What's new

Minimalists

This makes me think, it's time to think about cutting back a bit........so I've joined the GRU-summer to start culling the heard...
after all I started wet shaving to save money.....turns out its so much more....but that doesn't mean I can't have a wonderful close shave..........
Maybe my 3+ month sabbatical we'll help brake the back of all my ADs.

Id like to join the M.O.B.B. but don't feel I qualify yet. I may already have enough soaps and blades to last 2 years maybe more. If anyone wants to join the Gentlemanly restraint until summer today is the last day to join up. I guess this could be the first step toward minimalism.

Last edited:
Need a definition of minimalist.
^Definitely open to ideas. Perhaps we could have our members or members-to-be add a picture of their dens and we can vote? I'm currently underway, otherwise I'd be the first to show off my gear.

^Thank you, sir!

Sounds like a great idea. Very creative.
^I appreciate it Mr. West

Are you speaking of minimalist in a shaving sense, or in all walks of life. I'm slowly making steps to be both, and would gladly be in.
^Currently all I'm thinking is the shaving sense. But good luck on your path of doing more with less!

I'm going to start by using up a puck of Stirling Barbershop that is in my mug. I will only use 1 brush for the duration which will be a Vie-Long 13061 horse. I will only use my Merkur 34HD with any blade that I have in my cabinet. I will only use Aqua Velva AS until that bottle is gone. I hope to not use my styptic pencil. No PSO of any type. I will stop entering any PIF and definitely will stay with the GRU-Summer.

Thanks for taking the first step, Troy.
I will be using my Muhle R89 with whatever blades I have left in my sampler first. I bought 100 Personna Blues on amazon a couple days ago, so no more blade purchases. I think I'll jump between my Omega boar brush and AoS badger brush. I also have my alum block and I THINK that's all I'll be using.
Oh, soaps! Just bought my first tub of Proraso white and my wife bought me a puck of D.R. Harris Almond.
So one razor, two brushes, and two soaps. Those are the main ingredients!
Pictures will get uploaded whenever I get back home.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Ah, another example of MOBB mentality.

Fortunately, the same acronym applies to Maximalists of Badger and Blade.

If you're going to do this I agree that you need to clearly define what qualifies as minimalist.

In my case I'm down to a razor for home, a razor for my seasonal home and a razor for travel with two brushes each for the homes and one for travel. I only have 5 soaps total with one at the seasonal and one in the travel bag and a rotation of 3 at home. I do hve a couple of razors to sell and I'll be there.

BTW, the M.O.B.B. name is pure genius.

My minimalist efforts, as far as shaving goes, are focused mostly on soap at this point. I would like to get down to one soap that gets replaced with the same. I have one ASB and witch hazel. I have one boar brush in daily use and one synthetic brush in a travel kit. My extravagance is my seven day set of straight razors, though I have promised myself that if I add a razor I must get rid of one. If I don't count the money I spent on the two razors that I made from scratch, my most expensive straight is a $22 Gold Dollar.

I don't see why the minimalists would want more letters than M.
+1
The letter M should suffice (probably the only embellishment would be an agreed font size). PLUS no other acronyms in your signature. Nothing else. Now that's stripping things to basics.

Who's bold enough?

mswofford

Rest in Peace
+1
The letter M should suffice (probably the only embellishment would be an agreed font size). PLUS no other acronyms in your signature. Nothing else. Now that's stripping things to basics.

Who's bold enough?
I think that we would risk Stewards and Moderators refusing to join; their signatures are a valuable reference for members.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I'd be interested in joining, but I fear that I am about 5-6 years away of "use it up mode" to meet the membership requirements :tongue_sm

I'd be interested in joining, but I fear that I am about 5-6 years away of "use it up mode" to meet the membership requirements :tongue_sm
Man, I'm with you there. I like the idea though. And I agree that it's a good idea to set up some criteria for what qualifies as minimal.

As I ponder this a little more, I'm not sure I am cut out to be a minimalist. Sure, I could shave only with my Merkur HD every day until the head fails, but it might be too flashy. I could use only my 1950's model Ball End Tech and enjoy that tool every time, however, that gold plating might just be too much. I might choose the pre-war Fat Handle Tech and appreciate the ratty nature of the brass peaking through the plating and well, that just might work. But, I just received a new Cadet Open Comb and well, I want to use it pretty often, but not exclusively. So, I must bow out of the M.O.B.B. and focus on my participation in the GRU-Summer. Good luck!

I am in too if this is going to be a real group.

This will be a good discipline at least for me.....

We would all just have to decide on the guide lines (rules)....

That's all i can say for now.... being minimal.......

PS I can get by with just the Arko since I love it....... and a Tech razor.....

John H.

It's like a monastic order. You need to hear the calling. I don't, but i like the idea.

On the other hand, if it were a Belgian monastic order, there would be plenty of beer . . .

Top Bottom