What's new

Modern Open Comb

I’m looking for a good modern open open comb razor that won’t break the bank. Under $100.00 thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your tastes are at all like mine, I would go with the Muhle R41. It's more of a "scallop" comb, but most throw it into the OC category. If the aluminum PAA DOC Evolution were available, that's the one I would pick.

There are several options. How aggressive are you wanting?. Merkur OC would probably be the mildest while Fatip the most aggressive. Not sure if the R41 is an OC. There are several more in between.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Merkur OC would probably be the mildest while Fatip the most aggressive.

I believe that a misconception of Fatip razors. My Grande is actually a very mild shaver and with a Gillette Yellow blade it feels like it has no blade in it, yet is efficient enough for me to use a single pass ATG and get a BBS shave.

Aggressive and efficient are two different things. The Fatip OC family is highly efficient while being incredibly smooth.

I believe that a misconception of Fatip razors. My Grande is actually a very mild shaver and with a Gillette Yellow blade it feels like it has no blade in it, yet is efficient enough for me to use a single pass ATG and get a BBS shave.

Aggressive and efficient are two different things. The Fatip OC family is highly efficient while being incredibly smooth.

Maybe now. I have a 5 year old Fatip with the skinny cap, that biases my opinion. When I put the Gentile’s cap on the OC it became a moderate razor, but I am unsure of how a modern Fatip OC compares. The old Fatip’s are very aggressive and are all I have expierence with.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Maybe now. I have a 5 year old Fatip with the skinny cap, that biases my opinion. When I put the Gentile’s cap on the OC it became a moderate razor, but I am unsure of how a modern Fatip OC compares. The old Fatip’s are very aggressive and are all I have expierence with.

The Fatip Mk1 as I understand it is a completely different razor yeah, and this is why the confusion and reputation.

The base plates between the Mk1 and 2 are different as well, but I have no idea how they shave. The newer Mk2 is very smooth and comfortable to use and not the least bit 'scary' in feel.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
In somewhat most liked to almost as nice order:

RazoRock Old Type...utterly amazing razor.
Fatip Grande
Merkur 1904
Merkur 25C
Fatip Piccolo
Schone OC

I have two OC that I like better than any safety bar razor. One is the Merkur 25C. The other is a Parker 24C. Both are long handle razors which I like as I have XL hands. The Merkur is fairly light in weight whereas the Parker is fairly heavy. I really like the Parker.

Two weeks ago I purchased a Maggards Razors V2 Open Comb head. Maggards handles are good weight and I like the 3 different heads I have for it.

I recommend the RR Old Type as it is an excellent clone of the real Gillette Old Type. Of course, why look for modern when you vintage Gillette Old Type, Single Ring, and New in plentiful supply. Nothing modern will beat them.

Two weeks ago I purchased a Maggards Razors V2 Open Comb head. Maggards handles are good weight and I like the 3 different heads I have for it.

The Maggard V2 head is listed as being made in India. Thus, I strongly suspect that the head is made by Parker. It certainly looks like the head on my Parker 24C. If so, it is a nice head. Since the Parker head is fairly heavy compared to some, you need a substantial handle to provide balance. It sounds like the Maggard handle might be suitable.

Top Bottom