What's new

Modern Open Comb

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
the masters say I have a tendency to get "carried away", and that I "indulge unabashedly in rhetorical excess".

gt036.jpg

There is no "probably" about it sir.

Imagine a world in which depressed men depress levers on pressurized vessels to project foul smelling goo onto their very faces. Imagine a world in which behemoths distribute multi-bladed hydra upon the masses, such that when one blade is slain, two more arise in it's place. Such a world is a hell even the hardiest among us hardly dare contemplate, yet barely a generation ago was the fate of nearly every man on this earth. There is no "probably" about it indeed.

Here, in this day, in this dawn of hope, in the age of lanolin and CNC'd 316 SS, to say "probably" extends beyond arrogance into blasphemy against those heroic souls who barely a generation ago crawled from the muck and despair of multi-bladed cartridges to purchase Weishi's and Pearls from streetside vendors, who bought substandard soaps at exorbitant cost from basement soapmongers, and who watched their shaving dreams rot like the very threads of their $70 zamac razors. In this age of opulence, when 3 superb razors made by earnest manufacturers cost less than puck of Penhaligons, I say "buy all three", and I see the prudence and reason of it.

Buy those three razors OP, lest ye damn us all...

Nice. Very, very nice. Were you targeting a specific time period? Late 1800s?

Anyway, my favorite - the one that literally got an "LOL":
"...and who watched their shaving dreams rot like the very threads of their $70 zamac razors."

A HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! Funny stuff indeed!

Nice. Very, very nice. Were you targeting a specific time period? Late 1800s?

Anyway, my favorite - the one that literally got an "LOL":
"...and who watched their shaving dreams rot like the very threads of their $70 zamac razors."

A HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! Funny stuff indeed!

Glad you got a chuckle out of it! I had a few laughs writing it that's for sure. I was actually talking about the 1990's-2010 during which period we somehow went from single blade disposable cartridges to 5 blade cartridges for reasons only Gillette's marketing dept will ever understand. "Imagine a world in which behemoths distribute multi-bladed hydra upon the masses, such that when one blade is slain, two more arise in it's place."

I really think we have made a lot of progress in the last decade. I'm constantly amazed to see the incredible new soaps and razors coming out by the day. If you had told me even a year ago that Italian Barber would put out a CNC generated 316 stainless steel razor for $50, I would have told you it wasn't possible. But a month ago the Mambo came out, and the reports I've heard are that the fit and finish are on par with a $200 razor. Incredible. There's never been a better time to be a DE shaver I think!

Glad you got a chuckle out of it! I had a few laughs writing it that's for sure. I was actually talking about the 1990's-2010 during which period we somehow went from single blade disposable cartridges to 5 blade cartridges for reasons only Gillette's marketing dept will ever understand. "Imagine a world in which behemoths distribute multi-bladed hydra upon the masses, such that when one blade is slain, two more arise in it's place."

I really think we have made a lot of progress in the last decade. I'm constantly amazed to see the incredible new soaps and razors coming out by the day. If you had told me even a year ago that Italian Barber would put out a CNC generated 316 stainless steel razor for $50, I would have told you it wasn't possible. But a month ago the Mambo came out, and the reports I've heard are that the fit and finish are on par with a $200 razor. Incredible. There's never been a better time to be a DE shaver I think!

Oh, when I asked about time period, I was referring to the writing style. As far as multi-blade disposables, I don't think it just shot from one to five. It was more gradual. I remember twin blades going to triple in the 80s. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Present day...I've been binge watching the BBC's Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman LOL.

I think you're right that the double bladed razors started popping up in the 70's and 80's. I didn't start shaving until the 90's so I missed all that.

Two weeks ago I purchased a Maggards Razors V2 Open Comb head. Maggards handles are good weight and I like the 3 different heads I have for it.

+1 for the Maggard's v2 OC. It's a smooth and efficient shaver without being overly aggressive.

Top Bottom