What's new

Minimalists

Minimalist. Defined as what? One razor, one brand of blade, one brand of soap, one brush, one bowl/scuttle? Or forgo the bowl, face lathering only? How minimal is minimal?

I am in too if this is going to be a real group.

This will be a good discipline at least for me.....

We would all just have to decide on the guide lines (rules)....

That's all i can say for now.... being minimal.......

PS I can get by with just the Arko since I love it....... and a Tech razor.....

John H.

Nice minimal use of ellipsis. :p

I like the idea and I'm in. Afterall, I started a minimalist thread a couple weeks ago.

A definition or rules could be the hard part. Setting a number of items would be tough. And just saying ou can't add anything unless you use something up isn't good either. For example, I only have one razor, but think (after the GRU-summer is over) that I might like an OC or slant better, so not being able to add a second razor would be too much. And someone with a large collection of soaps/creams/AS who aspires to simplify should be welcomed. So perhaps the rule should just be kept minimal, and leave it up to the indivdual to decide if they're worthy or not.

I'm in, though perhaps out of necessity. I need to cut back in all areas, and this might just be a grand start to the pilgrimage.

M is good, it was the first thing that came to my mind also. I have minimum objection to any consensus on the signature line.

I see this thread (guild) as a kind of continuous restraint where a purchase does not necessarily knock you out, and of course there is no year end splurge either. Since it is endless it brings home the idea that it is a lifestyle not something you are going to suffer through till the end date. I would suggest that the only requirement for membership is attitude.

It took me one year to realize I wanted to have only a very few things. I have been so stressed, trying to figure out what variables gave me a great shave one day, then trying to micro-tweak something for the next shave, only to forget and try something completely new and mess up the semi-systemactic search for my best shave. After a period of 4 months, of dutifully and blissfully using what what I bought, the avalanche of addictions came. I quickly reached a state of satisfaction or satiety, and then, no joking, eventually apathy which grew into disgust (at myself). And even panic set in when I thought about how long I would need to make my collection look like how I wanted it: simple. (That should have been a hint right there). So, recently, really at the height of this anguish, I ruthlessly slashed my collection down to one favorite soap, one special-occasion cream in a tube, one open-comb and one brush that share a nice chrome stand, one closed-comb hiding in a pouch just in case, and one pre-shave oil, aftershave splash and balm. I've been selling off my stuff, and I feel so great that I even don't shave some days, and don't mind, which is an improvement from the real mental anguish I had been feeling. At least I'm making some guys happy on B/S/T. Phew, that was a post! Just wanted to share.

So minimalism to me would be: feeling anxious about taking even one step in the maximalists' direction. That feeling indicates something real, I found.

Last edited:
So perhaps the rule should just be kept minimal, and leave it up to the indivdual to decide if they're worthy or not.

I'm sort of a minimalist, but I actually want a variety of razors, especially now that I'm starting with straights. I use the cigar box rule of thumb: My razor collection has to fit nice in a cigar box. Also, new razor in = old razor out.

ah sweet. I may order a few custom printed shirts with a club logo on it. We should probably invest in an official web site, and show our pride by wearing some type of patch, and a specific razor. Im looking for a new razor anyways.

I'm sort of a minimalist, but I actually want a variety of razors, especially now that I'm starting with straights. I use the cigar box rule of thumb: My razor collection has to fit nice in a cigar box. Also, new razor in = old razor out.

Sounds like a good rule of thumb for you. A cigar box is a nice size for a managable collection. And I apply one in, one out for other things in the house, and probably will for soaps and aftershave. Hard to do that with razors when you have just one. Well, maybe I still have an old sensor handle or 2 that I could use....

I really hope someone will come up with some rules so I know if I could qualify for this.

This is what I am having at this moment:
- R41 and 15C as "real usage razors". R41 as my regular shaver and 15C if I need to mow down a lot.
- One cheap RiMei for traveling and one cheap Chinese no-brand shavette for testing straight. Both are cheaper than I can ship them so I am not going to sell them.
- One brush
- One soap
- Some blade samples and about 500 Voskhod and 500 Polsilver and 70 Astra
- A bit of regular Jojoba oil as preshave.

That is all. No aftershave nor anything else.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I find myself becoming more and more of a shaving minimalist as I establish favorites.

I own three razors but only ever use the Mergress (one is on loan to a newbie).

I'm currently only using Castle Forbes Lavender, Lime and Ultimate Comfort.

I usually use one of my SOC's - but can a guy with two SOC's call himself a minimalist????

I'm working down to one or two blades.

My hesitation would be that I buy whatever pleases me and would not want to offend anyone if I decided to get a tub of coconut cream. I've become more of a minimalist because I have clear favorites and feel like it's a little silly not to use what I love.

And then there are the 5 empty slots in my leather fountain pen case. And I currently only own one pair from Alden.:mellow:

I'm 65 y.o. and a bit of a prepper, so I have a shaving supply sufficient to last the rest of my expected lifetime. I consider minimalism to be having no more than enough (best estimate) for just one lifetime. So count me in.

I'm 65 y.o. and a bit of a prepper, so I have a shaving supply sufficient to last the rest of my expected lifetime. I consider minimalism to be having no more than enough (best estimate) for just one lifetime. So count me in.
NICE! If only .22 ammo was as easy to get as DE blades!

Top Bottom