What's new

Butterfly type razor

If you get good shaves with a 3-piece razor, stay with it

A Gillette TTO is built like a tank and will provide a great shave with good technique. There is no special technique needed for TTO razors.

Frankly, the TTO’s you’ve used to date are not great razors. All of the Gillettes are. Get the Gillette, master it and shave with it for life. Don’t buy stuff you don’t need.

A Gillette TTO is built like a tank and will provide a great shave with good technique
Absolutely. Superb design and scientific mass production with top class component quality is an eternally winning combination.

I confess I do have a weakness for vintage Gillette TTO's. However they are often still highly affordable, and are indeed multi-generational razors if not grossly treated. Even then they are highly repairable.

Here is a lovely 1948-9 Super Speed
IMG_20240302_212041308.jpg
And it's father, a 1941 Ranger Tech
IMG_20240306_202522681.jpg

I make their combined age to be 158 years. Both relatively complex little machines and both mechanically functioning and shaving beautifully as of March 2024.

@Mariner69 I would strongly recommend that you pick up a mid-late 50's Gillette TTO Flaretip, or even better a 1940's Super Speed to be a wonderful shaving companion. The 60's to mid 80's black handled Super Speeds are also excellent choices.

I believe they are still plentiful and very affordable in the US. I promise you that you will not be disappointed.

Last edited:
Grab a Gillette any of the above mentioned are well made and will hold the blade snug, which I surmise is the key to a TTO working properly.
While I have a great collection of Gillettes and like them all, the Rockwell T2 TTO mechanism and build knocked it out of the park in my book

Top Bottom