What's new

Muehle or Merkur razor?

Good evening gentlemen,

I would like to know something. Is the quality of a Muehle razor comparable or maybe better than a Merkur razor? I've got a HD now which i like a lot, but i want an open comb too, for everyday use and rotation.

I would like to know if the quality and plating is comparable of a Muehle razor with Merkur.

So, for instance this one http://www.muehle-shaving.com/shop/razors/classic/1/safety_razor/2/8/R_89 with this http://www.scharferladen.de/shop/merkur-rasierer-p-422.html?

Thanks in advance!

I own a Merkur 25C ('long' handled) open comb, and a 38C Barber Pole, and I've had problems with both, one is to be returned infact. But there are a lot of good things about them too and it's just a matter of getting used to. Don't expect too much with aesthetics because if you have a very good eye for symmetry and finding imperfection, you are bound to find that on Merkur's razors. Some have defects so I hope you get a good one. I have not been so lucky, specially with the 38C. However that said, Merkur is reputable, a good brand, but I don't doubt that Muehle-Pinsel is a good brand also. My wife gave me a slivertip brush for my birthday from them, it was expensive and I was shocked she did that, but I'm very happy with it. It lathers like a zombie's mouth full of suds. :)

Hahaha, nice one!

Now i'm thinking between a Mergress and a Mühle. Hmmm, decisions, decisions. Always hard ain't they? :S

Well, I own a Muhle, a couple of Merkurs (38C and Slant) and a Mergress and you are absolutely right, you should buy them all.

But, if you have to make a choice, I rather like the quirkiness of the Muhle razor so, if quirky fits your personality, go for it.

Cheers

Jeremy

I've got a Merkur 11C on order. When it arrives I'll see if I have time to take some pictures and post a review of it.

Check the reviews as I don't own open comb razors from either vendor, but I think I've read a lot about how the Muhle open combs are VERY aggressive razors, maybe more so than the Merkur open combs.

+1 on the aggressiveness of the Meuhle. I have or rather had an R89. It's a cool looking razor. I turned mine into a Frankenrazor by putting the head of a Gillette Tech on the R89 handle. The R89 head just tore up my face.

I would hope that all of the R89s wouldn't be like mine, but mine didn't clamp the blade down flat. The edges of the blade were wavy - imagine dragging that across your face. Yikes! However, other's here have had good shaves with an R89. So, like everything else, YMMV. I would say get an R89 and a Merkur. See which one you like better and then sell the other.

Good luck!

Hi guys,

Thanks for the input. Now i'm thinking of buying a fat boy or mergress.

I've already got a HD and a Super Speed is coming (tomorrow probably). I also joined a bidding-contest in a shop, which i will probably win. This is a Gillette open comb one, i think it's a big fellow. So, then i have a few nice razors. But now want an adjustable.

I don't want to suffer from RAD, but can i stop it...........? :D

there has been reports of a manufacturing defect on some R89 in which the head dosnt clam hard enough on the blade, leading to more agressive shaving,

there has been reports of a manufacturing defect on some R89 in which the head dosnt clam hard enough on the blade, leading to more agressive shaving,

Hmmm, seems that razor-producing companies suffer from some problems with their molds.

I got a Muhle R89 last week and while it is an aggressive razor, it works really well for me. I've been getting close shaves and no nicks yet. There are no quality issues on mine although Dan's seems to be problematic. The fit & finish is definitely better than my Merkurs. For me, this is a keeper.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
thats the R41, same razor but different patern on the handle and is nickle coated insted of chrome like the R89, the mhule site sells it for the same price and 8 euros shipping for the whole of europe,

Top Bottom