What's new

Modern Open Comb

I have the maggards with the mr5 handle. Afaik it's a replica of the Parker. The thing I like about it is that it's hard to get the angle wrong. It just doesn't work if you have the wrong angle. Unless of course you use too much pressure.

It was my first razor. It's great. With a handle It's way way under $100.

A milder option would be the 1904.

I love the open comb. Looks like I'm going to have to try the fatip. Are they all the same head?

I'll chime in with thumbs up for Razorock Old Type and Schone Open Comb. Both are fairly mild. The RR Old Type is really nothing like the razor it is named after. It may look a little like it but it doesn't shave like it. The vintage Old Type is still my favorite razor. But the RR is a nice razor that can be used as an everyday driver. Same with the Schone Open Comb which offers a nice mild and smooth shave. With good technique you can get nice shaves from both of these.

Fatip Grande or Fatip Piccolo if you've refined your technique with respect to angle and pressure, or you want to learn quickly. The Piccolo is $19.60 and the Grande is $23.60 at Maggards right now with ~$3.50 economy shipping and nickel plating. I would recommend the nickel finish, because I've heard about issues with the QC of the chrome plating and the black finish. Both the handle and head are plated brass! If you're technique is up to snuff, and you're seeking smoothness and efficiency, the Fatips deliver big time. I'm referring to the new generation Fatips; I have no experience with the old ones made prior to the retooling.

If you're looking for a more forgiving razor: I have about 90-100 shaves on the RazoRock Old Type, which is an excellent razor and is more forgiving but in IMHO its a Camry to the Fatip's Ferrari. The barber pole handle is chrome plated brass, and is one of my favorite handles. The head is zamac however. The cost is $14.95 + ~$6.50 shipping.

Last edited:
Having used the PAA DOC, Parker OC, Pearl, New LC, New SC, and Schone, the Schone was the most comfortable and easiest to get a close blood-free shave. The easiest to use was the New LC, but doesn't quite get as close as the Schone, it's close, but not quite. I struggled with the PAA DOC to get a close shave, part of that is it feels weird, and you need to apply some pressure in order which is counter intuitive to everything you should do with an safety razor. I found the Parker to be a bit rough compared to the Schone or Pearl, and the Schone is worlds more comfortable than the Pearl. The New SC is a bit edgier if you will, and a bit easier to get a small nick if you're in a hurry than the LC or Schone. - That was my take on them.

Fatip Grande or Fatip Piccolo if you've refined your technique with respect to angle and pressure, or you want to learn quickly. The Piccolo is $19.60 and the Grande is $23.60 at Maggards right now with ~$3.50 economy shipping and nickel plating. I would recommend the nickel finish, because I've heard about issues with the QC of the chrome plating and the black finish. Both the handle and head are plated brass! If you're technique is up to snuff, and you're seeking smoothness and efficiency, the Fatips deliver big time. I'm referring to the new generation Fatips; I have no experience with the old ones made prior to the retooling.

If you're looking for a more forgiving razor: I have about 90-100 shaves on the RazoRock Old Type, which is an excellent razor and is more forgiving but in IMHO its a Camry to the Fatip's Ferrari. The barber pole handle is chrome plated brass, and is one of my favorite handles. The head is zamac however. The cost is $14.95 + ~$6.50 shipping.

Everything said here. I couldn't have said it better myself, so I won't try. I just got a Fatip Grande in nickel a little over a week ago. Can't beat this deal. Fantastic razor, outstanding value.

I tallied the votes:

Fatip Variants (Grande,Piccolo,Schone): 13
All other OC razors in the World Combined: 7
Total: 21

I initially voted Fatip, but given that your budget is $100, I propose that you buy the Fatip Grande, the RR old type with it's exceptional brass handle, and the head only of the Maggard OC v2. Even with shipping charges, you'll still have $35.46 to buy sharp blades & the slickest soap you can find. However, and this is terribly important, you must report back here with the results of your research to those of us who have generously shared our own, that way, it's not RAD, it's science.

Fatip Grande: $23.60
RR Old Type with Handle: $14.99
Maggards OC v2 (Head Only): $15.95
Italian Barber Shipping: $6.50
Maggards Shipping: $3.50
Total: $64.54

I initially voted Fatip, but given that your budget is $100, I propose that you buy the Fatip Grande, the RR old type with it's exceptional brass handle, and the head only of the Maggard OC v2. Even with shipping charges, you'll still have $35.46 to buy sharp blades & the slickest soap you can find. However, and this is terribly important, you must report back here with the results of your research to those of us who have generously shared our own, that way, it's not RAD, it's science.

+1

Who are we to argue with science?

+1

Who are we to argue with science?

Quite. Only a fool argues with science, just as only the intemperate indulge in the various acquisition disorders. Collaborative scientific research is the only thing standing between some of us being soap/razor/brush junkies and men of science advancing the cause of comfortable, affordable, and efficient BBS shaves.

Some will argue that it's a purely semantic distinction, but I will say this: show me the first man to review Wholly Kaw Donkey's Milk, and I'll show you a goddamn hero; show me the last man who reviewed Colonel Conks Lime and I'll show you a fool and a drunkard. Elevating the divine is very different than acknowledging the adequate.

It is precisely for this reason that I have more razors than there are days in the month, enough soap to wash an Ottoman army, and yet feel only the pride of progress and nothing more.

Last edited:
I can see that this is something that has become bigger than all of us! Quick, OP, buy all the things!

If you think about it, this is bettering humanity, probably. :badger:

There is no "probably" about it sir.

Imagine a world in which depressed men depress levers on pressurized vessels to project foul smelling goo onto their very faces. Imagine a world in which behemoths distribute multi-bladed hydra upon the masses, such that when one blade is slain, two more arise in it's place. Such a world is a hell even the hardiest among us hardly dare contemplate, yet barely a generation ago was the fate of nearly every man on this earth. There is no "probably" about it indeed.

Here, in this day, in this dawn of hope, in the age of lanolin and CNC'd 316 SS, to say "probably" extends beyond arrogance into blasphemy against those heroic souls who barely a generation ago crawled from the muck and despair of multi-bladed cartridges to purchase Weishi's and Pearls from streetside vendors, who bought substandard soaps at exorbitant cost from basement soapmongers, and who watched their shaving dreams rot like the very threads of their $70 zamac razors. In this age of opulence, when 3 superb razors made by earnest manufacturers cost less than puck of Penhaligons, I say "buy all three", and I see the prudence and reason of it.

Buy those three razors OP, lest ye damn us all...

Last edited:
Although I'm new to this (not wet shaving, but to RAD, blade testing, technique enhancement, etc.) my vote is for the Fatip Grande as well. I shaved with it yesterday (hot shower, Proraso Red, GSB, Nivea balm) and it came the closest I've ever come to a BBS. This was without any weepers, nicks, or irritation.

Man, I'm in tears sitting at my desk chair! Dovo1695 for President!

Thanks! I'm an apprentice enabler at BOSC majoring in Soap Acquisitions Disorders, but I'm working on RAD to round out my syllabus a bit. I'm hoping to become a journeyman this holiday season, but the masters say I have a tendency to get "carried away", and that I "indulge unabashedly in rhetorical excess". I just don't see it...:001_tongu

Top Bottom