession with this scent. Still wish it were stronger, especially on the apricot portion, but there is just something about it that appeals to me.

Lather was fantastic. Slick, smooth, comfortable, rinses mostly clean, nice post-shave face feel. I still think that cushion is not the strong suit of Murphy and McNeil, but overall this soap is really nice. Too soon to say whether a full puck of Naid is in my future, but I am really enjoying the sample.

I've had a few more M&M shaves using the various scents I ordered as samples. I'm coming around more and more to the Naid. Used it this morning. Think I maximized the lather. Very slick and slightly better protection than on past uses. The scent grows on a person. Still not very strong, but enjoyable.

I've had a few more M&M shaves using the various scents I ordered as samples. I'm coming around more and more to the Naid. Used it this morning. Think I maximized the lather. Very slick and slightly better protection than on past uses. The scent grows on a person. Still not very strong, but enjoyable.

I have eight M&M soaps in various formulations. However, I never was inclined to purchase Naid. I love all eight of the scents I do have, so I might like Naid as well. I have so many soaps in my collection that I have to be very selective in my purchases.

My resistance is weakening. I've been on a hardware jag; it might soon be time to get some unnecessary soap.

I love having a large assortment of unnecessary soaps so I can pick one that suits my mood at any given time. Sometimes I relax by opening several tubs just to enjoy the scents. A pleasant scent can enhance a good mood or moderate a bad mood. Like food, some scents can be quite comforting, especially if they remind us of pleasant experiences from our past.

That’s unfortunate that you had a bad reaction to Nantahala. As for the samples in the plastic pouches, two suggestions. If you have any empty ones sitting around, they fit into the larger sample containers that PAA uses or you have to use two of the smaller containers Maggards uses. You could also open them then put them in a ziploc style bag, I would think that would keep the scent from dissipating too quickly but I don’t guarantee it will for an extended period.

That’s great Bad Mor worked much better! That’s one of the few I haven’t tried from them yet, I’ll have to pick up a sample.

I’m assuming you just want to know about the performance or experiences with the aftershave splash, balm and EDT?

I have five of their aftershave splashes (four alcohol free and one with alcohol). They are one of my favourite splashes that I have used. I will say the one alcohol version I have has one of the, if not the strongest, burns but not in a bad way that feels like your face is melting. The alcohol free ones soothe my face and leaves it feeling great. I find the scent strength is stronger on the splashes compared to the same soaps, even in lighter scents like Naid. It isn’t cologne strength like PAA but you can smell it for hours. I can’t say that I’ve noticed a tacky feeling from the splash, I usually use a balm after but not all the time. If there has been any tackiness after, it was nowhere near what I get after using a Noble Otter splash so that may be why I don’t notice. Also, I have to say the new bottles they use for their splashes are the best looking ones on the market IMO.

I have their balms (one frost free edition) and they work well but not my favourite. You have to really shake them before you use them. I find they don’t absorb right away but takes less then five minutes. I find they make my face feel good but not as supple and hydrated as my favourite, the Barrister and Mann balm.

I have two of their EDTs and will be ordering the Pisgah version right away. I really enjoy them and use them regularly. I’d say they are probably as strong as the aftershave or just slightly stronger but last all day compared to the aftershave that lasts a few hours. I spray the center of my chest and when I go to bed, my wife can still smell it. It’s not room filling, I’d say you have to be close to me to smell it but that’s what I prefer anyways. As a caveat, I don’t own any high end fragrances, just fragrances from soap makers so take that for what it’s worth.

Hope that helps
Definitely agree with the sentiment regarding M&M’s splashes. Their alcohol free version is one of, if not my top splash. My face feels incredible when I use it.

Had another great Naid shave yesterday morning. I gotta say, this thing has grown on me like ivy on the side of an old house. Really thinking hard about making this my next full tub purchase. Good, good stuff.

Had another great Naid shave yesterday morning. I gotta say, this thing has grown on me like ivy on the side of an old house. Really thinking hard about making this my next full tub purchase. Good, good stuff.

I’m glad you are enjoying it. I had a feeling your mind would change after you used it a few times 👍 Naid’s on deck for me tomorrow, always get excited when its turn is up next

Well, folks, Naid may well be my next shave soap purchase, but I will not be making any more shave-related purchases until 2022, so a new tub of Naid is not in my immediate future.

In a moment of extreme weakness, I just dropped a boatload of cash on a revamped, rhodium-replated Toggle. I'll be shaving with whatever soaps I have on hand for the foreseeable future, lol. I will definitely shave through all my M&M samples, down to the last microgram of soap on the bottom of the tub.

Top Bottom