What's new

Modern May Challenge 2022

29th shave this month with a modern. I confess I'm addicted to the feel of a dolphin skin smooth face after a shave and nothing delivers quite like a Wolf.
Imagepipe_52.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Modern May Challenge

Tonight’s shave
RazoRock JAWS 0.84
Shark Super Stainless (1)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
AP ShaveCo Cashmere 30mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: hot shower
Lather: Col Conk Unscented, face-lathered
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream

Very quick, clean shave off a fresh Shark Super Stainless. Afterwards, the feeling of over-shaving presented itself. Didn’t Bob Dylan once croon “gave myself a BBS, but I used a little too much force” in “Tangled Up In Blue?” I’ve heard it both ways. To catching the the comfort I chase next time.

20220529_201051-01-01.jpeg

Parker 62R today.
Parker has discontinued this razor a couple of years ago. This might be the main reason why this razor totally flies under the radar and seldomly gets attention anymore. To some extend, that's a pity, since it's a really good shaver.

This spurned journeyman is a 3-piece shaver made of solid brass with nickel plating, which perhaps is slightly on the aggressive of the spectrum, but in any case efficient. Quite efficient, I have to say. 😀 Two passes (wtg/atg) made my skin feel like twelve again. I had to shave with care in the soul patch area. But today I obviously did good, so I ended my shave without weepers or cuts 😀

Have a great start into the new week, y'all!

Last edited:
5_30 sotd.jpg

The Comparison Shave

Since I have today off from work, and I had the time, and the bathroom door has a lock and "Danger: In Use" sign, I decided to challenge my morning motor skills and use the two Overlanders, nickel-plated brass and black aluminum, on EVERY pass, switching the blade between them as I did one side then with one, then the other. To illustrate, brass right, aluminum left then next pass right, brass left, then next pass right, etc. See, that is why the door was shut! No interruptions that could result in the loss of a finger, and no side-eye looks questioning my sanity!!

The shave was a wonderful experience! I noted only two differences: the obvious difference in mass: brass is 110 grams and aluminum is 37 grams; and the slight "drag" that the aluminum has. The brass had a drag, which memory says was more noticeable, but after the nickel plating the drag is gone.

Technique shifted easily, which came as a minor surprise to me, and I had no difficulty going from light to heavy and back again.

One of the reasons I wanted to try this version is the advanced arthritis in my hands. According to imaging, I have next to no cartilage on the bones in my hand, especially the thumb joints. When it is "acting up," holding heavier objects can be a challenge. I noted this several weeks ago with the brass Overlander, most notably when shaving the left side of my face (I am right-handed and haven't learned to use my left hand for shaving). So the aluminum interested me, especially after @OhioBob and I corresponded regarding his experience with both.

Bottom line: I am very pleased! I now have, I think, the only modern DE razors that interest me and more importantly work for me: The Overlander, the Christopher Bradley, and the Yates 921-M. (I know, I most likely jinxed myself now and The Next Great Thing will appear on my Buy Now list!!!)

Modern May for Today...

Usual Naked Armor stainless steel scuttle, Perfecto Badger (badger badger badger) brush. But...

Maggard MR8 148 g monster handle mated to Muhle R41 open comb bloodletter head.

Proraso refreshing pre-shave
Proraso refreshing shave cream
Captain's Choice Bay Rum aftershave, followed by Neutogena SPF 30 purescreen sun block (for the time spent outside for a Memorial Day cookout).

9.5/10. It takes a real commitment to taking your time w/this particular combination of handle & blade, but it pays off in a real BBS shave.

Speaking of Memorial Day, I particularly have three Great Uncles in mind this year. Harry, Joe, & Moe all fought in WWII. I keep forgetting which of Joe & Moe landed in Europe on D-Day and which was a cook in the South Pacific. Harry, though, piloted a B-24 bomber in 25 missions over Europe, winning the Distinguished Flying Cross for doing so. The last time I saw him was at my younger daughter's baby naming, and I had no idea that such a true American Hero was in my house. Harry was also literally the first person from his branch of my family born in the United States; my maternal grandmother was born in Ukraine.

Like so many from that generation, all three are gone now. But we truly owe our freedom to them & their comrades in arms who literally helped to defeat true evil, then returned home to build the strongest economy that the human race had ever seen. They almost never spoke about it, either. All in a life's work.

So, if I might be so bold as to ask, please raise a glass with me to Harry, Joe, & Moe Shipon.

20220530_153737.jpg
-Z

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
🇺🇸 🇺🇸 Memorial Day 2022 🇺🇸 🇺🇸
🇺🇸 🇺🇸 May We Never Forget 🇺🇸 🇺🇸
Modern May 2022
20220529_205837~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB (Timeless Spiral TRH6 Titanium Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline (9)
Brush: Rudy Vey 2022 B&B Contributors Brush (Mühle 25mm STF)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Fragrance: Cuba Orange EdT Spray
20220529_205912~2.jpg

Superb, top tier shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11788481

🇺🇸 🇺🇸 Memorial Day 2022 🇺🇸 🇺🇸
🇺🇸 🇺🇸 May We Never Forget 🇺🇸 🇺🇸
Modern May 2022
View attachment 1464396
Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB (Timeless Spiral TRH6 Titanium Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline (9)
Brush: Rudy Vey 2022 B&B Contributors Brush (Mühle 25mm STF)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Fragrance: Cuba Orange EdT Spray
View attachment 1464397
Superb, top tier shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11788481

Love that Clubman Pinaud Bay Rum!

-Z

SOTD #120/2022
31-May-2022

■ Mistura May Madness ■ Modern May Challenge ■
20220530_164353-01-01.jpeg

The final shave of this lovely journey. Thank you @Texchappy for hosting the Modern May Challenge! It's been great fun. We'll do that again in 2023, shall we?

I'll end my Modern May Challenge with a modern classic, Mühle R108 (basically, it's the R89 head with a different handle). Blade of choice was the Wilkinson Sword (Germany). Three passes, almost BBS. Nice and very easy, dramafree.

Stay safe, y'all!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I chose one of the most modern razor designs for this last day of Modern May. The Timeless Razor. What a unique and interesting design. The baseplate alone is a thing of beauty. And it performs great too. I have had four Timeless Razors. All four were great. However, in a den filled with Wolfman, Charcoal Goods, Blackland, etc, there was no need for four Timeless Razors. This one, the 68 in polished stainless, won the job. As much as the 95 was more efficient, the 68 was smoother and more refined. Not every razor needs to be an ultra-efficient shaving monster. Sometimes all one needs is a nice mild shave with great DFS results. And the Timeless 68 delivers. A perfect way to end Modern May.

CA774669-7588-4D2B-B217-A978B75146BF.jpeg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Modern May Challenge

Last night’s shave
RazoRock JAWS 0.84
Shark Super Stainless (2)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
AP ShaveCo Cashmere 30mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: nope
Lather: Col Conk Unscented, face-lathered
Post-shave: hot shower
Post-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream

Whatever magic I experienced with no-prep steep-angled shaving has fled. Still, three passes and a cleanup pass (pretty much four passes) and it close enough, comfortable enough, and pretty much quick enough. A few stragglers stayed on the right hand side of my neck. Noted which side of the blade I used to use for next time.

Finishing out the Modern May Challenge this evening — thank you, @Texchappy ! — finding my two, newest razors from RazoRock (“German” 37 and JAWS 0.84) are aces for delivering a close, comfortable shave with a single, steep ATG pass. At least for me and at least if I use a complicated preparatory ritual like splashing around under a running shower.

Top Bottom