What's new

Murphy & McNeil

Nantahala ordered. Bring on the Bear tallow!

(along with DG Darkfall in the new Milksteak base)

what an exciting soap day! Haha

i ordered 2 tubs of nantahala, one a/s splash, DG darkfall, Massacre of the innocents, bandwagon and finally Noble otters jungle warrior .... old stock of after the rain and wholly kaw's king of bourbon

I also purchased from a seller on here M&M mandate of heaven and cat sidhe .... i think i have a problem...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
i ordered 2 tubs of nantahala, one a/s splash, DG darkfall, Massacre of the innocents, bandwagon and finally Noble otters jungle warrior .... old stock of after the rain and wholly kaw's king of bourbon

I also purchased from a seller on here M&M mandate of heaven and cat sidhe .... i think i have a problem...

1570978752329.png

The tuition at SAD University is high.
  1. In order to find out which soap is best for me I try a few soaps (few can be a very big word) but I reach shaving soap nirvana with Soap X.
  2. Let's say Soap X is actually the best soap in the world for me (that's quite an assumption but we have to start somewhere).
  3. Because it's the best for me I love it.
  4. Thus I buy every appealing scent and base Soap X makes.
  5. Soon I have enough Soap X to last fifteen years.
  6. Soap Y is invented. Everyone says it's better. I try it. They're right.
  7. Steps 3 - 5 are repeated.
  8. Soap Z is invented.
I'm not sure this is an endless process but it could be. If so I'm using the best soap(s) in the world for me, but what do I do with Soap X, Soap Y, and all the Step 1 Soaps.

Balance is important. Having shave dens on both sides of the house delays some problems.

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 1025627

The tuition at SAD University is high.
  1. In order to find out which soap is best for me I try a few soaps (few can be a very big word) but I reach shaving soap nirvana with Soap X.
  2. Let's say Soap X is actually the best soap in the world for me (that's quite an assumption but we have to start somewhere).
  3. Because it's the best for me I love it.
  4. Thus I buy every appealing scent and base Soap X makes.
  5. Soon I have enough Soap X to last fifteen years.
  6. Soap Y is invented. Everyone says it's better. I try it. They're right.
  7. Steps 3 - 5 are repeated.
  8. Soap Z is invented.
I'm not sure this is an endless process but it could be. If so I'm using the best soap(s) in the world for me, but what do I do with Soap X, Soap Y, and all the Step 1 Soaps.

Balance is important. Having shave dens on both sides of the house delays some problems.

Happy shaves,

Jim

great list of steps, i however, have added one step, "Get wife interested in Shave soaps and DE's", increases shave den space and range of soap selection lol... but seriously, i think im done purchasing anything else until i start working my way through what i have... that and all of the samples -_-

First shave with the Nantahala this morning. I think I’ve found my new favorite soap. Love the scent and the performance was amazing. Big home run from M&M!

Bear Tallow in the house!

Wow, this is really weird. My SOTD set-up this morning was nearly identical to this picture. I used the Nantahala soap, Chittenango Creek AS, my GC84 with TiBam New York handle that looks exactly like the one in your pic, and a Shavemac 2 band with similarly-shaped ivory handle. That is really freaky. I debated for a bit on the aftershave selection, and figured the Chitt Creek would be a good match with the soap given the outdoorsy theme. And I had definitely not seen your post yet!

@MTG Jr and @Bad Badger ... eager to hear your reviews, fellas! Mine is in Kentucky and on its way to my bear den. Can you guys describe the scent, please?

I thought I just gave my review! I’m a terrible scent describer. I just know what I like and what I don’t like.....and I really like this one. To me, it’s a pretty complex scent, but there’s a definite sweetness up front. Reminds me a little bit of Trinity....which may help explain why I like it so much. They do have the bergamot and pineapple top notes in common, so it appears I’m not just imagining the similarity. I think you’re going to like it. I love it.

My first try with Nantahala was this morning also. I hated to spend so much for the soap since I already have about a 30 year supply of soap currently, but couldn't resist since I lived in Western North Carolina for years and have so many wonderful memories of hiking, photography, fishing, kayaking etc. I can tell you from personal experience that the Nantahala is a cold river even in August.

The shave was excellent. I'm so used to the previous soft formula that this indeed seemed like an entirely different company to me. I treat the soft formula like a cream and scoop a small amount out for bowl lathering. For Nantahala, I loaded on the puck and moved to the bowl for lathering. I found this soap to take a little more work to lather. It is also a thirsty soap, but not as thirsty as the softer formula. As I was building lather, I was careful and deliberate in adding water and ended up with a very dense and extremely creamy lather. I don't think Nantahala is as slick as the softer version, but it seemed extremely protective. My shave was extremely close and irritation free and the post shave is excellent, even better than the older soft formula. The scent was mild to medium, very pleasant, but I wish it was slightly stronger. I have no idea if the bear tallow makes a noticeable difference, but the soap was extremely protective. It made my Timeless .95 feel like I was using a milder razor as I felt I could concentrate less and still be protected.

Can anyone add their impressions of the scent on Nantahala? is it mostly cirrus forward, like a summer type of scent?

Nantahala is excellent in all aspects! I'm a bit in the honeymoon phase, but this is probably my favorite M&M soap in regards to both scent and performance.

The scent is very clean/summer-like and yes, I would agree its pretty similar to Trinity. There is a nice balance of citrus and earthiness with some aquatic notes in the mix as well. It's all balanced together perfectly and mid-strength.

One interesting thing, the lather was more shiny than what I've seen out of my other M&M soaps. It took a while to build up the lather, but it dialed in easily. Elite-level soap all the way.

Highly recommended.

Thanks for the notes on the scent. I have been trying to fight it, but will most likely end up getting this one. Even if it is a bit gimmicky, the idea of the bear tallow really intrigues me. I have also been very impressed with the AON based M&M soaps that I have.

I have also been very impressed with the AON based M&M soaps that I have.

I must agree with you on this. After sticking with the M&M original base, as well as a couple other brands for the last week or 2, I pulled out Gael Laoch again over the weekend. For me, there was a noticeable improvement in the slickness and comfort over anything I had used recently.

I also have Nanthala on the way, but as I ordered the after shave as well, it must be coming ground. Tracking says it won’t be here until next Thursday...

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I didn't know about this release but today while taking a break i looked up M&M and bought my first soap to try.

Top Bottom