What's new

Most aggressive Gillette razor

We already have a thread discussing some of the most gentle razors. Since I tend to like aggressive razors, I wonder which Gillette razor would qualify as the most aggressive ever produced. For simplicity, let's ignore those that were made before the advent of today's thin blades.
I suppose the most aggressive razors produced today are the adjustable Merkurs, but I'm specifically interested in Gillettes (and other less known brands). A Fatboy or a Slim on 9 are fairly aggressive, but I would say they are still not as aggressive as a Futur on 6.

Regards,
Alex

In my opinion, the rocket or SS are a bit aggressive but for me, in general, I've got no particular problems with razors, It's most of the time with some blades.

Any Gillette adjustable dialed up to 9 will be aggressive.

For non-adjustable it I would vote for a Big Fellow (lots of weight) with a New Standard Head.

In general I think the New Standard head is the most aggressive compared to Old Style and NEW and any of the closed comb razors (SS, Red Tip SS, Aritsocrats, etc).

I totally agree with what Dave said. All of Gillette's razor with the New Standard head produce a more aggressive shave.

Red Tip Super Speed is my vote for the non-adjustable and any adjustable dialed up to 9 would probably fit the bill as well. :wink:

If I were going to recommend one, it would be the New Improved (Standard) or NEW razors. But an Old Type will be the most aggressive, IMHO. The difference is most notable in ATG passes, which are so close as to be uncomfortable using the Old Type. That is my experience, anyway. YMMV.

Norm

Any Gillette adjustable dialed up to 9 will be aggressive.

For non-adjustable it I would vote for a Big Fellow (lots of weight) with a New Standard Head.

In general I think the New Standard head is the most aggressive compared to Old Style and NEW and any of the closed comb razors (SS, Red Tip SS, Aritsocrats, etc).

Yes, I am with you here- the New and Improved are aggressive and that is why I like them so much. They get the job done very close and with one or two passes at the most. However, I find that it requires a very sharp blade otherwise it is not fun. So you end up using each blade less times (4-5 times works for me).

As far as I understand, the New Improved is one of those old razors that was made for use with thicker blades than the ones we use today. Is that right, or have I misunderstood something?

Alex

The New Improved was model that transitioned to the thin blades. The Old style uses thick blades and apparently some shim it to work better.

The New Improved was model that transitioned to the thin blades. The Old style uses thick blades and apparently some shim it to work better.

Sorry, but the New improved razor comes 1921 and was for the old thick 3 hole blades. 1929 comes the New Gillette razor with the new thin blades.

Top Bottom