What's new

Modern Cast Iron skillets which do/would you use?

I looked back to January 1 and unless i missed it, i did not find any topics on modern brands of cast iron. I am curious what people have used and or tried and their experience. I tried grinding down a lodge and well that was a chore and i did not like the end result. Instead of buying more lodge pans and practicing more on grinding i figure it might be more economical in the end to just bit the bullet and buy one of the upper priced newer cast iron skillets

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
AFAIK, if you want a machined surface on your cast iron you need to find an old Griswold etc.

Birmingham Stove and Range ones have a machined surface. I found a 6 5/8" one at an antique store for about $2.00. Stripped it down with electrolysis and re-seasoned it, and it works like a champ. The markings show it was made in the '60s. But it's just luck on what you can find. One place had an old Wagner that was all rusted and they wanted about $80 for it. Nope.

On a Lodge I just use it until the crevises fill up from keeping it seasoned and it smooths out a bit.

@apriliamille what do you mean by "grinding down" ??
EDIT: I googled it, and, well, I personally don't see why would you want to do that, but, at least I now know what you meant by "grinding".

We have several Lodge and Le Creuset pots and pans and both are working great for us. The key with Lodge is to preseason well. With both, Lodge and Le Creuset you want to preheat them both properly (low heat while doing food prep, then increase if needed as you're about to cook your food).

Lodge, once properly seasoned works great for everything we use it for, (most delicate dishes we used it for were fish and crepes). Every now and then it'll end up really messy (spices and meat mostly) and all that's needed to get it back to perfection is pouring some hot water on after you're done cooking (not cold so you don't de-grease), few minutes on the stove and gentle wash with dedicated brush only (we never used soap on these). Make sure they are completely dry before you store them away and they'll last you and be in great condition for very long time. You might want to re-season these every few months, but we don't really do it that often.

With Le Creuset, the key is not to overheat them when there's nothing in them as you are running the risk of damaging enamel surface, otherwise they are great. We also use their wok which is basic cast iron surface on the inside (no enamel) and we treat it the same as Lodge, zero issues after many years of use.

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
There is a ton of varying advice on this subject.

I will say I can absolutely understand why one will grind down some modern cast iron. Among my collection I have a modern Lodge which I purchased new that . . . I swear . . . had a surface like velcro hooks. Yes I put my earplugs in and sanded it down. It is a very nice pan now.

My preference these days is carbon steel pans such as made by DeBuyer or Mafter. I believe that using a solid steel turner/flipper is essential. What is not scrapped off is what makes the nonstick base. Furthermore I think that the chain link scrubbers are the best thing in the world for cast iron. Now they are available fairly inexpensively.

After you clean your pan . . . right after you are finished cooking and maybe even before you get to eat your portion of what you made for your family . . . return it to the sill warm stove burner and wipe down with a little little little bit of oil.

There we go. . . That ought to be fairly controversial . . . but this is what works for me.

I have modern Lodges that I only sightly sanded, just enough to take a little of the edge off of the roughness and they work great. I recently picked up a vintage Griswold at an antique store for cheap and it works great. I have a Finex, and while it works well, it is far too heavy in my opinion.

If you don't want to mess about with finding a vintage piece, I would suggest going with the Field brand. It's what I would get more if I didn't already have everything I have.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
After you clean your pan . . . right after you are finished cooking and maybe even before you get to eat your portion of what you made for your family . . . return it to the sill warm stove burner and wipe down with a little little little bit of oil.

There we go. . . That ought to be fairly controversial . . . but this is what works for me.

I'm with you on that one, Bro. Although, sometimes I let one sit after I've cooked some scrambled eggs and at times I get a pretty good stuck on mess glued to the bottom. I put hot water in it and let it soak for awhile, then dump the water out and put a good layer of coarse kosher salt in it. If the plastic scrubbie pad doesn't get it all off with that I'll use the chain mail scrubber my step-daughter got me last Christmas. She got me two of them and I love them.

Then I dry it, put it back on the stove over the gas flame, and heat it until lightly smoking. Then I put a light coat of Crisco shortening on it with a paper towel. Careful...it's hot.

Just got a Stargazer....I'm in love.
proxy.php

Couple others I use.
Lodge and Bluebell (sanded modern)
proxy.php

I think the modern Lodge's are textured to accept the pre-seasoning treatment they put on them these days. Otherwise, they'd be out of business. Most Millennials don't know how to use a cast-iron skillet, let alone season one!
If it's a true cast-iron skillet, it will need re-seasoning and maintaining, but for my money, there's nothing better!
If you're looking for a smooth-surfaced skillet, you could buy vintage cheap.
My dad used to buy old skillets at flea markets. It didn't matter if they were dirty with cooking build-up, or even rust. He had a mate of his sand-blast them, then oil and season them, and they were as good as new.
Those old skillets had the smooth, machined surface you may be seeking.
If you consider vintage, be sure to check that it is not warped from improper use.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Lodge has a new line that is thinner and lighter. I haven't tried them but saw them at the Lodge store.

With the posts makes me think I have not any experience. I tried the grinding as Iam curious and trying ng to prevent egg sticking

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Looking at the prices of the modern, higher-end cast iron, I'd just as soon look around for vintage Griswold, Wagner, etc. that is in good shape. If you are willing to spend the same money, you'll have no problem whatsoever finding what you're looking for on your friendly, neighborhood online auction site. If you are willing to be more patient and put in a bit more work (whether by searching around or cleaning and seasoning), you might find yourself a stellar deal.

I love my Griswolds.

For lower end, I would stick with Lodge. It took me a while to get my Lodge skillets working like I wanted them, but I wouldn't trade them now for anything. I actually like the heavier weight, and I'm glad I have the option between the heavier Lodge and the lighter Griswold, as they behave differently. My cornbread comes out much better when baked in my Lodge skillet, and that's because of the weight.

I've thought about grinding the bottom of pans. Used to have a lot of cast iron, always preferred cooking with it. However, once we got a glass stove top, the wife won't let me near it with cast. Maybe if I could get one smooth enough she'd relent.

bberg100. would a counter top portable work for you? I noticed when i was tinking with the lodge i grinded, it took a bit of room on the stove top with the handle not extended off the stove. i am pondering a counter top portable due to this size.

With the posts makes me think I have not any experience. I tried the grinding as Iam curious and trying ng to prevent egg sticking

That's probably what it is, a bit of experience and experimenting goes a long way.

Seasoning is the key, thin, very thin layer of pork lard on the inside (very, very lightly applied), in the oven for 3-5 hours at 200-250 face down with some parchment paper underneath for any potential drips works fairly well (and you can repeat this few times before you ever start cooking if you're OCD... repeating won't hurt it - but washing after use with the soap or detergent will). :D :D

I also agree with @Alacrity59 on just a tiny amount of oil every now and then after you've cleaned and completely dried your cast iron (before you store it away). Yeah, there's slight risk of oil going stale on it if you don't use it for a very long period of time, but I'm talking about "barely there" amount.

Before you start cooking, give it a chance to heat up. Just leave it on low/med heat for 2-5 minutes (without any oil in it)... while you scramble your eggs, set the table and what not. It's a bit tricky to start and initially can get frustrating to cook on cast iron, but once you get it, I swear, there's just more flavor, better searing (and less drying) to pretty much anything you'll cook. Also more even heat distribution is additional benefits (bread, cobblers... etc... all excellent on cast iron).

I've thought about grinding the bottom of pans. Used to have a lot of cast iron, always preferred cooking with it. However, once we got a glass stove top, the wife won't let me near it with cast. Maybe if I could get one smooth enough she'd relent.

I can't guarantee anything of course, but our (also glass top) stove is now 12 years old, and I can't say that cast iron is particularly damaging to it. I won't claim it's as good as new, but I don't think there's any more "wear and tear" than you would get anyway - regardless of pots and pans used.

Top Bottom