What's new

Modern Cast Iron

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Made in U.S. isn't a factor for me, but it does seem most of the modern higher-end stuff is in the States.

Ditto.

IMHO a high-end pan could be made overseas ... by a company that insisted on maintaining and paying extra for high standards ... and end up being noticeably less than the "made in USA" high-enders, but ...

... I suspect a large enough proportion of the market for the high-end pans are also invested in the "made in USA" aspect (or believe that the overseas versions will all be like the cheap ones regardless of price) so it won't make sense to do it.

Ditto.

IMHO a high-end pan could be made overseas ... by a company that insisted on maintaining and paying extra for high standards ... and end up being noticeably less than the "made in USA" high-enders, but ...

... I suspect a large enough proportion of the market for the high-end pans are also invested in the "made in USA" aspect (or believe that the overseas versions will all be like the cheap ones regardless of price) so it won't make sense to do it.
The Butter Pat and the Marquette stand out.

I am also thinking it's time to get a new higher-end carbon steel mother... maybe Mauviel :)

Read the thread on cast iron but there's something I have been thinking about for awhile:

Of the modern iterations of "high-end cast iron," does anyone have any experience/recommendations? I have two vintage pans that I love but are both on the smaller end of the spectrum. I'm looking at the ones you'd expect: Butter Pat, Stargazer, Smithey, etc. I should note that I am looking for something big -- 13/14".

I have had Lodge before and don't adore them.

Would love to hear from you all.
Louis j Cast irons yt channel is fantastic for all cast iron. He mentioned an older company in South America called Victoria that makes high end stuff recently. They are having an oppsie sale because they didn't season their first batch of their new line correctly. Easy fix imo. We have Lodge, (alot) camp chef and utopia to name the usuals. Been looking at Stargazer and Finex personally. Oh Victoria has a basic line alotmlike Lodge and their oppsie sale is 40 percent off , very tempted, they are also numbered for the first batch.

Last edited:
Here are my Butter Pat pans. One is 12" and one is 14". Had them for a year or more and love them both.

For background, i was getting tired of buying non stick skillets that would last a year, and then lose the coating. The last straw was buying an allclad non stick that i thought would last longer because it cost alot....wrong, it just cost alot.

So I went on line and kept reading that well seasoned cast iron would solve my problem. I bought a Lodge. It was ok, but the bottom was rough as hell, and no matter how much i used it, i couldn't get enough seasoning on it to make eggs without breaking them. I suppose if i stuck with it for a for 5 to 10 years, i could have gotten enough seasoning, but i didn't want to wait that long.

Back to the internet to see what I was doing wrong. I found that what i needed was a vintage, refurbished pan or one of the ones from the brands you mentioned. (Because of the smooth surface)

After alot more reading, I decided to go with Butter Pat because of where they are made, and because the production process seemed to be as close to vintage production as i could get.

I bought the 12" first. The pre seasoning that it came with sucked. The first eggs on there ended up about the same as the Lodge. But, after a seasoning with crisco and a couple of meals cooked in it, I finally found what I was after. I got the 14" because I cook often for my family, and with a family of 5, I quickly realized the 12" was doable, but 14 would be ideal.

I can wholeheartedly say I would buy these 2 again in a heartbeat. I think that you would be happy with Butter Pat too. However, I went from Lodge straight to Butter Pat. The others that you have mentioned, i.e. Stargazer, Smithey, Finex, etc... may be just as good as Butter Pat. Those are the same ones that I was looking at when I took the plunge. I was vacillating between which brand to buy...I just landed on Butter Pat for whatever reason. Hope this helps a smidgen and doesn't just make your decision more difficult!
When you say “for whatever reason,” do you happen to remember what sent you away from Smithey and Stargazer? Butter Pat remains in first, but those are the other two. Good chance I get a nice sorta standard sized 12 from one firm and a big boy from another. I love baking in cast iron so want one that’s sized to handle pizza, cinnamon rolls, etc.

do you happen to remember what sent you away from Smithey and Stargazer?
I do. I was impressed by Butter Pat's casting process. If you believe the hype (which I clearly did), Butter Pat uses a casting process that is as close to old fashioned (i.e. non machine) casting as possible. The way it comes out of the cast is what showed up on my doorstep. Each of my pans are hand numbered, which I assume corresponds to pan # X of batch # x. I'll attach a picture of that too.

All the others basically use Modern casting, which results in a rough surface. Lodge ends the process here, which is why their pans are rough. Smithey, Stargazer, etc.. go a step further and grind their surfaces smooth.

At the end of the day, all of these high end cast irons probably perform the same. I just figured if I was going to spend a boatload on cast iron, I might as well go all in on the one that was made the way they used to make'm. The consensus seems to be that an old, well cared for Griswold is the best anyway.

Anyhow, as I mentioned, I bought the 12" first. I was so pleased with it that I just stayed with Butter Pat for the 14".

Attachments

• 20230322_211646.jpg
    20230322_211646.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
I do. I was impressed by Butter Pat's casting process. If you believe the hype (which I clearly did), Butter Pat uses a casting process that is as close to old fashioned (i.e. non machine) casting as possible. The way it comes out of the cast is what showed up on my doorstep. Each of my pans are hand numbered, which I assume corresponds to pan # X of batch # x. I'll attach a picture of that too.

All the others basically use Modern casting, which results in a rough surface. Lodge ends the process here, which is why their pans are rough. Smithey, Stargazer, etc.. go a step further and grind their surfaces smooth.

At the end of the day, all of these high end cast irons probably perform the same. I just figured if I was going to spend a boatload on cast iron, I might as well go all in on the one that was made the way they used to make'm. The consensus seems to be that an old, well cared for Griswold is the best anyway.

Anyhow, as I mentioned, I bought the 12" first. I was so pleased with it that I just stayed with Butter Pat for the 14".
Thanks so much. Last question (sorry!): How does the 14" do on your stovetop? I have some small concern that the bottom is so large it won't heat evenly. I like the idea of the big one for pizza and baking for sure, but how does it do with, I don't know, making potatoes for the fam in terms of heat distribution?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Thanks so much. Last question (sorry!): How does the 14" do on your stovetop? I have some small concern that the bottom is so large it won't heat evenly. I like the idea of the big one for pizza and baking for sure, but how does it do with, I don't know, making potatoes for the fam in terms of heat distribution?
CI is not a good distributor of heat. I suggest long preheating, preferably in the oven, as a way to overcome that deficiency to a degree. It is pretty good at holding onto heat.

CI is not a good distributor of heat. I suggest long preheating, preferably in the oven, as a way to overcome that deficiency to a degree. It is pretty good at holding onto heat.
Yeah, that I know. I have a carbon steel pan from Blanc Creatives that is more likely to be what I sear a steak in at this point. But I won't deny I have a romantic affinity for cast and I enjoy using the couple vintage ones I have. Alas, they are both on the smaller side, a No. 8 and a No. 6.
I'd like to buy a No. 12 and maybe even something bigger that I can begin treating like something for my young daughter to take when I am gone. The fact that Smithey does engraving has kept them in the running specifically for that reason.

When I got interested in a new cast iron skillet I ended up taking a "deep dive" into researching, like I do with most everything else. I found that there is not consensus support for a lot of claims that are tossed around about cast iron. For example, that a smooth surface provides better performance with easier seasoning -- the alternate theory camp says that rough surface is superior.

What resonated the most with me was a You Tube comparison of a few high end skillets (I think one was a Field) and a lowly, inexpensive Lodge. The girl doing the video cooked the same stuff and had different performance metrics that she considered. Her conclusion was that the high end pans were no better.

I ended up buying a Lodge Blacklock. It has an odd mosaic appearance on the cooking surface, while my (old) regular Lodge is a uniform black. The Blacklock also is more finicky about sticking, despite the factory "preseasoning" and my multiple re-seasonings. I like that the Blacklock is lighter, but, if I was buying today I would get the regular Lodge in 10".

BTW, the best cooking tip I got about cast iron came from right here in the B&B: nonstick spray. That, and careful attention to the temp of the pan, yields nonstick close to teflon.

I have one "large" burner on my stove...12 inches i think. It does fine on there, so long as I let it sufficiently pre heat. The outer edge doesn't get quite as hot. Most of the dishes I make end up in the oven any way (fried potatoes included); after a quick sear on the stove top. I have also done what @Tirvine suggests.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
How does the 14" do on your stovetop?

The simple solution is to use it on a wood cookstove. :) Works pretty well around here.

Gentle preheating is required on a non-wood stove with smaller heating area. Even then, expect that it may warp a little over time.

I've also used ours for pan pizza and it works, but because I'm rising the pan dough in the pan that means it's going to be built in the pan and then the cold pan is going into the oven. As @Tirvine points out, cast iron isn't a great heat conductor (but it's great at holding it once it's hot). For pan pizzas in my rectangular pan I don't typically need to bother with the baking steel and a long preheat. Using the Lodge skillet I usually need the steel, and preheat the oven all the way up for 45 minutes to an hour. Then turn it down a little right after loading and it still takes longer to finish than in my other pan.

O.H.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Just because CI and CS are not great conductors does not render large ones useless on a much smaller burner. They just require a little more attention, moving things around to cook them evenly. The humble pancake, however, being stationary, will show the burner marks!

Well, I have ordered the Butter Pat 12". Knowing my own psychology, even if the Smithey, Stargazer, etc. are just the same at $XX cheaper, I will always wonder if the Butter Pat is "better." I'll run with that a bit and then look into a couple others to add to the repertoire. . . likely something larger like a 14" or even two-handled mother that would see a lot of baking and/or large amounts of veg for sautéing, and then a 10", maybe looking for something on the lighter side as a quick eggs in the morning pan.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
We have several vintage pieces of cast iron and modern Lodge. The wife seems to just naturally reach for the modern 10” Lodge skillet, 99% of the time, regardless if it’s just a couple of fried or sunny side up eggs or larger stovetop meals. We have an old Griswold 12” that is easily over a 100 years old. She only pulls that out if we are entertaining guests for dinner.

I think we several other smaller skillets like a #6 Wagner and some other American vintage #8 that never get used.

We also have a Lodge flat griddle that never gets used because she can do pancakes in the 10” Lodge. We have a Lodge grill skillet with the raised grill she will pan grill asparagus and squash and things like that on.

We have always been interested in carbon steel, but is it just me, or does every brand of quality carbon steel have those crazy long handles on them?

We have always been interested in carbon steel, but is it just me, or does every brand of quality carbon steel have those crazy long handles on them?
When I started my research my intent was to buy a carbon steel pan because I had read somewhere that it was the best. Anyway all the different comparisons and analyses suggested to me that as far as cooking the carbon steel and cast iron are about the same, although the carbon steel in the same size pan might be a little bit lighter. IIRC every carbon steel pan had a long handle and I figured that the cast iron would be easier to store.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
When I started my research my intent was to buy a carbon steel pan because I had read somewhere that it was the best. Anyway all the different comparisons and analyses suggested to me that as far as cooking the carbon steel and cast iron are about the same, although the carbon steel in the same size pan might be a little bit lighter. IIRC every carbon steel pan had a long handle and I figured that the cast iron would be easier to store.

Agreed. I can’t sear a thick steak in a carbon steel on the stovetop and then stick that long handle in an oven? How does that work?

Reactions: tm3
Agreed. I can’t sear a thick steak in a carbon steel on the stovetop and then stick that long handle in an oven? How does that work?
I think I saw some dude on YouTube stick his carbon steel in the oven after starting on the stove. Probably depends on the size of the pan and how the oven racks are set. But I do think that trick would be easier with cast iron due to the handle configuration.

This thread got me wondering if there was anything new out there since I was last looking. I came across this. I don't know if they are legit -- hard to tell these days what is real evaluation and what is just thinly veiled marketing. Interesting that they ranked a $25 pan so highly.

Top Bottom