What's new

Do you use a magnifying mirror?

There is a mirror over two meters in my bathroom. Practically, from the floor, almost to the ceiling. But I decided to put another magnifying glass on top of it. I ordered with x10 magnification, which turned out to be too much and I returned it because a small part of the face took up the entire mirror. I did a little research and it turns out that for the most realistic reflection, without image distortion, a magnification of up to x3 is recommended. Well, now I found one with a built-in light that has a magnifier with a magnification of up to x2.5. A bit pricey but hopefully better than before.

What do you think about this topic, do you use such pampering as a magnifying mirror? Will this make shaving even more enjoyable?

I was gifted one. It made me very happy when I received it. Never been able to get used to it, in spite of trying several times. Not sure where it is now.

We have a reversible mirror with a regular side and a magnifying side. I find that I can't use the magnifying side for shaving - too much distortion. It is useful for other things though.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I tried a magnifying mirror and did not enjoy it. I am long sighted and wear spectacles for reading but not normally for shaving. Some time ago, I could not work out why my lather appeared unsatisfactory. After some confusion I realised that I was wearing my spectacles, and the lather was in focus; I removed them and the lather looked back to normal. Strangely, when I had my glasses on, and the lather didn't look right, I somehow convinced myself that I was having a rough shave; I was even considering changing the blade. As soon as I took my glasses off, the shave was smooth and easy and no blade change was necessary. My conclusion is that removing spectacles improves blade performance, or maybe not. I also realised something of which I had previously been unaware - that I spend the majority of my actual shaving time with my eyes closed. So, I prefer a regular mirror, but without my spectacles so everything is just a little bit blurry, that is what works best for me 😆

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My wife has one of those countertop lighted, magnifying make-up mirrors. I use it to shave around my nose.. and when I trim my ear and nose hair. I wouldn't use it for my whole shave, that's for sure.

I wear my glasses when I'm shaving other than when I wash my face afterwards and during my post shave face treatment routine. I'd never be able to do the clean-up without them. I could probably shave by feel but I prefer being able to see what I'm doing. <eg>

I think we've all tried a mirror with more than x3 magnification, which as I mentioned above is not good. It magnifies and distorts the image too much. This is probably the reason for the unnatural feeling and disapproval.

The one I ordered now is only x2.5 magnification, no distortion, designed specifically for shaving.
When I mount it, I'll say how things look through it.

Yes I use one. I use it for three reasons.
1. To make sure I get all the hairs on my chin.
2. To see the back of my head when shaving.

When finished, along with feel, I look to make sure I got everything just the way I like it.

Very useful. I enjoy using it.

I’ve had a 2X on a wall mounted swing away hing for several years and plan to upgrade it to a 4X. Saw a 7X at Costco…that is way too strong for shaving.

Top Bottom