What's new

Murphy & McNeil

I received the Cliffs of Moher today ... and it’s a beautiful, complex scent. Sort of a ‘rocks and green pastures meets the sea’ kind of vibe.

View attachment 1017000

I received a set of samples from Murphy & McNeil a few days ago. I had never tried the company's products before, and several members here encouraged me to order some samples before placing an order for full-sized products. I'm glad for the advice, and happy, so far, with my samples.

I've had at least three shaves so far from my Cliffs of Moher sample. The cream is a bit denser than other soaps that I have used. This is by no means a criticism, just a statement of comparison. I have been extremely happy with both the quality of the shave - easy glide without any nicks or other issues. The post-shave feel is excellent as well. I found the scent pleasant, and certainly not overpowering. However, I could not come up with words to describe the scent. I think that the quote above, however, has nailed it!

I'm curious about the aftershave - is the scent level similar to that of the soap. Alcohol or no alcohol? What about menthol? Love to hear the pros & cons of all of the options (and the balm as well).

Sean

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I received a set of samples from Murphy & McNeil a few days ago. I had never tried the company's products before, and several members here encouraged me to order some samples before placing an order for full-sized products. I'm glad for the advice, and happy, so far, with my samples.

I've had at least three shaves so far from my Cliffs of Moher sample. The cream is a bit denser than other soaps that I have used. This is by no means a criticism, just a statement of comparison. I have been extremely happy with both the quality of the shave - easy glide without any nicks or other issues. The post-shave feel is excellent as well. I found the scent pleasant, and certainly not overpowering. However, I could not come up with words to describe the scent. I think that the quote above, however, has nailed it!

I'm curious about the aftershave - is the scent level similar to that of the soap. Alcohol or no alcohol? What about menthol? Love to hear the pros & cons of all of the options (and the balm as well).

Sean
Sean, if you like the scent, you’ll love the splash. I got the alcohol-based with 2x menthol. It’s awesome!

If the alcohol ‘sting’ bothers you, then the non-alcohol version will suit you well.

Last edited:
Sean, if you like the scent, you’ll love the splash. I got the alcohol-based with 2x menthol. It’s awesome!

If the alcohol ‘sting’ bothers you, then the non-alcohol version will suit you well.

As much as I would like to place an order right now, the smart thing would be for me to work through a few of the other samples. The trouble is, of course, that the samples are so generous that they took some time to work through. My guess is that the Cliffs of Moher has at least another week worth of shaves in it. After that, I need to decide whether to try Magh Tured (another of the seasons that I ordered) or to try Claddagh next.

Thoughts?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
As much as I would like to place an order right now, the smart thing would be for me to work through a few of the other samples. The trouble is, of course, that the samples are so generous that they took some time to work through. My guess is that the Cliffs of Moher has at least another week worth of shaves in it. After that, I need to decide whether to try Magh Tured (another of the seasons that I ordered) or to try Claddagh next.

Thoughts?
Of those two, I only have Claddagh. It’s a wonderful, subtle cologne scent. I actually prefer the scent of it over the Cliffs.

My sample of Tobac Fanaile arrived and I had a chance to try it few times.

It’s a very subtle Tobacco scent with a nice balance of Vanilla and hint of spice.

My wife thought it smelled like a “Christmas Candle” and I guess I can see that after smelling it a number of times.

I don’t think I’ll order a full tub, but I’ll be enjoying the sample until it’s gone.

My sample of Tobac Fanaile arrived and I had a chance to try it few times.

It’s a very subtle Tobacco scent with a nice balance of Vanilla and hint of spice.

My wife thought it smelled like a “Christmas Candle” and I guess I can see that after smelling it a number of times.

I don’t think I’ll order a full tub, but I’ll be enjoying the sample until it’s gone.

Any similarity of this and A&E's Vanille de Tabac (as they both are supposed to both be based on the Tom Ford scent)?

Well, I tried one of the new Fall releases and the scent didn’t agree with me. In its place, I took delivery today of a jar of Trinity. Lovely stuff!

Well, I tried one of the new Fall releases and the scent didn’t agree with me. In its place, I took delivery today of a jar of Trinity. Lovely stuff!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the scent of the soap that didn't agree with you, as well as the Trinity.

I am sampling Cliffs of Moher. I love the shave. I find the scent rather light, but pleasant enough.

I have Tobac Fanaile in the mail, and your description matches what I was looking for in a nice fall/winter scent. Looking forward to using this over the next few months!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the scent of the soap that didn't agree with you, as well as the Trinity.

I am sampling Cliffs of Moher. I love the shave. I find the scent rather light, but pleasant enough.

Sure. Check out post #329 in this thread.

As far as Trinity goes, it’s a nice Creed Aventus dupe. If you like that scent, you’ll probably enjoy Trinity.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
I received a 4 samples from Murphy & McNeil a week or so ago, I've shaved with only these soaps for the last week, no pre shave or moisturizer after.
lather - builds easily and is thick
slickness-ok but not great
residual slickness-little to none
post shave feel-none other then clean, no lasting softness
these soaps our completely average to me no better or worse then most of the soap out there
not for me
the scents were ok but as long as I don't hate them I'm good with it , scent means little to me

Out of the 200 soaps and 80 or so brands I have acquired, about 80% I rate at least very good and certainly BBS irritation free capability. Most makers today including large companies to artisans produce a very serviceable product. With good technique, only a couple I find moderately serviceable and only 2 ended up in the shower as total failure. I first tried M&M based on the excellent reviews found here on B&B. I was really fortunate that M&M put some of their older soft formulas on sale for $10 and that gave me an opportunity to try with little risk. I immediately felt this soap had excellent potential and it soon moved into my top 10. Turned out it was very, very good in all categories, but I especially liked how protective it was due to excellent residual slickness. I now have about 6 of their soaps and over 45 shaves in and now M&M has moved into my top 5. That's really impressive to me as there are so few differentiators at the elite level. I'm not saying this is the best soap. But I feel it is competitive to the very best currently in any category. If I had any gripe, it would probably be that I enjoy stronger scents and would like to see M&M strengthen their scents a little bit. I realize many like milder scents, I guess I just feel slightly stronger scents enhance the experience for me.

Out of the 200 soaps and 80 or so brands I have acquired, about 80% I rate at least very good and certainly BBS irritation free capability. Most makers today including large companies to artisans produce a very serviceable product. With good technique, only a couple I find moderately serviceable and only 2 ended up in the shower as total failure. I first tried M&M based on the excellent reviews found here on B&B. I was really fortunate that M&M put some of their older soft formulas on sale for $10 and that gave me an opportunity to try with little risk. I immediately felt this soap had excellent potential and it soon moved into my top 10. Turned out it was very, very good in all categories, but I especially liked how protective it was due to excellent residual slickness. I now have about 6 of their soaps and over 45 shaves in and now M&M has moved into my top 5. That's really impressive to me as there are so few differentiators at the elite level. I'm not saying this is the best soap. But I feel it is competitive to the very best currently in any category. If I had any gripe, it would probably be that I enjoy stronger scents and would like to see M&M strengthen their scents a little bit. I realize many like milder scents, I guess I just feel slightly stronger scents enhance the experience for me.

Agree 100%

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Through the kindness of @HighSpeedSpoon I was able to try the M&M soap, specifically the Claddagh. I absolutely loved the scent.

slickness-ok but not great
residual slickness-little to none
That has been exactly my experience so far. I've not had what I would call slick lather or residual slickness to any extent.

Turned out it was very, very good in all categories, but I especially liked how protective it was due to excellent residual slickness.
What is your secret on getting slick lather or residual slickness? I would consider this a very good soap for me were it not for the lack of slickness and residual slickness. I have soft water and I've tried drier and wetter lather and it seems about the same for slickness.

Thanks for any ideas anyone may have.

...What is your secret on getting slick lather or residual slickness? I would consider this a very good soap for me were it not for the lack of slickness and residual slickness. I have soft water and I've tried drier and wetter lather and it seems about the same for slickness.

Thanks for any ideas anyone may have.

There's no real "scret" IMO as I have used part of a sample of their Gael Laeoch and it's slicker than a Philadelphia lawyer. ;)

What is your secret on getting slick lather or residual slickness? I would consider this a very good soap for me were it not for the lack of slickness and residual slickness. I have soft water and I've tried drier and wetter lather and it seems about the same for slickness.

I'm not sure there is any secret. I do have soft water and that is an advantage. This is a very soft soap and I treat it like a cream. I place an large almond sized amount in my Timeless bowl. I like to use a synthetic brush with this soap. I just build lather adding a few drops of water at a time until the lather really builds and appears dense but not overly sticky. Even though the soap is soft, it is somewhat thirsty. I find this soap gets so slick, I have a difficult time holding my Timeless razor with the pineapple handle without it slipping out of my hand. This should build enough lather for four passes although I usually only need 3 for a BBS shave. I am amazed how often I can shave over the same spot without irritation. The ingredients in this soap are like other high quality soaps and they all can be very slick. M&M just does it very well. Post shave leaves my face very soft and I find my skin improves with continued use. My wife has actually commented on this.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I will try with a larger quantity of soap, but I'm getting enough lather out of what I'm using and have soft water as I said, so that should not be an issue.

Damn, I wish you would have posted something about Ouroboros. I would have loved to have traded you for a M&M soap which I don't care for the scent. Ouroboros is one I really like and have not ordered yet. Magh Tured is another M&M scent that works well for me.

Im currently using the Ouroboros A/S Balm, and im not quite suer how i feel about it, the wife says she thinks it smells like sunblock... the balm itself is awesome.. just might need a different scent.

I have the Bad Mor A/S Splash W/O Alcohol and it gave me a pretty intense burning feeling that lasted for 5 mins or so, however, i did shave with T/S Maya so the two might not go well together.. ill have to try again...

Im currently using the Ouroboros A/S Balm, and im not quite suer how i feel about it, the wife says she thinks it smells like sunblock... the balm itself is awesome.. just might need a different scent.

I have the Bad Mor A/S Splash W/O Alcohol and it gave me a pretty intense burning feeling that lasted for 5 mins or so, however, i did shave with T/S Maya so the two might not go well together.. ill have to try again...

Do either the T/S Maya or A/S contain Almond Oil? I find that I can tolerate some almond oil in my soap, but when it is in an A/S, I get something resembling a heat rash.

Top Bottom