What's new

Murphy & McNeil

The is no avoiding the Brad continuum, it’ll get you every time. Let us know what you think of it, hope you enjoy it as much as I do

Verdict: it's a keeper. Light and pleasant scent on the soap; the splash kicks it up quite a bit. Just used it but seems like it might be lasting.

Still wish it were stronger, especially on the apricot portion
Splurge on the splash; I think you'll find the turn-up you're looking for. (I usually get the alcohol-free versions from M&M but for kicks I got this one in the alcohol version; don't know if it would matter.)

Fired up my sample of Trinity for this morning's shave. This is one of the soaps that disproves the theory that M&M soaps are too lightly scented. Maybe it's because I have been using Naid for a while, but the scent of Trinity just slapped me in the face this morning, not that that's a bad thing.

M&M soaps, again, for me, are EXTREMELY slick but without a lot of cushion. Paid for a bit of inattention/sleepiness this morning with a small area of irritation on the left cheek where I pushed a bit too hard on the straight razor at a slightly wrong angle. Other than that, which was totally shaver error, I got a comfortable two-pass plus touch-up shave.

Verdict: it's a keeper. Light and pleasant scent on the soap; the splash kicks it up quite a bit. Just used it but seems like it might be lasting.

Splurge on the splash; I think you'll find the turn-up you're looking for. (I usually get the alcohol-free versions from M&M but for kicks I got this one in the alcohol version; don't know if it would matter.)
Thought hard about doing this a couple of weeks ago; was torn between alcohol and alcohol-free versions, so hesitated.

Now, as I mentioned a few posts ago in this thread, I won't be splurging on ANYTHING shave related for at least the rest of this year, since I purchased a revamped and rhodium-plated toggle from the B/S/T. (The toggle has been my "holy grail" razor for hunting for about a decade. I never wanted to just buy one online, I wanted to "score" one in the wild. I was holding onto that dream, but it was seeming less and less likely to ever come true. Just scanning the B/S/T the other day and found this beauty. I am a sucker for rhodium plating, too. This kind of razor doesn't come up for sale very often; wondered if I would ever have another chance to score a gleaming rhodium-plated, fully functional toggle, and decided I probably wouldn't. So I bought it. My wife wasn't happy with the price, but she understood why I did what I did. She would not be as understanding about an aftershave purchase at this particular time, if you know what I mean. Maybe I can put it on my Christmas list? By then she may have forgotten about how much money I spent on the toggle? I also told her that I planned to "pay for" the toggle with 1) sales, 2) savings, and 3) extra work. I now have a 3X5 card on which I am tracking the money I bring in from each of these three avenues. I am already up to $30 (in three days). Once I get all the funds I spent on the toggle and can show her that I made it happen, perhaps then I can think about adding an aftershave splash. It might take me the rest of the year to earn back the price of the toggle via those three methods, but I am determined to make it happen.)

Shaved with the Bad Mor soap this morning. A very nice soap. Lathered quickly and easily and plentifully. Plenty slick and protective and it smelled great. Ouraboros is next up!
I haven’t tried my Ouroboros sample yet but I agree about Bad Mor. I really like it. Interestingly Bad Mor comes in a 5 ounce container instead of the 4 ounces that most of the others come in. I have too many soaps right now but it is next on my list to buy. I just need to use up a couple of pucks.

Fired up my sample of Trinity for this morning's shave. This is one of the soaps that disproves the theory that M&M soaps are too lightly scented. Maybe it's because I have been using Naid for a while, but the scent of Trinity just slapped me in the face this morning, not that that's a bad thing.

M&M soaps, again, for me, are EXTREMELY slick but without a lot of cushion. Paid for a bit of inattention/sleepiness this morning with a small area of irritation on the left cheek where I pushed a bit too hard on the straight razor at a slightly wrong angle. Other than that, which was totally shaver error, I got a comfortable two-pass plus touch-up shave.

Typically, in my evaluation of numerous shaving soaps, I find that you can control the balance of slickness and cushion by adjusting the hydration of the lather. A wetter lather tends to have greater slickness, but lesser cushion. A dryer lather tends to lose slickness, but improves the cushion. With Murphy & McNeil soaps, I find that I can get a nice balance between slickness and cushion if I get the lather hydration right.

Some people prefer slickness, some prefer cushion. I like a balance of both.

Came back to this thread to say it is now official. I am smitten with the Naid scent, ironically the one I disliked the most when I first smelled the samples I ordered. Used it for yesterday morning's shave and just loved it. Perfect lather.

Even the comparative lack of scent strength of this one is seeming like a positive to me now. Most artisan soaps are over-scented. The subtlety of this scent is actually quite inviting.

Can't buy a new soap now (purchase holiday after dropping considerable coin on a refurbished, rhodium-plated Toggle), but maybe I can put it on my Christmas list!

Came back to this thread to say it is now official. I am smitten with the Naid scent, ironically the one I disliked the most when I first smelled the samples I ordered. Used it for yesterday morning's shave and just loved it. Perfect lather.

Even the comparative lack of scent strength of this one is seeming like a positive to me now. Most artisan soaps are over-scented. The subtlety of this scent is actually quite inviting.

Can't buy a new soap now (purchase holiday after dropping considerable coin on a refurbished, rhodium-plated Toggle), but maybe I can put it on my Christmas list!

I had a feeling you’d come around 😉

Kells soap landed the other day and I used it last night. I like the base, scent was good and surprisingly long lasting. Used Fine Snakebite after that shave and the scent came back after the AS settled. Nice.

It loaded and lathered quickly, used a little less water than I do with the veggie bases. Plenty slick, good cushion, good soap. Blade was a 5/8 Dorko. It's a keeper.

I tried the kodiak base through Pisgah. It seems OK though i have yet to see what the hype on this base was about. The scent was above average but again nothing exceptional to my nose. Perhaps as I get used to it and how to use it better, my impressions of it will improve - I hope so.

I've been eying Murphy and McNeil for quite some time unfortunately overseas shipping rates from the US to Europe are just ridiculous nowadays so I'll have to pass

I've been eying Murphy and McNeil for quite some time unfortunately overseas shipping rates from the US to Europe are just ridiculous nowadays so I'll have to pass

I’m not sure what shipping from Top of the Chain (Canada) is like to Europe but they carry Murphy and McNeil as well.

I have still been using my samples every once in a while. I have grown to really enjoy Cat Sidh (? Spelling) and, of course, Naid. This morning I used the latter soap and had a fantastic shave.
Got the lather thickness pretty much perfect. Face feel after the shave was also really, really good.
I have a feeling that come my birthday (November) or Christmas a puck of Naid, plus or minus the aftershave, will find its way into my den.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
E9D75998-717F-4041-9229-78CD308428CC.jpeg

I really like Murphy and McNeil Barbershop de los Muertos 2. I tried after talking via PM with a fellow B&B member. I was not disappointed. It has performed well.
4900B918-B279-4A73-B715-58A9A513E183.jpeg

I ordered M&M's Yang soap in the Kodiak base yesterday. Their scent description intrigued me, and well, Kodiak base. Yang is a medium strength scent where "bright woody notes of Bamboo join teakwood and a touch of bergamot that amplify the woody note of bamboo while keeping the overall accord brighter than you would expect."

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I ordered M&M's Yang soap in the Kodiak base yesterday. Their scent description intrigued me, and well, Kodiak base. Yang is a medium strength scent where "bright woody notes of Bamboo join teakwood and a touch of bergamot that amplify the woody note of bamboo while keeping the overall accord brighter than you would expect."
Let us know your impressions, please.

Yang arrived today (that was nice and quick).

I am no scent expert. But to me, it has a clean, woody, floral scent off the puck with a bit of spice. No real green scent to me, but I think it’s wrapped up in that floral scent somewhere. Not as green or earthy like a regular fougere (no classic green fern smell, for example). I don’t get anything fruity either (not that it was expected) or any kind of dirt or earth. Very nice and not something I already have in my den.

I expect the Kodiak base to shave as well as ever, but I'll still let y'all know about the scent during a shave as well.

yang.jpeg

Yang arrived today (that was nice and quick).

I am no scent expert. But to me, it has a clean, woody, floral scent off the puck with a bit of spice. No real green scent to me, but I think it’s wrapped up in that floral scent somewhere. Not as green or earthy like a regular fougere (no classic green fern smell, for example). I don’t get anything fruity either (not that it was expected) or any kind of dirt or earth. Very nice and not something I already have in my den.

I expect the Kodiak base to shave as well as ever, but I'll still let y'all know about the scent during a shave as well.

View attachment 1321493

I do enjoy both the scents and performance of Murphy & McNeil. I have some that go back to the original tallow formula that is so soft that it really qualifies as a cream or at least a croap. Later AON and Kodiak formulations are firmer. Of the eight soaps in my den, all rate as elite and the scents rate as 10/10. There is not a single one in the lot that I do not love.

I would be tempted to add Yang to my collection, but I just cannot justify adding another M&M soap to my den at this time.

BTW, for those who have a preference for Kodiak over AON, please note that only the initial release of YING and YANG will be in the Kodiak base. I like both bases, so I do not have a strong preference either way.

Two new M&M soaps arriving this Sunday. I'm a huge fan of their slightly mentholated Gael Laoch (I have a backup tub), and they have an orange one coming.

But I'm more intrigued by the BDLM 3. This looks right up my alley:

Scent Strength: Medium
Scent Profile: Classified as a woody aromatic, this fragrance is bold, green, woody and boozy at once.
Top: Mint, Rhubarb Leaf, Rum
Mid: Geranium
Base: Patchouli, Cedar, Vetiver
Note: Some may recognize this fragrance as an homage to "Homme Intense"

If y'all buy it out before me, shame on me :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom