What's new

Butterfly type razor

I love the idea of getting a vintage Gillette, like a slim fatboy or flare tip etc but most of these have butterfly heads. The two butterfly razors I have (wilkinson sword and a ming shi) both give a poor shave and lots of razor burn. I don't know if its my technique or the razors but I don't have this problem with other razor types. Anyone have any ideas it would be most appreciated.

It's entirely possible TTO design is what's giving you issues. However, I wouldn't generalize to all TTOs based on those two particular razors. Even within Gillette TTOs I've used, there's noticeable differences in my experiences. I'd be even less inclined to generalized from those brands to Gillette, or vice versa.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
This is wild , because I just finished reading another thread ( why I won't buy expensive razors ) by another member here.. He discussed having just dropped his favorite razor and broken it , and it was one of the Wilkinson Sword TTO razors....
I thought it was a Weishi, but I could well be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

This is wild , because I just finished reading another thread ( why I won't buy expensive razors ) by another member here.. He discussed having just dropped his favorite razor and broken it , and it was one of the Wilkinson Sword TTO razors....
That was me 🙂 It was a Wilkinson TTO made by Weishi for Wilkinson.

To answer OP's question, I guess it's technique. There is no difference in the quality of a shave between a TTO and a 3-piece razor.

I like TTO/butterfly razors for the way the blade is loaded and released. Not because there is any difference in the shave you get out of TTO/butterfly vs a 3-piece razor. There is no such thing in my experience. As ever, YMMV.

Top Bottom